JPI830 install in a 1977 M20J, sender issues

jetdriven

So I am installing a JPI830 in the 1977 Mooney M20J. As you know these things have mechanical manifold pressure gauges and mechanical oil pressure gauges. JPI instructions tell you to put another oil restrictor fitting in the crank case and a 6 inch length of hose to the transducer. The transducers are 1/8 inch NPT while all of the fittings on the aircraft are all –AN4 flare fittings. I can’t thread a second oil restriction fitting into the accessory case without removing the top right engine mount. I called JPI and asked them . he said put a T in it and when I asked him what kind of tee that has a female AN fitting on it he said put a hose between a T fitting in the firewall.  So youre gonna have a 10 inch oil pressure hose a T fitting with four fittings there and then another length of hose to the firewall there simply isn’t enough room in this airplane to do that kind of thing.

As for the manifold pressure it looks like a little aluminum tube flared onto an AN fitting. . But again the manifold pressure is 1/8 inch NPT. I don’t have a clue how to get from here to there. Has anybody else done this? 

C1303C1A-1E3E-47E3-9797-832E7A8C4097.jpeg

6919A521-8788-4F89-85E2-15CEB35A4143.jpeg

DB30F82C-69D9-4343-B92F-AB10A2FEE30F.jpeg

A58A1F9D-FF33-4A2F-B16F-59567326E622.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by jetdriven

Byron- @jetdriven- the problem with your oil pressure installation is that you're not using Camguard.  B)

I just did this on my M20C a year and a half ago.  I added the T-fitting for oil pressure, but for space considerations (as you're finding) I used the AN804 bulkhead fitting at the firewall like the photo below.

So, per the instructions for the JPI 730/830 on page 7, I used an AN910-1D fitting attached to the sensor, an AN816-4D into that, my newly fabricated line (I made mine out of aluminum line, rather than flexible), into the T-fitting (below).  The existing oil pressure line went into that, then through the firewall where the existing line connects.

IMG_2275.JPG

IMG_2276.JPG

IMG_2144.jpg

• Like 1

Facebook group, mooney  pilots, I found a guy who has both. So thanks to him I am getting the oil line with a date code of 1975 out of the cockpit. 
As a side benefit the oil pressure no longer increases five psi in steep turns. Nor does it jump up 10 or 20 PS I when I push  on the gauge. Pressure on the oil line behind  the gauge would make the needle move higher. 
Nobody except me, it seems to be, upgrades from 1977 technology to 1978

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 1