Cylinder #2 is a Hottie

Let's just spit ball this one.  Any one has a guess ask to why the cylinder #2 seem to run 30  to 60 degree hotter than the other 3?  And yet the EGT temperature for all cylinders are all about the same on average.  A quick review of the engine log for the past 8 years seem to show this engine has been flying like this without much issue.   

33 minutes ago, corn_flake said:

Let's just spit ball this one.  Any one has a guess ask to why the cylinder #2 seem to run 30  to 60 degree hotter than the other 3?  And yet the EGT temperature for all cylinders are all about the same on average.  A quick review of the engine log for the past 8 years seem to show this engine has been flying like this without much issue.   

how about some more info like engine and model of plane

If it’s a Continental, #2 is the most rear cylinder on the left side of the plane. They get a little less cooling and on a TSIO 360 it’s next to the oil cooler that is also radiating heat. This explains a minor elevation in #2 CHT but if you are getting a large difference then baffles might be the problem. 

Cylinder 3 is the center cylinder on a the right side. It really has no direct bearing on  #2 CHT. 

Edited by CaptRJM
Hit submit too soon

Flake...

Time to update some data next to your avatar...

the detail you gave... cylinder #2 ... might have more meaning if we know what engine it’s is on... or what plane it is sitting in...

Or since we are only spit balling....  can we call this a win? :)

You can get more answers, and more accurate answers... with more complete information...

The avatar data stays around, until you change it...

Best regards,

-a-

Guys,  I just realized I posted this in the wrong section of the forum.  Since the question is really about Pre-J module, I was making the assumption that most Pre-J model come with Lycoming IO-360 or O-360.  Since cylinder #2 is actually in the front near the opening, in my non-enginniering mind, it should run colder.   

In any case,   does any one know how to move this thread to Pre-J section?  

Thanks

Flake,

You May try to a cut and paste maneuver...?  Better make that a copy first, than paste...

As the author of the thread... you have rights.

Our Web master can possibly move things as well...   try the report a post button... fill in your challenge details...

reporting a post sends a message to the top...

Most mistakes like this just fade into obscurity over time...

Best regards,

-a-

baffeling - on the plane not your question

Probe

wiring

leaks around the altenator generator other low pressure area leaks

Exhaust pipe routing

Cowl flaps

different cylinder heads

How the little rod that ties the two shields around the cylinder heads is functioning or not if replaced with safety wire.

My ‘66 E has ALWAYS indicated 50 higher on #2.  If it wasn’t indicating that I would think I have a problem.  That said the temps are not over 360 except MAYBE in climb on a hot day.  Never over 400.  I attribute it to probe placement or maybe type.  I believe the OEM probe was also on #2 so the position and possibly the type of probe is different.  Non-issue for me.

Edited by RogueOne