Mags Inspection

aviatoreb

What does the Mooney brain trust have to say on....

Its time for my mags 500hr inspection.  What specialty shops for this do folks recommend?

Issues that concern me are

-quality - of course - always - I want nothing but a good reliable job to be done.-cost

-quick turn around

-and I want back my own mags, rather than some look alike stuff from a parts bin. These are first run mags I bought 500hrs ago, so I would soon have back mostly my own stuff.

-reputation - for all the above.

• Like 1

Csobeech.com has a good list of vendors for aviation things.  I used the shop that was on his list.  With that being said it would be a good time to upgrade to a electronic magneto.  They don’t have 500 hour inspections so they are cheaper in the long run.  

I don’t know if you have impulse coupling mags or SOS but that’s the mag that is more expensive at the 500 hour inspection.  Replace it and 500 hour the other.

I did the 500 hour on my mags because it was cheaper today.

9 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

What does the Mooney brain trust have to say on....

Its time for my mags 500hr inspection.  What specialty shops for this do folks recommend?

Issues that concern me are

-quality - of course - always - I want nothing but a good reliable job to be done.-cost

-quick turn around

-and I want back my own mags, rather than some look alike stuff from a parts bin. These are first run mags I bought 500hrs ago, so I would soon have back mostly my own stuff.

-reputation - for all the above.

Aircraft Magneto Service, has been great to work with, never had an issue with their work.  This is what typically gets replaced on a set of Bendix mags.

Clarence

763B29D8-BA01-4E74-84A0-F8C9770E14B9.jpeg

BA3DA5EF-60EF-463C-AC48-C3EA5AD8F1C4.jpeg

23 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Aircraft Magneto Service, has been great to work with, never had an issue with their work.  This is what typically gets replaced on a set of Bendix mags.

Clarence

763B29D8-BA01-4E74-84A0-F8C9770E14B9.jpeg

BA3DA5EF-60EF-463C-AC48-C3EA5AD8F1C4.jpeg

Thanks Clarence!  I will do that!

What do you guess a big mag inspect runs/costs these days?

32 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Thanks Clarence!  I will do that!

What do you guess a big mag inspect runs/costs these days?

$500-$1000, but shipping and brokerage to and from Canada eats up quite a bit of that.  You should do better being stateside.

Clarence

15 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

$500-$1000, but shipping and brokerage to and from Canada eats up quite a bit of that.  You should do better being stateside.

Clarence

Right - and that’s the single mag price right?

its weird if it will be all that much less expensive for being “stateside” as we live 15 mi from Canada.  Eg tomorrow am I go to Ottawa to do a rowing race and lunch then home for dinner.

but if it’s cheaper - I’ll take it!

i wish sure fly stc were ready for us turbo folk as I would get a surefly right now if it were.

e

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

There are bearings and a distributor block in that phot. That looks like the overhaul parts replace list rather than the 500hr inspection parts. 

There is/was an S/B on the distributor mandating replacement.  The balance of the parts seem to be fairly common replacement items.

Clarence

38 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

its weird if it will be all that much less expensive for being “stateside” as we live 15 mi from Canada.  Eg tomorrow am I go to Ottawa to do a rowing race and lunch then home for dinner.

i wish sure fly stc were ready for us turbo folk as I would get a surefly right now if it were.

e

UPS and Fed Ex praise their service quite highly when dealing with our border, and the price is per magneto.  Not sure if you have Continental/Bendix or Champion/Slick magnetos?

Clarence

13 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

UPS and Fed Ex praise their service quite highly when dealing with our border, and the price is per magneto.  Not sure if you have Continental/Bendix or Champion/Slick magnetos?

Clarence

I think they are “big bendix”.

its expensive sending stuff across the border.

meanwhile I just sold a bike to a guy in the Marshall Islands and I was amazed the shipping was the same almost as sending to Virginia.

55 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

There is/was an S/B on the distributor mandating replacement.  The balance of the parts seem to be fairly common replacement items.

Clarence

I just did the 500hr inspections on the Bendix 1200 mags, and per the book, they have you inspect the bearings, the clockspring for the impulse coupler, the condenser.  You replace the points, the felt seals, oil the bearings, and so on, but that is far beyond the required.

Why not change another few 4$ parts and call it overhauled?  Except it is a lot of unneeded expense to overhaul a set of mags every 500hr when an inspection will do.  Also, S/B's arent mandatory on Pt91 airplanes here.

Edited by jetdriven

2 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

e

Pretty sure Surefly is stc’d for turbos.  Just gotta use it in fixed timing mode instead of advance.

Edited by Ragsf15e

Pretty sure Surefly is stc’d for turbos.  Just gotta use it in fixed timing mode instead of advance.

Not unless it has happened in the last few weeks..? I just did mine and they only have 2 models, a 4 cyl and a 6 cyl model, not turbo or dual mag, yet though they plan to add.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Not unless it has happened in the last few weeks..? I just did mine and they only have 2 models, a 4 cyl and a 6 cyl model, not turbo or dual mag, yet though they plan to add.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/f0684a_514bcd15d2bf40ca86d548170ac9cccd.pdf

There are lots of turbocharged airplanes on their stc (M20U, Cessnas and Pipers) and lots of answers in their faqs.  You can put the mag on, but it’s limited to fixed timing mode. However, I don’t see the Bravo or K on there.

This link shows approved Surefly engines.  Lots of turbos, but only fixed timing.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/712b87_e6a0da0541ce494d835f6b8456de1ebe.pdf

Edited by Ragsf15e