Dynon Skyview HDX

So, there are 14 Certified Dynon Installation Centers in the world.....until today! There are officially 15 Dynon Certified Installation Centers in the world and the 15th is BAKER AVIONICS!!!!!! What have you heard about the system and does anyone have experience with it? The good, the bad, the ugly. Aaannnnnnnddddddd........GO!

Edited by Baker Avionics
Misspelled word
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Baker Avionics said:

So, there are 14 Certified Dynon Installation Centers in the world.....until today! There are officially 15 Dynon Certified Installation Centers in the world and the 15th is BAKER AVIONICS!!!!!! What have you heard about the system and does anyone have experience with it? The good, the bad, the ugly. Aaannnnnnnddddddd........GO!

I'd say the largest drawback is that its not certified for the mooney.

1 hour ago, KSMooniac said:

Actually it is certified for the Mooney and hundreds of other planes. Their autopilot is not approved for us yet, though, but on the short list according to Dynon.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

You get 5 Mooney owners together that will get deposits together and I will get the AP for the Mooney pushed through

5 hours ago, Baker Avionics said:

You get 5 Mooney owners together that will get deposits together and I will get the AP for the Mooney pushed through

How much of a deposit are we talking about here?  I really do want this system installed but not having the autopilot certified yet really gives me pause.

1 hour ago, DustinNwind said:

That' would be easy if it wasn't what we just dealt with from TruTrak for 2 years. 

Well, we can either take "What we just dealt with..." as gospel and not move forward, or keep pressing on! I've been doing this crazy dance for over 30 years in Avionics and you HAVE to keep pressing on! Together we can do it, it is all in the delivery and unity. I understand what you mean, but I, for one, am not giving up on you all!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baker Avionics said:

Well, we can either take "What we just dealt with..." as gospel and not move forward, or keep pressing on! I've been doing this crazy dance for over 30 years in Avionics and you HAVE to keep pressing on! Together we can do it, it is all in the delivery and unity. I understand what you mean, but I, for one, am not giving up on you all!

I agree with you! Press on, and I am also happy what is going on with TruTrak now. What do you think the installed cost would be on that for a M20E if there was no existing GPS?

On 9/26/2019 at 7:34 PM, DustinNwind said:

I agree with you! Press on, and I am also happy what is going on with TruTrak now. What do you think the installed cost would be on that for a M20E if there was no existing GPS?

Well, you need to make a selection as far as a navigator goes, I recommend Avidyne IFD series.  That being said, $35k-40k without the actual cost of the navigator.  Add the cost of the navigator accordingly.  

On 9/26/2019 at 9:34 PM, DustinNwind said:

You don't have to install a certified IFR GPS receiver.   There is the Dynon GPS2020 that is certified for ADSB and runs the maps and synthetic vision.    VFR of course.....

Just this last annual I had a new IFD 440 installed so I am set with a great IFR WAAS navigator.  I also got a L3-Lynx so I am set with a great ADS-B in and out and would not need that from Dynon.  Basically I would need the main Skyview HDX system with engine monitoring and auto-pilot.  If this is going to be my forever plane then I want to put a forever panel in it that will increase safety and reliability.  

There are 3 GPS standards.    Enroute.   ADSB.   Approach.     The GPS with the Dynon system is certified to ADSB standards.  The ADSB transmitter is remote mounted and fed from Dynon GPS.    So as long as you don't need to fly IFR approaches legally you would not need a certified GPS source.  If you had a KX 155 with GS you could use that for the legal approach

Congrats Greg, on the good news!

I got to see the Dynon system up close this week while traveling around FL...  I got to see some avionics shops while traveling with @Alan Fox...

the Dynon system is really nice, even nicer when not in the midst of a large aviation show like KOSH....

Don’t forget... pics of the first Mooney install will be greatly appreciated...

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Jesse Saint said:

Not the best picture I’ve ever taken, but a view with everything powered in the hangar. Ready to fly. 

That's pretty cool.   Would definitely be interested in more details as you can share them.

23 hours ago, Jesse Saint said:

Not the best picture I’ve ever taken, but a view with everything powered in the hangar. Ready to fly. 

343AB0CB-D7B5-4EBC-949D-CB3BCA3EDEF7.jpeg

@Jesse Saint do you know the exact iPad model that was used?  I'm trying to do something similar and I thought I'd have to go with a smaller option.   Beautifully done btw.  Thanks!