Aspen repair cost...

MIm20c

I feel that long term support is important for a customer to have confidence in a product. To feel like the company will be there to help when their product self destructs and not try to take advantage of the customer in that situation. 

I’m going to be honest I’m a little disappointed in the new policy Aspen is using for legacy owners who make up 90% of the customer base. A charge of $7k is now in place for those who are currently having problems with a single screen system and would like to upgrade.  SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS!  My fear is aspen will start raising the price of fixing older units (with old used parts) to persuade those AOG owners to upgrade to the max. 

I’m happy with my Aspen.  I like the way it compliments my panel.  I’ve recommended it many other pilots over the years.  I am no longer recommending the Aspen system and for me the company greed is the main reason. 

Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The repair prices are not fixed. They range from around $2k to a max of 5k depend on what failed. The upgrade prices are fixed and increased after the pre purchase   program to $5k (from 3k). Now people with failures are reporting that aspen is charging them an extra $2k to do the upgrade even though most the hardware is changed out as part of the process.  I feel that aspen is making a grave mistake trying to squeeze its current customers for that extra 2k if their current display is having a problem. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is completely ludicrous if they have the screens in stock and that is the only issue with the device. Is Aspen hurting so bad that they have to force their legacy customers over to Garmin?
Wow lots of us high-rolling CB’s are almost done recovering from our ADSB upgrades and are eying the G5 or E5. At least with the G5 I can replace the whole certified unit with new for $2k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MIm20c said:

I feel that long term support is important for a customer to have confidence in a product. To feel like the company will be there to help when their product self destructs and not try to take advantage of the customer in that situation. 

Don't hold your breath. Telltale signs that a company is going under are: low sales, serious cash flow struggles, and nothing unique about the product to make it stand out from the competitors.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

Wow lots of us high-rolling CB’s are almost done recovering from our ADSB upgrades and are eying the G5 or E5. At least with the G5 I can replace the whole certified unit with new for $2k.

This is my point. I really like my system and think the E5 is extremely nice as well.  BUT Aspen needs to realize the landscape has changed in the pfd market.  They really need to try hard to retain/value their current customers. I have no problem spending 2-2.5k to fix my current system with serviceable parts. However, I want a reasonably priced upgrade path if I choose which is IMO $5k. 

If this new policy is permanent I’ll probably buy a new E5 system (if mine fails) and slide it in. Along with selling my broken parts should be in the 3.5-3.8k range. Another option at that point might be just to buy a competitors system. 

Aspen’s pricing did solidify one thing for this user. I will never spend one more dime upgrading my old system (second screen, AOA, SV, adsb unlocks) as that would “lock” me into the repair pricing schedule.  

I love my Aspen PFD, and this is very disappointing to hear.  I'm glad that I went with the intro upgrade price for the single screen of $3000, but now jacking it up to $7000 sounds a little nutty. I agree that the recently STC'd Dynon and Garmin offerings will make it very hard for them to compete in the market going forward for new installs as well.

We do offer repairs, which are typically half the price of an exchange. Exchange pricing did go up last year and is the same price for the MAX upgrade, just under $5k.

The MAX upgrade is a great deal. Nobody else offers a trade in type upgrade program for a 10 year old display that brings it up to the latest and greatest version with a two year warranty. We even allow folks with a broken display to get into a MAX unit for $5k. The MAX unit is plug and play too, no wiring changes needed unless you choose to add an audio panel interface.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Aspen Avionics said:

We do offer repairs, which are typically half the price of an exchange. Exchange pricing did go up last year and is the same price for the MAX upgrade, just under $5k.

The MAX upgrade is a great deal. Nobody else offers a trade in type upgrade program for a 10 year old display that brings it up to the latest and greatest version with a two year warranty. We even allow folks with a broken display to get into a MAX unit for $5k. The MAX unit is plug and play too, no wiring changes needed unless you choose to add an audio panel interface.

I appreciate this response. I really do like my aspen system and I’m hopeful for new innovations over the next decade. I enjoy talking with your reps at S&F and osh, especially Andy who seems to know his stuff. 

