Dr. Bob Achtel Flys West

donkaye

By now most of you might have heard that our very good friend and long term supporter of the Mooney Community "Flew West" last Sunday morning.  He's been a fixture in the MAPA Log for years with his interesting and often humorous and well written articles.  We shared a home with Bob and Ricci for over 20 years in Oshkosh at AirVenture where Bob never failed to give at least two Forums and was instrumental in bringing pulse oximeters to aviation.  He gave numerous presentations over the years at the MAPA Homecomings.   Bob owned an M20E, M20K and finally an M20M.  He loved flying, and Shirley and I would often fly up to Sacramento where Shirley and Ricci would  go off shopping and Bob and I would go flying.  Those shared times will be missed...

• Like 9
  • Sad 2

On 10/2/2019 at 1:11 AM, donkaye said:

By now most of you might have heard that our very good friend and long term supporter of the Mooney Community "Flew West" last Sunday morning.

I'm very sorry to read this Don.

You would remember I met Dr Bob for the first time at the Mooney Homecoming I attended 10 years ago with you also in attendance.  In fact, I'm sure it was you who introduced me to Dr Bob.  I know how much of a friend he was to you.

Dr Bob was a humble gentleman and I always enjoyed reading his articles in the MAPA Log.

I never had the opportunity to meet Dr. Bob, but I thought that his column in the MAPA Log magazine was fantastic.    He offered medical advice that in my opinion was not only accurate, but courageous, by helping us pilots to know our rights and responsibilities.   He will  be missed.

Dr. Bob had a special way of making complex medical issues understandable by the non medical types. He was a great contributor to the MAPA Log and community. My dad would always call me after we got our monthly MAPA Log and ask me if I read Bob's article yet. He will be missed. RIP Bob and thanks for all the great articles.

I fondly recall Dr. Bob’s musings in the MAPA Log and on the Mooney@aviating.com listserv. 

Today, after an eight year pause in my flying, I have another Mooney, and I am scheduled to have Don Kaye polish the rust off of my flying skills next week. I was thinking about Dr. Bob today when I bought a portable O2 system along with a CO detector and a pulse-oxyimeter. My primary mission will be crossing the Sierras between Las Vegas and points in Northern CA.