Go ahead and eat that $100 hamburger, it ain’t gonna kill ya

Tony Starke

Remember when eggs were bad for you...then they were good? Remember when the world was headed toward the next ice age...and two decades later global warming? Remember when all the earths fossil fuel was going to be depleted by y2k? Well, here we go again...

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/chew-on-this-new-study-says-dont-bother-giving-up-red-meat-2019-09-30

Don’t have time to read it? Basically red meat just ain’t that bad after all.

Bon Apetit my fellow red meat eating, fossil fuel burning, beer drinking, over achieving aviators.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I eliminated a few foods from my life after June 1st and have lost 30 pounds.

Bread

Beer (except when in Bavaria for two weeks)

Chips

Cereal

Potato’s (in all forms)

I didn’t eat much candy before or sugar in pop.

The difference on joints and energy level is amazing.  Not going back.  Maybe a Pretzel bun once a week for a treat.  You don’t miss it after awhile.  Jack Daniels on the weekends with diet is A.O.K. With me.

Edited by RogueOne
  • Like 4

If you can eat red meat, eggs, and all that other stuff without gaining weight and stroking out good for you.  Honestly.  Me, I so much as look at a Chicklet and I gain 10 pounds.  Still, the easiest way to shave weight off your airplane is to take it of the pilot.

• Like 2

I’m a meatatarian.... it takes a commitment. :)

Unfortunately, I’m now a lean meatatarian....

The fatty meats have all the good flavor dissolved in it.  The charred ends are the best parts...

Why this aviation related....

you can’t fly a Mooney if your clogged artery stops your heart... For a long enough time...

Don’t fear the doctor, or the statins...

Go Class III -SI.... or Basic Med...

Or better... don’t have a heart-attack...

PP thoughts only, not a doctor....

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I kinda gave up on listening to food dangers in the 1970s during the saccharin "crisis."

Trivia. In 1964, Max Shulman (the creator of Dobie Gillis for  those who remember) published "Anyone Got a Match?". It was a story in which the tobacco industry, to combat negative publicity, begins a marketing campaign to show consumers food is worse than cigarettes. People get so nervous about eating, they start smoking. I think reading it in my early teens led to some of my attitudes in the subject.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2019 at 11:07 PM, RogueOne said:

I eliminated a few foods from my life after June 1st and have lost 30 pounds.

Bread

Beer (except when in Bavaria for two weeks)

Chips

Cereal

Potato’s (in all forms)

I didn’t eat much candy before or sugar in pop.

The difference on joints and energy level is amazing.  Not going back.  Maybe a Pretzel bun once a week for a treat.  You don’t miss it after awhile.  Jack Daniels on the weekends with diet is A.O.K. With me.

I went low carb two years ago. My A1C was very high and I have a family history of diabetes. I lost 20 lbs almost immediately and now my A1C is at the bottom end of the normal range. My blood pressure also went down. 

And I look great for 62.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I went low carb two years ago. My A1C was very high and I have a family history of diabetes. I lost 20 lbs almost immediately and now my A1C is at the bottom end of the normal range. My blood pressure also went down. 

And I look great for 62.  

I've got a non Mooney pilot friend who went low carb and has dropped some 40 lbs.   Still has a lot to go though.  Have a cousin who did the same with similar results. 

I'd love to give it a try but, man I love beer!!! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jwilcoxon78 said:

I've got a non Mooney pilot friend who went low carb and has dropped some 40 lbs.   Still has a lot to go though.  Have a cousin who did the same with similar results. 

I'd love to give it a try but, man I love beer!!! 

I accomplished those results without giving up the beer....

You can’t go totally crazy!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

I’m a meatatarian.... it takes a commitment. :)

Unfortunately, I’m now a lean meatatarian....

The fatty meats have all the good flavor dissolved in it.  The charred ends are the best parts...

Why this aviation related....

you can’t fly a Mooney if your clogged artery stops your heart... For a long enough time...

Don’t fear the doctor, or the statins...

Go Class III -SI.... or Basic Med...

Or better... don’t have a heart-attack...

PP thoughts only, not a doctor....

Best regards,

-a-

Agree 100% with the “Or better...don’t have a heart-attack...”

Eat better.  Lose weight.  Don’t have high blood pressure or need a statin.

