The Maxwell's home burned down yesterday.

On 9/29/2019 at 1:21 PM, RogueOne said:

Not trying to be harsh and just thinking of how I have prepared (Insurance) for such a tragedy.  Why do people think they need financial assistance from such an event?  Why is the response to provide financial assistance?

I wonder if the homeless Veteran sitting on the curb has a “Go Fund Me” account?

Clarence 

On 9/29/2019 at 10:35 AM, exM20K said:

It’s less about financial assistance and more about a gesture of caring and concern. No go fund me campaign is likely to even make the financial needle quiver with respect to insurance proceeds, but it must be gratifying to know your friends and customers care and are thinking of you.

-dan

Hi Everyone,

I had a dialogue (online) with someone today that was adamant about not giving to a total stranger.  His reasoning was that he didn't know the Maxwell's and they should be covered by insurance.  I responded by saying that the majority of us in the aviation community whether we know someone or not are a group of people who genuinely show concern when another of us is in need no matter what the cause might be.  Don and Jan and their family are always helpful and kind to anyone who calls for advice or utilizes their shop.

Assisting them even in some small way is the very least we can do for them in this difficult time for them.  Also, its the little things that they need that we all forget about.  Medications, bank records, insurance paperwork, family memories, tooth brushes, reading glasses, clothes, phone books...etc.  I can only imagine what it must be like to leave your house for the day and return to find everything inside destroyed by fire or beyond recognition. 

I know from personal experience that when something like this happens it could be months before you realize that (one more thing) that is missing as our minds just do not have the bandwidth to remember every little thing that we had in our possession.

I spoke with Jan yesterday and they had made a run to Walmart to get clothes to wear to church.  Can you imagine the stress involved in just getting the everyday necessities and then finding a way to keep them available without a closet or a place to put everything?

I know the amount of money raised won't meet every need for them but it's the right and human thing to do to give what one can if at all possible.

Thanks again everyone who has chipped in to help them.  If you haven't already, please consider clicking the link below to donate.

Every little bit helps and the monies will go directly to them from the site.

Click Below:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/don-amp-jan-maxwell-house-fire

Thanks again everyone.  You are all  top notch in my book and I really appreciate you.

Best,

Michael Rodgers

West Coast Mooney Club

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/29/2019 at 10:21 AM, RogueOne said:

Not trying to be harsh and just thinking of how I have prepared (Insurance) for such a tragedy.  Why do people think they need financial assistance from such an event?  Why is the response to provide financial assistance?

To be clear.

The Maxwell's did not ask me to set up a Go Fund Me campaign and they did not know of its existence until yesterday.  The response to give assistance (financial or otherwise) is because its the right thing to do if one has the ability to do so.  I'm sure they are getting much love and support from their community in Texas and I am also certain that most of us are not close enough to deliver clothing or meals or anything else that may be needed.  Again, this is not "charity"  this is "KINDNESS" to fellow aviators and to a family that is held in high regard.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Everyone,

I had a dialogue (online) with someone today that was adamant about not giving to a total stranger.  His reasoning was that he didn't know the Maxwell's and they should be covered by insurance.  I responded by saying that the majority of us in the aviation community whether we know someone or not are a group of people who genuinely show concern when another of us is in need no matter what the cause might be.  Don and Jan and their family are always helpful and kind to anyone who calls for advice or utilizes their shop.

Assisting them even in some small way is the very least we can do for them in this difficult time for them.  Also, its the little things that they need that we all forget about.  Medications, bank records, insurance paperwork, family memories, tooth brushes, reading glasses, clothes, phone books...etc.  I can only imagine what it must be like to leave your house for the day and return to find everything inside destroyed by fire or beyond recognition. 

I know from personal experience that when something like this happens it could be months before you realize that (one more thing) that is missing as our minds just do not have the bandwidth to remember every little thing that we had in our possession.

I spoke with Jan yesterday and they had made a run to Walmart to get clothes to wear to church.  Can you imagine the stress involved in just getting the everyday necessities and then finding a way to keep them available without a closet or a place to put everything?

I know the amount of money raised won't meet every need for them but it's the right and human thing to do to give what one can if at all possible.

Thanks again everyone who has chipped in to help them.  If you haven't already, please consider clicking the link below to donate.

Click Below:

Thanks again everyone.  You are all  top notch in my book and I really appreciate you.

Best,

Michael Rodgers

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrRodgers said:

To be clear.

The Maxwell's did not ask me to set up a Go Fund Me campaign and they did not know of its existence until yesterday.  The response to give assistance (financial or otherwise) is because its the right thing to do if one has the ability to do so.  I'm sure they are getting much love and support from their community in Texas and I am also certain that most of us are not close enough to deliver clothing or meals or anything else that may be needed.  Again, this is not "charity"  this is "KINDNESS" to fellow aviators and to a family that is held in high regard.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Everyone,

Click Below:

Best,

Michael Rodgers

Michael:

Are you referring to my inquiry in your reply?  If yes then I am sorry that this is your response to what I wrote.  I would not take such money if donated to me in such an event.  I would donate to those that are truly in need when such a catastrophic loss event occurs.  I of course support any that wish to donate and support the Maxwells.  I obviously offended some and to that I say Mea Culpa.

If the Maxwell’s are uninsured or significantly underinsured for such a loss I and perhaps my employer would match such a donation.

19 hours ago, MrRodgers said:

To be clear.

Hi Everyone,

Click Below:

Best,

Michael Rodgers

Look at the end everybody should do what they feel is appropriate. I am sure Michael is not asking everybody to contribute. Thank you Michael, you took time away from other things you could or had to do, to set this up. You did not need to do it. Don did not ask you to do it for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if Don ends up donating the money to others who are in even more need. That is the person I feel he is (at least that is what he showed me in his calls). 