Is the AHARS module retained during the upgrade?  Is that the reason why some failed units are being quoted $7k for the max upgrade?  You directly said failed display would allow for the normal max pricing, any other parts that would keep the $5k upgrade pricing intact?

You mentioned the $5k exchange program.  I assume that is to replace a failed pre max unit with rebuilt pre max unit. 

I understand and agree that the early adopters who prepaid for the upgrade deserve the 40% reduction in price.  From where I stand 2.5k for a repair and 5k for a max repair exchange is my limit. I think you will find others that agree. 

Thank you for posting on MooneySpace!

Edited by MIm20c

20 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

I appreciate this response. I really do like my aspen system and I’m hopeful for new innovations over the next decade. I enjoy talking with your reps at S&F and osh, especially Andy who seems to know his stuff. 

Is the AHARS module retained during the upgrade?  Is that the reason why some failed units are being quoted $7k for the max upgrade?  You directly said failed display would allow for the normal max pricing, any other parts that would keep the $5k upgrade pricing intact?

You mentioned the $5k exchange program.  I assume that is to replace a failed pre max unit with rebuilt pre max unit. 

I understand and agree that the early adopters who prepaid for the upgrade deserve the 40% reduction in price.  From where I stand 2.5k for a repair and 5k for a max repair exchange is my limit. I think you will find others that agree. 

Thank you for posting on MooneySpace!

I believe their repair pricing is $2.5k for a non-Max unit returned for service and returned to you. If you want to have your non-Max unit exchanged, it looks like it is $5k. You can also do the Max upgrade, even if the unit needs to be repair. If I had a non-Max unit, I would do the $5k upgrade to a Max. It addition to getting a Max unit, you get 2 additional years of warranty.  You can also add in the extended two year warranty on the Max for another $795 (single unit) if you are concerned about extended warranty service. This extends your warranty to 4 years.

Where did you get the $7k from $2.5k repair + $5k to upgrade to a Max? 

Edited by Marauder

Welcome aboard [mention=18903]Aspen Avionics[/mention]...
Feel free to introduce yourself.
It is nice to know who is giving the details behind the screen name...
You can include contact information and website details in the area called the signature line...
Best regards,
-a-

It’s an internet name. His real name is Peter. As in Peter Garmin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

Where did you get the $7k from $2.5k repair + $5k to upgrade to a Max? 

I use high level math when calculating anything aviation related.  The numbers almost never add up especially around my wife.  

I’m going from postings asking for help with a malfunctioning aspen unit. I’ve read about 5 in as many months. In every case they were told the unit needed to be fully functional before the max upgrade (@ listed price) could be done. A couple recent ones listed 3k for repair or 7k for a repair using the max upgrade parts. 

I believe the rep above is referring to the display portion of the pfd to be replaced for free during the upgrade. I’m pushing for any malfunction (inside the pfd) to be fixed/replaced for the upgrade price.

The E5 is the same price as the upgrade and uses the same hardware. It also includes a $600 RSM antenna. There is NO reason why a loyal customer should pay more for the same hardware upgrade (even if the old unit was run over by a dump truck) than a new E5 purchase. 

It might be that a current failure needs to pay extra because they are skipping forward in line because of the backlog. I’m not sure but, as I said, I hope it’s not company policy. 

I use high level math when calculating anything aviation related.  The numbers almost never add up especially around my wife.  

I’m going from postings asking for help with a malfunctioning aspen unit. I’ve read about 5 in as many months. In every case they were told the unit needed to be fully functional before the max upgrade (@ listed price) could be done. A couple recent ones listed 3k for repair or 7k for a repair using the max upgrade parts. 

I believe the rep above is referring to the display portion of the pfd to be replaced for free during the upgrade. I’m pushing for any malfunction (inside the pfd) to be fixed/replaced for the upgrade price.

The E5 is the same price as the upgrade and uses the same hardware. It also includes a $600 RSM antenna. There is NO reason why a loyal customer should pay more for the same hardware upgrade (even if the old unit was run over by a dump truck) than a new E5 purchase. 