Side effects: FEEL better.  Look better.  Have more energy.  Be able to easily switch tanks, put on laced shoes, lie on your stomach.  Ache less.

Enjoy a better quality of life.

NOT rocket science.

I am not dieting.  I simply changed my eating habits.  Four months in: WINNING

“The waters great.  Come on in”

Edited by RogueOne
  • Like 1

It's all calories in and calories burned. If you burn more calories than you consume you will lose weight. 

To feel better and live longer you need a healthy cardiovascular system. Get some exercise six days a week. 

I didn't change my diet, (well, I did almost eliminate fast food) just how much I eat and try to get in 60 minutes of exercise six days a week.

About ten months later I'm down 30 pounds and feel great. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

And I look great for 62.  

Works unless you are 45 :D

5 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

It's all calories in and calories burned. If you burn more calories than you consume you will lose weight. 

To feel better and live longer you need a healthy cardiovascular system. Get some exercise six days a week. 

I didn't change my diet, (well, I did almost eliminate fast food) just how much I eat and try to get in 60 minutes of exercise six days a week.

About ten months later I'm down 30 pounds and feel great. 

100% agree.  I have always exercised.  As you get older you must adjust your caloric intake because most don’t exercise like you are in your 20’s to 40’s when you are in your 50’s and 60’s.  For me it was elimination of five foods to get the calories in vs. burned back in line.  Subway is fast food.  I eat the hell out of their salads now.  Forces me to sit down and enjoy a meal.  Winning.

• Like 4

People forget that all this stuff about "studies say this" and "studies say that" is all a bunch of BS.  What studies actually do is give you some information that might help you decide how you want to live your life, if you know how to judge the quality of that information.  If you assume all studies are equal and try to listen (or not listen) to them all, that's where people get confused.  Most studies give you crappy information, but you can't assume they all do because (according to studies) about 10-15% of studies actually give you good information.

That being said, my understanding of the  recent AIM study is that it was suggesting the evidence supporting avoiding red meat is strong, but not strong enough to make it a blanket recommendation.  I think that's fine since it's a more nuanced statement than the black-and-white "don't eat red meat" statement a lot of clinicians resort to, and, in general, nuanced is closer to the truth than black-and-white.  Unfortunately, nuanced is not easy for public policy, because a lot of people are incapable or unwilling to think in terms of anything other than black-and-white.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RogueOne said:

100% agree.  I have always exercised.  As you get older you must adjust your caloric intake because most don’t exercise like you are in your 20’s to 40’s when you are in your 50’s and 60’s.  For me it was elimination of five foods to get the calories in vs. burned back in line.  Subway is fast food.  I eat the hell out of their salads now.  Forces me to sit down and enjoy a meal.  Winning.

Yes, and no matter how much you exercise your max heart rate goes down with age. You can't beat the grim reaper, but you can slow him down. If you're lucky you will look like @DonMuncy and still be flying around late in life. He looked a lot younger than some guys at the Summit that I think were 20-30 years his junior. 

Don, I can't believe I missed saying hi at the Mooney Summit...

48 minutes ago, Air pirate said:

Eat the good food, drink the good whiskey, dance like no one is looking, this is a short ride and no one gets out alive.

Carpe Diem eh Air Pirate?  Life is a lot more enjoyable if you are not obese, out of breath, in pain and miserable.  Rest assured “good food” as well as “good whiskey” is subjective :)

I don’t deny my palate much.  Finding a life balance can be learned at any point in the journey.

Love to watch others dance.  I dance like I did when I was 18 (like a mid 50’s Caucasian that is rhythm challenged). Still do it to the entertainment of all that witness “it”.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Yes, and no matter how much you exercise your max heart rate goes down with age. You can't beat the grim reaper, but you can slow him down. If you're lucky you will look like @DonMuncy and still be flying around late in life. He looked a lot younger than some guys at the Summit that I think were 20-30 years his junior. 

Don, I can't believe I missed saying hi at the Mooney Summit...

Thanks for the compliment.

I saw you and intended to chat, but we just missed connecting. Maybe next time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s not all what you eat that harms our body. I’m a whopping 140 lbs, with high cholesterol and hypertension. I’ve been on statins and HBP meds for 20 years, we can blame momma and papa for a lot of our issues.

• Like 1