Hopefully, Don has insurance and it will cover for everything and soon they are in a new and even nicer home. From where I stand, I contributed because I felt that this was a way to show my appreciation and so he knows that others are here for him, the same way he was there for me when I needed his advice and help (he never charged me for anything).

let it be...

Oscar

1 hour ago, Oscar Avalle said:

Look at the end everybody should do what they feel is appropriate. I am sure Michael is not asking everybody to contribute. Thank you Michael, you took time away from other things you could or had to do, to set this up. You did not need to do it. Dan did not ask you to do it for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if Dan ends up donating the money to others who are in even more need. That is the person I feel he is (at least that is what he showed me in his calls). 

Hopefully, Dan has insurance and it will cover for everything and soon they are in a new and even nicer home. From where I stand, I contributed because I felt that this was a way to show my appreciation and so he knows that others are here for him, the same way he was there for me when I needed his advice and help (he never charged me for anything).

let it be...

Oscar

Thanks Oscar.  I appreciate your willingness to help them as I am certain they do as well.

Best,

Michael

13 hours ago, RogueOne said:

Michael:

Are you referring to my inquiry in your reply?  If yes then I am sorry that this is your response to what I wrote.  I would not take such money if donated to me in such an event.  I would donate to those that are truly in need when such a catastrophic loss event occurs.  I of course support any that wish to donate and support the Maxwells.  I obviously offended some and to that I say Mea Culpa.

If the Maxwell’s are uninsured or significantly underinsured for such a loss I and perhaps my employer would match such a donation.

I believe I was responding to M20Doc on his comment above and it was tied to your response regarding the homeless. Your Mea Culpa is acknowledged and appreciated. 

I spoke to Don & Jan and they are all so overwhelmed and appreciative to everyone for the kindness shown and the generosity from everyone in our community.

Knowing them, they may donate some or perhaps all of the funds and that's okay too.  I feel that it's the spirit of the giving and the benefit to others that may be in need that's important.

Either way, everyone can follow their hearts and do as they feel. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

If you don't want to donate then don't. There have been plenty of appeals made here that I haven't donated to. But trashing the GoFundMe that @MrRodgers set up and/or those participating is just being an ass.

Thanks for your donation Paul.  Its appreciated.

Michael, thanks for setting this up.

I get the whole plan ahead, have insurance, don't rely upon everyone else's generosity to make up for your poor planning, argument that has been raised. But I see this action that Michael has made in this way.

I have homeowner's insurance and I am sure the Maxwell's have homeowner's insurance as well. I have a deductible (very low one) and I am sure they have one as well (although what it is we don't know). If my house burnt down or was wiped out by an earthquake or some other covered event I would not be looking for someone to fund my misfortune. However a few hundred dollars to help offset a deductible, or help until the insurance was straightened out I am sure I would appreciate even though as my finances currently sit I would not need it. Michael didn't set up a huge GoFundMe looking to rebuild their home. Even if Don and Jan turn around and donate the money to some other worthy cause I am sure it is nice for them to see that there are folks out there (that they probably have never met) who care. It is also a chance for those who desire to do so to give a little.

When it comes down to it, giving and serving others is the one place I have always been able to find joy in this sometimes difficult journey through life.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

Michael, thanks for setting this up.

I get the whole plan ahead, have insurance, don't rely upon everyone else's generosity to make up for your poor planning, argument that has been raised. But I see this action that Michael has made in this way.

I have homeowner's insurance and I am sure the Maxwell's have homeowner's insurance as well. I have a deductible (very low one) and I am sure they have one as well (although what it is we don't know). If my house burnt down or was wiped out by an earthquake or some other covered event I would not be looking for someone to fund my misfortune. However a few hundred dollars to help offset a deductible, or help until the insurance was straightened out I am sure I would appreciate even though as my finances currently sit I would not need it. Michael didn't set up a huge GoFundMe looking to rebuild their home. Even if Don and Jan turn around and donate the money to some other worthy cause I am sure it is nice for them to see that there are folks out there (that they probably have never met) who care. It is also a chance for those who desire to do so to give a little.

When it comes down to it, giving and serving others is the one place I have always been able to find joy in this sometimes difficult journey through life.

Great sentiments.  My feelings exactly.

Michael it was a very nice thing you did setting up the fund for those who like to help others in a time of need, I understand why people do and do not wish to help others, I have difficulty understanding why some complain or come close to condemning those who do. I’m also surprised at the poor amount donated by what I felt was a tight nit community.  Mike and others expressed nicely why we help others, thank you Michael for your kindness.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Danb said:

Michael it was a very nice thing you did setting up the fund for those who like to help others in a time of need, I understand why people do and do not wish to help others, I have difficulty understanding why some complain or come close to condemning those who do. I’m also surprised at the poor amount donated by what I felt was a tight nit community.  Mike and others expressed nicely why we help others, thank you Michael for your kindness.

I became a first time Granddad yesterday.  My daughter delivered a wonderful little girl into the world.  I plan to support her until the day I die and beyond both financially and with abounding love.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.  Love and compassion.  Live it.

• Like 3

I’m glad to see an outpouring of gifts and thoughts, towards folks in our community...
Nice work, Michael for making giving of gifts so easy.

Very thoughtful.
Best regards,
-a-

Thank you. I appreciate your kind words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Thanks Dan,

Very kind of you to say.
Congrats on the Granddaughter. Mine will be 11 months old next week. It’s an amazing part of life to see the cycle continue like that. Enjoy every moment.5d50a904b8bc84f169a0a434dffac93a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...