It might be that a current failure needs to pay extra because they are skipping forward in line because of the backlog. I’m not sure but, as I said, I hope it’s not company policy. 

Why don’t you call up Mike Studley at Aspen technical support and ask? The Max upgrade is more than just the display. The only thing that remains from an original unit is the configuration module, the ACU, the RSM (separate components) and the bezel housing for the PFD or MFD. being upgraded. The entire internal electronic module and the glass display are replaced. When Aspen said “broken display”, I think they are referring to the entire unit not just the glass portion.

Instead of speculating, ask them directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

I must have mis-read the OP's comment. I didn't realize he was upgrading too. So $2.5k to just have it repaired and returned. I would expect these solid-state devices to have a much lower failure rate than my iron gyro relics. It would be nice if Aspen, which is a company I want to succeed, could do a flat-rate evaluation and repair as needed (i.e. $500 bench eval fee plus parts up to a $2.5k maximum). Who knows, maybe Aspen's are so reliable that they rarely ever deal with failures and/or their support techs have very limited space and manpower considering the MAX upgrade volume.

I have yet to purchase a G5 or E5. I am being pushed to Garmin by my avionics vendor but he can give me a great deal on an Aspen install as he is trying to move the inventory. I digress; this chatter will for sure put nails in my CB club coffin.

The aspen rep above just said that a failed device can be upgraded for 5K total to max, 

or repaired for 2.5k

i don’t see where the 7.5K total is coming from.  The rep specifically stated that you don’t need the device to be functioning to upgrade it (so it’s not 2.5+5.... just 5 or 2.5).

of course, that is assuming that the poster is actually an aspen rep, Which I believe he/she is.

On 10/3/2019 at 5:11 AM, PTK said:

Don't hold your breath. Telltale signs that a company is going under are: low sales, serious cash flow struggles, and nothing unique about the product to make it stand out from the competitors.

aspen is doing a lot of things- but “going under” isn’t one of them.

1 hour ago, M016576 said:

aspen is doing a lot of things- but “going under” isn’t one of them.

Oh, that's just Peter Garmin, most of whose posts follow the diatribe of "if it isn't Garmin, it's crap".  

He's also expecting the KI-300 to be fully certified not later than 2016 so he can upgrade his King autopilot.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, M016576 said:

The aspen rep above just said that a failed device can be upgraded for 5K total to max, 

or repaired for 2.5k

i don’t see where the 7.5K total is coming from.  The rep specifically stated that you don’t need the device to be functioning to upgrade it (so it’s not 2.5+5.... just 5 or 2.5).

of course, that is assuming that the poster is actually an aspen rep, Which I believe he/she is.

I know I’m taking a lot of heat from current Aspen owners, especially those who have upgraded to the max system and that’s ok.  I talked at length to an aspen rep during sun and fun about the upgrade. 
For a repair to an older system the prices range from $1500 to not more than $5000 (exchange price). I asked how many repairs were under $2k and he responded not many. Most are in the $2.5-$3k price range.

Because I’m currently happy with my unit and I didn’t want another plane down for upgrades this fall I asked him directly.  “If I wait until my unit fails and send it in for the upgrade will the price be $5k” and he responded “no”. I inferred at the time it needed to be fixed before the upgrade could be done. However, that might have been to keep the plane from being AOG until an upgrade slot became available. 
The rep and I continued to talk and I suggested that I might just buy an E5 if mine failed and the repair was too expensive. At first he told me I would need a new RSM but then talked about just needing a compass swing calibration. 

I never said anything about $7.5k. The most recent posting about needing a repair was on BT I think. The poster stated 3k for a repair or 7k for a max upgrade. IIRC another poster agreed about the charges being accurate. 

If I’m wrong great, I will be ecstatic if ANY type of pfd failure will be accepted for the $5k upgrade and include a two year warranty to boot. My unit was already fixed a few years ago so I should be good for awhile. 

Have I wasted enough electrons worrying about an issue that’s not even an issue yet? Yep. I’m going to crawl under my rock again and wait until the double wide aspen screen is released...and then complain about that price like any CB should. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...