Engine Monitor & GPS Suggestion

Derek

Just closed yesterday on N355RL, a '95 M20J, and it's going to be in the shop for a few weeks waiting on a few parts from Mooney.

I want to upgrade the engine monitor and I'm thinking about a JPI 900/930.

I also want to do a GPS, not sure which.

Thoughts on what should happen to the panel to make them fit? Suggestions on the GPS?

IMG_1808.JPG

• Like 2

Congratulations on buying one of the best models Mooney ever made!

Okay, on the panel work to fit everything, here goes:

1. Pull the insight engine monitor and move the Strikefinder up one row.
  2. Move the Electric Trim and Fuel Boost rockers left into open positions on the bottom row of switches.
  3. Place EDM 900 vertically in the position previously held by Strikefinder.
  4. Remove KMA 24, KLN 94, the KX 155 w/out the GS, and the intercom.
  5. Install PMA 450B, Avidyne IFD 540 into open area in center stack.

Obviously the legacy gauge strip, MP, EGT, and Tach gauges on the right side can come out as well as the Shadin fuel flow. You can probably pull the DME if you want as the IFD should provide the same information in most circumstances.

The Lynx you have on the right side plays nicely with the Avidyne hardware and should provide weather and traffic on the IFD. Does it have active traffic or just TIS-B?

The GPS/NAV switch will need removal or work done on it with the installation of the IFD.

The PMA 450B is a "while you are in there" item, but it will make your life so much better.

All the above is my opinion on spending your money (my favorite money to spend!). Doing all or none of what I mentioned above is completely up to you, but have fun spending whatever you do spend, and enjoy your plane.

• Like 4

What the @Oldguy said. 

EDM 900 is the way to go. Anything less and you'll be doing it again and putting in the 900 down the road anyway.

The IFD540 GPS is the top of the line way to go. There are lots of other cheaper options, but you get what you pay for.

The PMA450b audio panel makes a very unexpectedly huge difference in the cockpit.

• Like 3

Unless you're planning to do a PFD/MFD soon, I'd choose a large screen GPS/COM like the IFD 540 or GTN 750 if you want to spend more. Don't pay good money to install an old 530W thinking you're getting a bargain. (I've had 530W/430W for 12 years now but wouldn't recommend installing either from scratch today)

Double agree on PMA450B and EDM 900. Don't settle for less! Remove all the old engine instruments like I did...no regrets in 4 years.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldguy said:

The Lynx you have on the right side plays nicely with the Avidyne hardware and should provide weather and traffic on the IFD. Does it have active traffic or just TIS-B?

I'm embarrassed to say I don't know.

To be honest I only just know realized it did more than provide adsb in and out.

I see on the NGT-9000 webpage it says that active traffic is an option that can be embedded. Not sure how to know if I have that option or if I can activate it.

So much to learn as an owner now. When I rent i would just get in, fly, park, and forget about the aircraft. I never really knew or used the systems over minimum necessary to survive as a renter.

• Like 1

I think the 900 might be too large(width) for the Strikefinder/Insight area.  If so, then maybe a CGR-30p 30c pair.

(Also, remember if you do get the JPI you can have the factory rotate the screen so it has a better viewing angle, recommended orientations are in the Install manual, mine needed to be reversed for optimal use.)

20181218_130049.jpg

11 minutes ago, Derek said:

I'm embarrassed to say I don't know.

To be honest I only just know realized it did more than provide adsb in and out.

I see on the NGT-9000 webpage it says that active traffic is an option that can be embedded. Not sure how to know if I have that option or if I can activate it.

So much to learn as an owner now. When I rent i would just get in, fly, park, and forget about the aircraft. I never really knew or used the systems over minimum necessary to survive as a renter.

Don't worry. Just as soon as you learn everything about what you have, you will upgrade something and education starts again! For me, it was finding out a couple things I thought were in the plane had been removed by a prior owner a while back. They never would come on when I hit the switch!:blink:

Get a caffeinated beverage of your choice and sit down with the logs and some blank paper and go through them. Make notes on things like when the shock discs were last changed, when the alternator was installed, when the last 500 hour mag o/h was done, when the vacuum pump was changed, when the AI was last replaced/overhauled and a bunch of other things you will either come up with on your own, someone here will suggest, or your mechanic will bring up. You can learn what items you have in the plane and then get on the internet and look for pilot guides for them if you did not get them with the plane.

You can always search through MS to find answers to some of your questions or more questions. Best of luck with your new plane.

I think the 900 might be too large(width) for the Strikefinder/Insight area.  If so, then maybe a CGR-30p 30c pair.
(Also, remember if you do get the JPI you can have the factory rotate the screen so it has a better viewing angle, recommended orientations are in the Install manual, mine needed to be reversed for optimal use.)

