TWA Super Connie at JFK

MB65E

I hope this hotel is there forever. They really nailed it! They renovated the old hotel and made the Connie into a really nice lounge in terminal 5.  It’s the entire airplane with ground handling equipment and everything. Highly impressive being the airplane nut I am!! I had some time to kill and checked it out. The fact that the general public can see the thing for free is really neat. Worth the AirTrain inter terminal train ride.

Awesome!

-Matt 

042B3495-3B36-4D95-AA50-E1DC422DE61F.jpeg

4E583AA9-0FDE-43B2-9859-2F94E7AB8671.jpeg

BFECDDCF-2873-4412-A1D0-45096C5FE93D.jpeg

• Like 12

So, somebody had to get the Connie airworthy enough to fly it there and then turn it into a lounge on site at JFK, or they turned it into a lounge and flew it in that way.

There is a story there somewhere.

I watched them make the Columbine II airworthy at KAVQ last year, so there are shops out there that can do it.

Thanks for posting that @MB65E Matt.  My father flew the military version of this "back in the day"...the EC-121 Warning Star.  Had the large domes on the top and bottom.  He later transferred to the E-3A AWACS, and then retired in 1976.  I'll have to show him this post, as I can imagine he has a few really cool stories as part of both of those assignments...

Steve

Lockheed EC-121D.jpg

E-3 AWACS.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

So, somebody had to get the Connie airworthy enough to fly it there and then turn it into a lounge on site at JFK, or they turned it into a lounge and flew it in that way.

I watched them make the Columbine II airworthy at KAVQ last year, so there are shops out there that can do it.

I don't actually know how they did it, but it is certainly possible the plane was shipped in pieces by ground transport instead of being made airworthy again

• Like 1

Nope, came on a flatbed wings off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

My dad used to tell me that when he would fly in the 747 in the early 1970s, there would be a piano bar upstairs and people would just stand around smoking and drinking and talking and singing along all merry - and this must be before they invented seatbelts.  Or airbags.  Or safety.  Hahah...

17 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

My dad used to tell me that when he would fly in the 747 in the early 1970s, there would be a piano bar upstairs and people would just stand around smoking and drinking and talking and singing along all merry - and this must be before they invented seatbelts.  Or airbags.  Or safety.  Hahah...

American Airlines had a lounge in their First Class cabin... I think it was in their Lockheed Electras that I was on regularly between BNA and New York and Chicago. I don't recall if there were seat belts on the couches. (When I was flying frequently in the late '60s First Class was a pretty nominal up charge and business travelers flew first class.)  

• Like 1