New Panel Plan

5 minutes ago, thomas1142 said:

Cant get rid of the KX 155, and indicator, since it acts as Comm 2 and provides the only way to legally get down through weather if the GNS 530W goes down. 

Honestly, I’d reconsider not going with a sl30 or 255. With the sl30 ( probably only 1k more after you sell the 155 and indicator) you can connect it directly to the g5 bypassing the gad29b and providing an ideal all in one display to shoot an approach. 

Just now, MIm20c said:

Honestly, I’d reconsider not going with a sl30 or 255. With the sl30 ( probably only 1k more after you sell the 155 and indicator) you can connect it directly to the g5 bypassing the gad29b and providing an ideal all in one display to shoot an approach. 

I have some time to consider this conundrum, seems like there is a backlog of more than six weeks for all my stuff. I really don’t want to keep the 155 and indicator, but have to draw the $$$ line somewhere. I’ll check on the sl30, don’t know anything about it.

28 minutes ago, thomas1142 said:

Just pulled the trigger deposit made on hardware. Now the true design phase begins. Installer did not see any issue with the exception not everything will fit in the center stack. Will probably have to go to a GTX345R. 

Cant get rid of the KX 155, and indicator, since it acts as Comm 2 and provides the only way to legally get down through weather if the GNS 530W goes down. 

I dont think you can put a 345r with a 530. You need a 650 or 750 for that

7 hours ago, donkaye said:

I originally thought about keeping one mechanical VOR/GPS head, but was talked out of it by my installer.  That was one of the best decisions I made on the planning.  I would scuttle the mechanical indicator.  Remember you have the same course shown on the G5 should you loose the G3X Touch.  Also, move all the switches and clock somewhere else and either move the G3X to the left or move the G5 to the left side and also the JPI under it but turned 90° to make it vertical.  See pictures below for my panel. I couldn't quite center the PFD over the yoke, but have not noticed any issues at all flying it as shown.  I took these a couple of days ago.  Due to cost I won't try to change your mind about installing the G500TXi over the G3X, but look at the fantastic display possibilities available with it.  On approach before the final approach course I  keep it on the 40/60 size for a larger map display, then switch to 60/40 for the larger PFD.  And then, of course, there is the inset HSI map if you want it.  BTW, the autopilot flys the G5 altitude not the G500TXi altitude.

2 Panel for N9148W.jpg

3 Panel for N9148W.jpg

4 Panel for N9148W.jpg

If i were going with a gfc500, i think the g3x would be better than the txi. Even trek at garmin said the g3x if more user friendly than the g500txi but its only limitation is single engine aircraft and non pressurized.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thomas1142 said:

What do you mean by “installing the G500TXi over the G3X, but look at the fantastic display possibilities available with it“? Is it the pic quality, because the G3X splits the screen and has the same feature (mostly).

The display functionality of changing between 60/40, 40/60, and HSI map inset is what I was referring to.  I am not very knowledgeable about the G3X (not ready to read another 492 pages of a product I m not going to be using), but my understanding is its interface capability is more limited than that of the G500TXi.  For example I hear that the GDL 88 (I have one of those) won't interface and some nav radios.  Also, this thread discusses some other things that I would not be happy about.  Still, it's a great alternative to the TXi.

https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=171954

Only 384 pages for the G3X. Read more than once, still digesting all the options. From what I have read, multiple split options are available, 4 different types of inset windows, even a g meter over the HSI ( why you ask, beats me). Also the HSI can overlay Certain data. 

On 10/1/2019 at 12:51 PM, thomas1142 said:

Not necessary, but the G3X will be without the EIS option. I want engine monitoring separate from the G3X. If the G3X dies the G5 is the backup, but no engine info in that case.

Not sure I agree with that logic.  I would forego the EDM 900 and jsut go with the G3x.   In the unlikely event the G3X takes a dump, you can get by without engine gauges for a descent and landing.

Edited by Austintatious

2 hours ago, thomas1142 said:

Hi Hank,

Nice to meet you, finally, at the Summit.  That’s the plan, when the G3X is in split mode the PFD will be on the left and instruction to installer is to center it on the column.

