New Panel Plan

44 minutes ago, thomas1142 said:

Not necessary, but the G3X will be without the EIS option. I want engine monitoring separate from the G3X. If the G3X dies the G5 is the backup, but no engine info in that case.

Not really - the EIS is done via a separate box. As you are planning for a second display it will display engine information in case of a failure of the main screen. Therefore you would have the same redundancy as with the EDM.

That is the reason why I sold my EDM and got the EIS.

You would also get EIS via connext to Garmin Pilot once they release the feature (already available in the experimental version).

Do you really need the second indicator ?

5 minutes ago, thomas1142 said:

Second indicator is still been contemplated. Redundancy, if GPS is lost, how would I get down in weather?

If gps was lost you could just shoot an ILS off the 530. However, if you mean the 530 goes down then I agree. I’d probably replace the 155 with a Garmin 355 that could communicate with the g5. 

I see you plan a GFC 500.  VNAV is really a nice function to have.  The only way you will get that is with a GTN.  While the GNS 530 still has some value and you're doing a major overhaul of your panel, you should consider a GTN installation now.  The 355 won't cut it.

• Like 2

Hey Angelos!

We meet again... :)

Looking over your panel layout... have you considered the alignment of the attitude and HSI with the yoke...?

lining up the center lines may be helpful, if possible...

Does the install information give any guidance on setting the positioning?

Long hours, in IMC, scanning... having some things centered with the yoke will be better for the neck and eyes....

If mostly VFR on AP... not an added challenge.... :)

Fantastic panel!

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

Looking over your panel layout... have you considered the alignment of the attitude and HSI with the yoke...?

I think Anthony makes an excellent point, about lining up the artificial horizon/HSI display over the yoke.  This might be the best argument to move the ELT left and the backup CDI to the right of the main screen display.  Not having them aligned (or at least close) with the yoke would be noticeably odd after a while and would distract from a really beautiful panel- IMO.

• Like 2

I originally thought about keeping one mechanical VOR/GPS head, but was talked out of it by my installer.  That was one of the best decisions I made on the planning.  I would scuttle the mechanical indicator.  Remember you have the same course shown on the G5 should you loose the G3X Touch.  Also, move all the switches and clock somewhere else and either move the G3X to the left or move the G5 to the left side and also the JPI under it but turned 90° to make it vertical.  See pictures below for my panel. I couldn't quite center the PFD over the yoke, but have not noticed any issues at all flying it as shown.  I took these a couple of days ago.  Due to cost I won't try to change your mind about installing the G500TXi over the G3X, but look at the fantastic display possibilities available with it.  On approach before the final approach course I  keep it on the 40/60 size for a larger map display, then switch to 60/40 for the larger PFD.  And then, of course, there is the inset HSI map if you want it.  BTW, the autopilot flys the G5 altitude not the G500TXi altitude.

2 Panel for N9148W.jpg

3 Panel for N9148W.jpg

4 Panel for N9148W.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andy95W said:

Not having them aligned (or at least close) with the yoke would be noticeably odd after a while and would distract from a really beautiful panel- IMO.

I had the same concerns with my panel but after flying it for about 30 seconds you realize its no big deal.....

Your panel looks great!  What were your considerations in lining the PDF up with the yoke in the 40PFD/60MFD vs "Full Mode".  I am in the design phase of a G500/EIS, GFC500, G5, GTN750 upgrade to my 2000 M20R.  For the G500,  I will have an EIS strip on one side or the other.  My current design has the 20% EIS on the left, 40% PFD centered over the yoke and 40% MFD on the right.   Any advice would be appreciated.

I am also considering placing the GMC 507 at the top of the panel.  This lowers the horizon on the PFD about 1" vs where the steam gauge is now.

15 hours ago, carusoam said:

Hey Angelos!

We meet again... :)

Does the install information give any guidance on setting the positioning?

Long hours, in IMC, scanning... having some things centered with the yoke will be better for the neck and eyes....

If mostly VFR on AP... not an added challenge.... :)

Fantastic panel!

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Hi Hank,

Nice to meet you, finally, at the Summit.  That’s the plan, when the G3X is in split mode the PFD will be on the left and instruction to installer is to center it on the column.

6 hours ago, donkaye said:

I originally thought about keeping one mechanical VOR/GPS head, but was talked out of it by my installer.  That was one of the best decisions I made on the planning.  I would scuttle the mechanical indicator.  Remember you have the same course shown on the G5 should you loose the G3X Touch.  Also, move all the switches and clock somewhere else and either move the G3X to the left or move the G5 to the left side and also the JPI under it but turned 90° to make it vertical.  See pictures below for my panel. I couldn't quite center the PFD over the yoke, but have not noticed any issues at all flying it as shown.  I took these a couple of days ago.  Due to cost I won't try to change your mind about installing the G500TXi over the G3X, but look at the fantastic display possibilities available with it.  On approach before the final approach course I  keep it on the 40/60 size for a larger map display, then switch to 60/40 for the larger PFD.  And then, of course, there is the inset HSI map if you want it.  BTW, the autopilot flys the G5 altitude not the G500TXi altitude.

2 Panel for N9148W.jpg

3 Panel for N9148W.jpg

4 Panel for N9148W.jpg

What do you mean by “installing the G500TXi over the G3X, but look at the fantastic display possibilities available with it“? Is it the pic quality, because the G3X splits the screen and has the same feature (mostly).

1 hour ago, trmii said:

Your panel looks great!  What were your considerations in lining the PDF up with the yoke in the 40PFD/60MFD vs "Full Mode".  I am in the design phase of a G500/EIS, GFC500, G5, GTN750 upgrade to my 2000 M20R.  For the G500,  I will have an EIS strip on one side or the other.  My current design has the 20% EIS on the left, 40% PFD centered over the yoke and 40% MFD on the right.   Any advice would be appreciated.

I am also considering placing the GMC 507 at the top of the panel.  This lowers the horizon on the PFD about 1" vs where the steam gauge is now.

When you split the screen the AI and the HSI stay the same size as if the screen was only PFD. My rational was that when flying an approach I would have the PFD centered on the yoke and the approach plate in the MFD, left side. If the AI and HSI were larger in the full screen format, it might not matter, but since they stay the same size having them right in front of me is much better. I don’t have EIS on the G3X so that space is free.

GFC 500 in center stack since the copilot is my wife, rated pilot, takes care of most of those actions. I would want the G3X as high on the panel as possible, head up as much as possible.

• Like 1

Just pulled the trigger deposit made on hardware. Now the true design phase begins. Installer did not see any issue with the exception not everything will fit in the center stack. Will probably have to go to a GTX345R. 

Cant get rid of the KX 155, and indicator, since it acts as Comm 2 and provides the only way to legally get down through weather if the GNS 530W goes down. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thomas1142 said:

Just pulled the trigger deposit made on hardware. Now the true design phase begins. Installer did not see any issue with the exception not everything will fit in the center stack. Will probably have to go to a GTX345R. 

Cant get rid of the KX 155, and indicator, since it acts as Comm 2 and provides the only way to legally get down through weather if the GNS 530W goes down. 

I know exactly how it goes. Mine is in the shop right now with a similar layout and had to go with a remote transponder to avoid putting something back in the right panel.

• Like 1