Mark Cline

Garmin G3X in M20M

I just had a Garmin G3X touch installed in my M20M.  Does anyone know how to make a checklist that can be displayed on the G3X?  I downloaded the Checklist Editor software version 2.30 (on a PC), but it does not come with instructions and the help files do not work.   Thanks!  

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

Nice, were the older round dial instruments required for backup, or was it your personal decision?

6 hours ago, gacoon said:

Nice, were the older round dial instruments required for backup, or was it your personal decision?

No, either the steam gauges or the G5 would have satisfied the backup requirement.  However, this is my first fully glass (other than G5s) and I wanted the steam gauges to ease the transition.  They are also good should there be some sort of catastrophic electrical event. 

1 hour ago, Emmet said:

For my 795 it needed to be in the root folder of the SD card. It probably works the same on the G3X …

Thanks, but how to you create the checklist on a computer?  The Garmin website says there are no help files for PCs, just Apples.  I don't have an Apple and can't find any instructions on how to use the Garmin Checklist Software to create the checklist that will be transferred to the G3X or the 769.  Thanks for any insight on this.  

If I remember correctly you have to call the file “chklist.ace” and have it in the root directory for Garmin to recognize it.

I have my Ovation one somewhere at home. If you want to send me a PM I can send it to you.

On 9/29/2019 at 7:00 AM, Mark Cline said:

No, either the steam gauges or the G5 would have satisfied the backup requirement.  However, this is my first fully glass (other than G5s) and I wanted the steam gauges to ease the transition.  They are also good should there be some sort of catastrophic electrical event. 

Great looking panel! I’m considering something similar on my M but have a few questions.  Is there a requirement for a battery backup on backup instruments?  Meaning, could you have gotten by with your round gages even though there’s not s separate back up for your electric driven AI? Also, how do you like the engine mk for on your G3x?

1 hour ago, Davidv said:

Great looking panel! I’m considering something similar on my M but have a few questions.  Is there a requirement for a battery backup on backup instruments?  Meaning, could you have gotten by with your round gages even though there’s not s separate back up for your electric driven AI? Also, how do you like the engine mk for on your G3x?

Not Mark but only the 2004 and later Ovation/bravo aircraft that have a true dual bus system can go without a battery backup on the AI. 

4 hours ago, Davidv said:

Yes, with the G3X the backup analog gauges would have been enough to meet the requirement.  My AI is vacuum pump driven, I did it that way if there was some sort of catastrophic electrical problem I would still have a way to keep wings level.  I know the likelihood of that is low, but it gives me comfort.  The G5 alone would also have served as a backup without the steam gauges.  An interesting point -- the weight and balance on the plane had been calculated since 1998.  This plane went on the scale when this job was done and I found by ripping out all the old wires, gauges, and other old stuff (I asked them to get rid of everything that was unnecessary) that I actually gained about 70 pounds of useful load.  Because this plane is FIKI certified, that 70 extra pounds was greatly appreciated as I am typically flying around close to max weight.      

On 9/30/2019 at 10:15 AM, MIm20c said:

Is the SL30 and 106 designed to backup for a gad 29b failure?

I got accustomed to having 3 radios in my other planes, and I just moved the SL30 over just to have the third in this plane (this is the serious going places plane - not just piddling around in VRF).  Yes, I know its overkill.  I moved the 106 over just for more security if all these new fancy toys fail, I can go back to the super basic navigation of the 1980s.  I have G5s in my other two planes and in one I got in turbulence so bad that the AI part of the G5 red Xed out.  That happened in VFR, but that that been in IFR a bit more nerve-wracking.  I like having the option to fall back on the old technology.  But then again, that is the technology that I first learned to fly on, someone younger may have a completely different perspective.    

• Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 10:09 PM, Mark Cline said:

RMp.thumb.jpg.9b01e6ab42d4c684e9d0e881af36c69f.jpg

Wow, nice!  But you have too much open real estate over on the right side that needs to be filled with some more toys! :lol: