Engine Monitor & GPS Suggestion

Derek

[mention=11849]ArtVandelay[/mention] bought it that wayB) shows all the same stuff doesn't it?

Let’s skip the inevitable analog vs digital, steam vs glass, discussions.
It comes down to what you want and can you afford it.

Buying an airplane is because you want it, not because you need it. Ditto for the panel.

Tom
  • Like 2

I know my thought process has completely changed since the g3x reach has expanded. A single 175, 355, or 375 gps along with two coms and a nav unit is all that I would install. That with a g3x and EIS and you’re set. 

hardware cost...g3x w/EIS and gps 175 is the same cost as a 750. 

Derek, many folks on here have been happy with primary certified EDMs like the 930, etc.   they are great units, but consider an 830 instead.  It’s cheaper for one, but the main reason I did the 830 is to have redundancy.  I have experienced 3 jpi failures.   1 was loss of MaP on the jpi.  I was easily able to diagnose the issue inflight as it did not agree with the OEM gauge.    1 was unstable/intermittent data and ultimately a blank screen.     The 3rd failure I experienced was last week in a baron with the 960 primary system.  Left side engine data completely went blank after a short period of erroneous data.   I had no other instruments aboard that could verify FF/p, oil pressure, temps or anything.   

Like everything else, these systems do fail sometimes after hours of vibration.  It’s nice to retain backup gauges instead of being AOG

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

Derek, many folks on here have been happy with primary certified EDMs like the 930, etc.   they are great units, but consider an 830 instead.  It’s cheaper for one, but the main reason I did the 830 is to have redundancy.  I have experienced 3 jpi failures.   1 was loss of MaP on the jpi.  I was easily able to diagnose the issue inflight as it did not agree with the OEM gauge.    1 was unstable/intermittent data and ultimately a blank screen.     The 3rd failure I experienced was last week in a baron with the 960 primary system.  Left side engine data completely went blank after a short period of erroneous data.   I had no other instruments aboard that could verify FF/p, oil pressure, temps or anything.   

Like everything else, these systems do fail sometimes after hours of vibration.  It’s nice to retain backup gauges instead of being AOG

+1