Inviting @Hank  

some of us have been around MS and the other places for a while...  

We are starting to look quite similar...:)

best regards,

-a-

I originally thought about keeping one mechanical VOR/GPS head, but was talked out of it by my installer.  That was one of the best decisions I made on the planning.  I would scuttle the mechanical indicator.  Remember you have the same course shown on the G5 should you loose the G3X Touch.  Also, move all the switches and clock somewhere else and either move the G3X to the left or move the G5 to the left side and also the JPI under it but turned 90° to make it vertical.  See pictures below for my panel. I couldn't quite center the PFD over the yoke, but have not noticed any issues at all flying it as shown.  I took these a couple of days ago.  Due to cost I won't try to change your mind about installing the G500TXi over the G3X, but look at the fantastic display possibilities available with it.  On approach before the final approach course I  keep it on the 40/60 size for a larger map display, then switch to 60/40 for the larger PFD.  And then, of course, there is the inset HSI map if you want it.  BTW, the autopilot flys the G5 altitude not the G500TXi altitude.
1055369090_2PanelforN9148W.thumb.jpg.0a7a74b66453b277b09951a9e3885187.jpg
1584243520_3PanelforN9148W.thumb.jpg.820226f22a533452f1d72073f6165e5b.jpg
83157363_4PanelforN9148W.thumb.jpg.538ffd7e44f4ffef972f896bc2f9d406.jpg

Very useful photos. Thank you.

I can’t find much detail about the GDU 1060 interconnect for this config. What else is needed besides CAN bus and HSDB (Ethernet) to GTN? I will have a GTX345R also connected to the GTN. Made hardware deposit today and want to be ready for the detailed design meeting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trmii said:

Very useful photos. Thank you.

I can’t find much detail about the GDU 1060 interconnect for this config. What else is needed besides CAN bus and HSDB (Ethernet) to GTN? I will have a GTX345R also connected to the GTN. Made hardware deposit today and want to be ready for the detailed design meeting.

Here's the GFC 500 interconnect diagram from Garmin.  This is how mine is wired.  Your shop should have the details.

G500 TXi GFC 500 Interface.png

20 minutes ago, thomas1142 said:

Here’s a question for the guys with mostly a Garmin panel. 

What capability (if any) do I loose if I go with a PMA 450B versus a Garmin GMA 350?

Telligence voice command.

44 minutes ago, thomas1142 said:

Here’s a question for the guys with mostly a Garmin panel. 

What capability (if any) do I loose if I go with a PMA 450B versus a Garmin GMA 350?

Even with the full panel upgrade I’m keeping the 8000BT. I really find it to be a good unit. Another positive about the 340/8000/450 is the pin/tray compatibility for future upgrades. I’m waiting for the model that responds to the controllers automatically. 
Does anyone know if the 350 is a slide in replacement to the 340?

7 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Even with the full panel upgrade I’m keeping the 8000BT. I really find it to be a good unit. Another positive about the 340/8000/450 is the pin/tray compatibility for future upgrades. I’m waiting for the model that responds to the controllers automatically. 
Does anyone know if the 350 is a slide in replacement to the 340?

From what I have read, it is not.

Here's the GFC 500 interconnect diagram from Garmin.  This is how mine is wired.  Your shop should have the details.
1455154641_G500TXiGFC500Interface.thumb.png.6b60300c4ba214b1cb4f9a5b518315a2.png

Here is what I gleaned so far. Meet with shop for details next. Any errors or major omissions?

New Panel Garmin Interconnect 101005.jpg

• 1 month later...

Photoshop can be very dangerous. I hope you don't mind that I took some liberty. The PMA450B slides right in where the GMA340 is, and unless you go with the GTN and want Voice Recognition, I honestly believe the money you spend on this upgrade you will be pleased with for many years to come.  :) 

PMA450B.jpg.10d054c30688f2e80ab868e57ffbe7d2.jpg