Remember with 900 you can remove the factory engine gauges
I would move the Strikefinder, like this:
c02ff072175b0cccd656abf701983305.jpg

Tom

19 minutes ago, oregon87 said:

The factory gauges can be replaced with the CGR-30P/30C, as well.  Both are certified as primary.  

And the EI monitors would fit better in the pilot side area if you are not interested in making big panel changes.  It would completely fit in the previous engine monitor 3" hole, whereas any JPI display you'd need to move the Strikefinder somewhere else.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Derek said:

Just closed yesterday on N355RL, a '95 M20J, and it's going to be in the shop for a few weeks waiting on a few parts from Mooney.

Thoughts on what should happen to the panel to make them fit? Suggestions on the GPS?

Congratulations Derek.  My short list...

- GTN750

- EDM900 or 930 depending on panel real estate

Fly safe...

Steve

You could get a GTN 750 with the remote-mounted GMA 35c audio panel, saving a little panel space, and keep one existing NAV/COM as your #2.  If you haven't tried the 750, there's an iPad simulator app you can play with to see what you think.  Or if you just want to go nuts, you could install a GTN 750/GTN 650 stack.

And if you're already doing that, I'd at least think about installing a G5 or two as primary flight instruments.

The CGR-30P/30C combo from EI would go nicely in that panel. And I believe the combo is price competitive with the EDM-900. 

While you're at it, get some CiES fuel senders to go with the engine monitor. There's nothing quite as comforting as KNOWING your fuel situation per tank, accurately and at all times.

• Like 1

I have been thinking about making a change from a JPI 700 to the 900 as well.  In Canadian dollars, it would go for $5720 plus installation - some of which has already been done for my JPI 700.  The combo CGR 30 P and C would go for $6964 plus installation.  so about $1200 more for the EI kit over the JPI installation.

Probably a bit less in USD.

27 minutes ago, Ned Gravel said:

I have been thinking about making a change from a JPI 700 to the 900 as well.  In Canadian dollars, it would go for $5720 plus installation - some of which has already been done for my JPI 700.  The combo CGR 30 P and C would go for $6964 plus installation.  so about $1200 more for the EI kit over the JPI installation.

Probably a bit less in USD.

Our Spirit of Oshkosh rebate expired at the end of August.  We were offering a $1000.00 rebate on the CGR-30-Combo package which brings it inline with the EDM900 pricing.  

12 hours ago, Derek said:

IMG_1808.JPG

These guys have you on the right track, but definitely consider ditching the vacuum ADI and going with a G5 (or 2).  Is there anything else on the airplane vacuum operated (like speedbrakes)?  The G5 is relatively cheap compared to the safety inherent in ditching the vacuum system.

Hard for me to tell, but is the autopilot an STEC? G5 works ok with those.

G5. Move AI to TC. You need a backup AI if flying IFR anyhow.  This panel was made for the Aspen max though - it would work really nicely with your L3 and existing autopilot    

Audio panel - would suggest a used PS engineering 7000BT.  It will slide in without having to rewire the audio panel. You’d get the Bluetooth functionality and the Audio panels from PS are top quality  

Expensive was would be to add a 540/550.  It would be awesome but expensive.  

Cheaper way would be to add a GTN 625.. you’d get VNAV functions should you ever decide to upgrade your autopilot.  Only minor panel surgery required.  

Cheaper still - delete a Kx-155 (sell it), add a GNC 355 (or even a 430W/FS-210) and an aera 660 hardwired to it.  You’ll get more screen real estate compared to a 650 and it will be about 7k less expensive than the 540. 

I’d personally consider the 625 although I have  the 430/660/210 combo and absolutely love it. 

Hope this helps.

Brad. 

00393B81-0078-433F-AF47-589EEC5C6967.jpeg

These guys have you on the right track, but definitely consider ditching the vacuum ADI and going with a G5 (or 2).  Is there anything else on the airplane vacuum operated (like speedbrakes)?  The G5 is relatively cheap compared to the safety inherent in ditching the vacuum system.
Hard for me to tell, but is the autopilot an STEC? G5 works ok with those.

It is an STEC, if you do this you can lose the annunciator as well. The 660 is also a cheap MFD if you have the space:
I personally hate the compass location, so I switched to a panel mounted to give a better view.
ec1ce15336ddaa72c27ee428e2884ddb.jpg

Tom
  • Like 1

We're doing panel pictures? :D

I like the Aspen over 2x G5s and while I've learned to appreciate my 650 I prefer the avidyne systems. The EDM 900 is great I consider it a must. I had g2 insight and it did it's jobs well, but when gauges start needing O/H'd you're better served going to the EDM.

Screenshot_20190730-180118_Facebook.jpg