New Panel Plan

8 hours ago, trmii said:

thomas1142, Congratulations on the project launch.  My M20R panel project is underway too.  Do you have anything on the Interconnect that you can share.  I am still sorting through my redundancy modes.  Tom

Only what I have read on Garmin of the G3X, GFC 500, and the G5. From my understanding the 7” G3X will revert to a PDF/MFD if the 10” fails. The problem, or not, that is see is that both the 10” and the 7” share the same ADHRS units, so if that fails both units are out of commission. That is when the G5 comes in, with its independent ADHRS and 4 hour battery. I also have back up for getting on the ground in weather, if 530w, with the KX 155. Next years plan is to change out the 530w and the 155 with a GTN 750 and a GNC 255. 

1 hour ago, thomas1142 said:

Only what I have read on Garmin of the G3X, GFC 500, and the G5. From my understanding the 7” G3X will revert to a PDF/MFD if the 10” fails. The problem, or not, that is see is that both the 10” and the 7” share the same ADHRS units, so if that fails both units are out of commission. That is when the G5 comes in, with its independent ADHRS and 4 hour battery. I also have back up for getting on the ground in weather, if 530w, with the KX 155. Next years plan is to change out the 530w and the 155 with a GTN 750 and a GNC 255. 

you actually can get the second G3x with its own ADHRS, but it still can't be the backup instrument. I tried and failed to make that happen. Has to be a G5. 

But the G5 is pretty amazing with G3x and GFC500.  If the G3X fails, the G5 takes over...and still drives the GFC500. All the modes you've already selected for the autopilot, for your approach or whatever, remain selected and the machine just keeps flying.  G5 displays both course deviation and glidepath/glideslope.  You can switch it to run from GPS/Nav 1 to GPS/Nav 2 in case of a failure.

If your only GNS/GTN fails, or both of them fail--well, G3x has its own GPS and its own database with all the approaches in there. It is not certified for flying an approach. But if both my navigators have failed, I'm declaring an emergency (or if both radios went with both navigators, I'm squawking 7700/7600), and I fly what I can fly.

The entire system is very, very slick. Backups all over the place, long before you have to go to your iPad. OBTW, G3X has Connext, so you BT your tablet running Garmin Pilot to the G3x--upload flight plans, they go to G3x and direct to GTN.  Change flight plan on either G3x or on GTN-- GP asks you if you want to update the FP on your iPad. I also have a GTX345R--which has its own BT if  you want just weather, traffic, and attitude to your tablet but not flight plans. I use both BT's with two different tablets in the cockpit.

You've chosen wisely.

also--tough to see in this photo, but my GMC507 autopilot control head is mounted below the EDM900.  Great place for it, easy to reach all the buttons.  I find I use the heading knob on GMC507 to move the heading bug on G3X instead of the G3X left knob (which would need my left hand).  I find I change altimeter settings on the G5--a natural move for my right hand, and it changes it on G3X too.

you're gonna love it.

• Like 1

@thomas1142 looking a little more closely at your layout.  Is the panel in your J the same size and shape as in my 86 K?  If that's  correct, you may find you've got the G3x and/or G5  not to scale in your drawing.  Here's a pic of my whole panel minus glareshield. I think you may not have room to offset the G3X to the right as you have it shown and still get the G5 between that and the gear handle and radio stack.  Ditto for EDM900.  Hope this helps.

IMG_20191022_135717.jpg

• Like 1

Good question.

In summer 2018 I started flying Cirri.  Dec 2018 finally finished the whole SR22 instrument course...all behind the Avidyne system. I wanted to see how hard it'd be since all my 3000 hours are with round dials in USAF pointy nosed machines...and I never liked the HUD for anything but killing stuff.

But...the transition is easy.  Very intuitive, the scan contracts to a very small space.  You'll  love it.

I guess to be fair: I have about 10 hours with this new panel, I just picked it up and flew it away from the shop on 1 Nov. I haven't  yet hand flown an entire approach. 

• Like 1