Dumb question on injectors

Austintatious

I asked Mike Busch and he pointed out that the Part 1 definition of maintenance includes inspection whereas the definition of preventive maintenance does not. Therefore, an inspection required by regulation cannot be performed as preventive maintenance (unless, in the case of an AD, it is specifically allowed as [mention=15539]EricJ[/mention] and [mention=12030]M20Doc[/mention] have noted).
Skip

What about brakes? Before I change them I need to inspect them and decide if they need to be changed. If I determine they need changed isn’t that due to an inspection? And changing my brakes is covered under preventative maintenance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

What about brakes? Before I change them I need to inspect them and decide if they need to be changed. If I determine they need changed isn’t that due to an inspection? And changing my brakes is covered under preventative maintenance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, but you’re logging the preventive maintenance on the brakes, not the inspection. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Yes, but you’re logging the preventive maintenance on the brakes, not the inspection. 

Were there an AD on the brakes, you would need that signed off by an airframe mechanic. You can change the brakes, but he has to comply with the AD and sign it, unless the pilot is permitted to do it, such as the Bendix ignition switch.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 12:48 AM, N201MKTurbo said:

Call the FSDO and ask them. They are both sticklers for the rules and know every loophole. It wouldn’t hurt to ask. Sending them a letter may be better because then you would have documentation either approving that you can do the inspection, or not. The worst you will be is where you are now.

Never call a FSDO.  Rarely does anything good result IMHO.

• Confused 1

On 9/26/2019 at 7:02 PM, PT20J said:

The nozzles are easily removed without loosening any clamps. The clamps are not near the nozzles, there is a lot off flex in the lines and you don't have to deform or stress them. Just loosen the nut and move the lines slightly to the side. Lycoming SI 1275C "Cleaning Fuel Injector Nozzles" says to "Remove the nozzle assembly from the individual fuel lines using a wrench." It does not mention any need to remove the clamps from the lines.

214551168_Lycominginjectorclamps_20190926_0001.thumb.jpg.12e8e535592b1ba7637af6e17e0a04b0.jpg

I was going to say the same but thought I would be flamed. 

Edited by Shadrach