New Hartzell alternator on factory reman IO-360 too big for M20J Baffling

jkarch

So I am making progress with the engine change over from the IO-360-A3B6D to the IO360-A3B6.  So far everything seems to be going together smoothly other than to say the metal paint Lycoming uses to paint the engines scratches too easily and installling the engine with the mount to the airframe was pretty tough. However I have a small stumper. The Hartzell ALX-8251LS alternator has a fan disk on it behind then pulley which does not fit the baffling without modification.  Question is: can that fan disk be removed from the alternator, or should I modify the baffling, or just go back to my old Plane Power alternator?  Also note a nice fact, the governor mount recommended by Dan at LASAR gets rid of the need for a fancy bell crank. So far it seems I have full range of motion on the prop control line so fingers crossed for this working.

0F0D0897-5EFA-4FEF-871C-E8F46CE9F67B.jpeg

6D87FD7D-1661-4DB5-8C35-58A4B7B6BBE5.jpeg

Edited by jkarch

I would not alter the alternator (pun intended), just cut the baffling. It’s a minor mod, your AP should state in the log that baffling was modified to account for the alternator.

I had a non standard alternator, my baffling was modified, when I replaced with standard PP, restored the baffling to it’s semi original condition (I removed the RAM air, so patched up that hole).

Tom

• Thanks 1

just a basic question here:

Is the Hartzell ALX-8251LS alternator approved for the M20J ? I don't think it is in the TCDS

And if there is an STC for the ALX, what is the benefit of using this model instead of the  ALY-8420 ?

I would not like to alter the alternator not would i like to alter the baffling