Hand Held Radio

HIghpockets

Does anyone on the forum have an opinion about a recommended handheld radio to use as a back up? If so, please offer that opinion.

I have owned a Vertex for about 5 years. Small compact unit with a lithium battery. I was always irritated by the fact that it would open squelch anytime it was in my car. Made it impossible to listen to it while driving. Otherwise it has been a solid unit. Good reception and transmitting power seems good. It’s now stationed in my hangar.

Picked up an Icom recently hoping it would solve the open squelch in the car issue with the ANR feature it has. No luck. I bought this one with the standard battery pack. I used alkaline batteries initially. If you transmit a lot, it will go through alkalines pretty quickly. I have since switched to disposable lithium batteries. Much better.

I wouldn’t waste the money on a GPS/VOR version. The Vertex has it and I have never used it in flight. If I ever needed to resort to a non-panel navigation aid, I would use the iPad over the handheld. Why? If you need to communicate and navigate, switching back and forth between frequencies are extra steps. With today’s iPad apps, you have a solid navigation source to get you to VMC. I’m not too warm and fuzzy on shooting a VOR or localizer approach with a handheld. I’d rather get out of Dodge...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HIghpockets said:

Does anyone on the forum have an opinion about a recommended handheld radio to use as a back up? If so, please offer that opinion.

I have an icom that I bought new 30 years ago! I have it wired in for bu use and it happily lives in the airplane. It’s one solid radio! 

I use this guy.  Yaesu FTA-550AA NAV/COM Aviation Radio from sportys.  Get ATIS while arriving at field/before startup and nice back up com.  It comes with a headset adapter so can be used with headset no issues trying to hear or communicate. I charge it maybe once a month.   

• Like 2

I had a Yaesu that came with my aircraft.  When I had radio problems in June, I needed to rely on a handheld, which I discovered is useless in a loud Mooney without the ability to plug in the headset.  Shortly after that I upgraded to a newer Yaesu that has plug-in adapter for use with a headset.   I sold the old handheld for a bit over half the cost of a new one.   Highly recommend you get headset capability if your a/c is loud.

In the 30 years I've carried a handheld in my Mooney I've had to use it 3 times, including once during an instrument approach. 

In addition to a headset adapter, I strongly recommend you consider an external antennae jack.  It's a relatively cheap and easy installation.

iCom IC-A22 with a headset adapter, same issue with the squelch in an auto but no issues in a plane. Never really use the Nav side of it but I guess if everything else failed it would be better than nothing. I've loaned it out several times over the years and it just keeps going. External antenna would help on range but never have installed one

+1 for the new Sporty’s handheld. It has built in female jacks that you directly plug your headset into. No need to fumble fart with adapter dongles etc. It’s $200.

Otherwise you can scout eBay. I bought the older Sporty’s radio off eBay for like $12. This guy had a ton of Icom A3’s for $89! (Sold out now)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F303219881790

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/28/2019 at 12:06 PM, KB4 said:

I use this guy.  Yaesu FTA-550AA NAV/COM Aviation Radio from sportys.  Get ATIS while arriving at field/before startup and nice back up com.  It comes with a headset adapter so can be used with headset no issues trying to hear or communicate. I charge it maybe once a month.   

This is what I have as well and I'm very happy with it.