Dynon Skyview HDX

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While it is still my intention to hold out for the full Dynon autopilot for my M20F, I was not aware that the Skyview can talk to the TruTrak autopilot.   Of course it is not able to drive the autopilot in NAV mode, but even limited integration is better than nothing.

• Like 1

Ive been looking really close at Dynon... I wont be able to do it right now however.  The fact is the cost add up REAL fast when you start selecting all the items needed.  It is dissapointing because when you search the system you see a pretty low price advertised, but that is quickly shattered.

I have called and spoken with about 4 shops now on what it would cost to do a single screen install, with AP (once available) and engine monitoring.

You can expect to pay 30-35k for the system, depending on if you want 1 screen or 2.

Then you can expect another 10-12k to install.  I did have one shop say 8000.00 installed at a shop rate of 75.00 and hour.

So all up to do the whole thing, you are looking at 40-48 K depending on how many screens and the shop rate and competency.  NONE of the shops I spoke with had actually finished an installation.  1 shop told me they had quoted a customer 9K for a 2 screen install with NO ap.

Very nice, but Not cheap!!!

i was thinking of getting a 1 screen setup, engine monitoring and no AP... 1 Shop told me to expect 30k.

1 10” screen, with 6-cylinder engine, IFR interface and ads-b in would be $22,073. I have done one Mooney install and about a dozen other certified installs, as well as probably 100+ experimental installs. I have 3 certified installs and 2 experimental installs going in my shop right now. 

AP should add around $5-7,000 for 2 servos. 

second 10” screen adds $5,980. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jesse Saint said:

1 10” screen, with 6-cylinder engine, IFR interface and ads-b in would be $22,073. I have done one Mooney install and about a dozen other certified installs, as well as probably 100+ experimental installs. I have 3 certified installs and 2 experimental installs going in my shop right now. 

AP should add around $5-7,000 for 2 servos. 

second 10” screen adds $5,980. 

Is that the installed price?

I did the worksheet... see screenshot.. this is with 2 screens (I used the Bonanza worksheet since mooney AP not yet available)

See attached worksheet from Dynon website.

1.jpg

2.jpg

1 hour ago, Austintatious said:

Is that the installed price?

I did the worksheet... see screenshot.. this is with 2 screens (I used the Bonanza worksheet since mooney AP not yet available)

See attached worksheet from Dynon website.

1.jpg

2.jpg

You are going to need some 1 foot cables and a hub for behind the panel.    What I did for fun was made a 4 head db-9 cable to connect all the boxes behind the panel with milspec wire.  Works fine.  

Probably the most time is building panels and hooking up all the options on the EMS.  And then configuration and check out.

1 hour ago, Jesse Saint said:

I always buy a 5-port hub and a 30’ cable then cut the lengths I need and pin out my own cables with machined barrell pins. 

I looked and looked for the 9 conductor cable and could not find it.  I cut a couple of feet off the long ones for my 4 headed cable.   It was easier than finding a place to mount the 5 port hub.   I will probably end up with a 5 port hub in the rear.   The funny thing is the 5 port hub is only a 4 port since you have to plug it into the screen.   When I do the radio panel or the A/P panel that will give me another port to daisy chain off of.   Or when I do the main 10" screen.   I still need to replan my serial ports.   I may run out of them.

I mount the 5-port hub on the tray right next to the EMS module. I’ve never run out of serial ports in all my years if Skyview installs. Max I’ve had 1-Transponder, 2-ADS-B Receiver, 3-SL30/40, 4-Altitude Out, 5-GPS Receiver. There are other things you can connect to, but I’ve never gotten there. 

39 minutes ago, Austintatious said:

wow!  ok I am confused... how is your out the door price less than the cost of the hardware?  Did I mess something up on the order sheet?  

29,000 installed sounds like a great deal for all of that! 

You have two displays and an autopilot on your worksheet and his quote includes one 10" display and no autopilot. To another display, as he mentioned, would add $5980 to the quote.

1 hour ago, Austintatious said:

wow!  ok I am confused... how is your out the door price less than the cost of the hardware?  Did I mess something up on the order sheet?  

29,000 installed sounds like a great deal for all of that! 

Your probably aware of this already but EDM’s take a lot of install. I was quoted 35-45 hours for my EDM-900 that I ended up installing myself (I’m an A&P). I bought it on sale new for $3300 if I remember right. So there is a lot of work that goes into some of these items to install. 

The Dynon Engine monitor add-on is $3,188 for a 4-cylinder and $3,333 for a 6-cylinder including installation. If you look at the Dynon system, the price delta of the add-on features are very reasonable. The Dynon Engine monitor us hands-down the easiest on the market to install, IMHO.