New Owner

1ang

He guys, first time owning an airplane, have a hanger and looking to stock it up. What are some of the essentials needed?

Also have a hanger with skidding doors and a slight hill right in front of it. Do u think it will be easy to push it up and aver the “rails” solo by hand or will I need some alternative?

I have a large tow bar, and I can move my C model around pretty easy.  I still have to have a little momentum to get them over the rails in front of the hangar.  I don't know how much incline you have, but that could make it a lot harder, especially if you're using the standard size tow bar from the plane.

• Like 1

Getting your plane over the hump will depend on a few things...

How full are the tanks, and how strong are your moccasins... :)

Use the search to look up what MSers are using for powered tows...

Get to know your mechanic...  many things you can learn by working with those guys...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 1ang said:

Also have a hanger with skidding doors and a slight hill right in front of it. Do u think it will be easy to push it up and aver the “rails” solo by hand or will I need some alternative?

My hangar neighbor bought some rubber ramps for wheelchairs, that seems to work really well.

51 minutes ago, 1ang said:

I just got into a hangar after a rather long wait and hadn't considered this.  I almost put my back out trying to get the thing into the hangar the first time.  I was essentially grounded until I landed a good deal on a used Sidewinder from a forum member here.  This was a very slight incline as well.  I use the standard towbar to pull it out of the hangar and the Sidewinder to push it back in.  A hangar neighbor uses the metal tow bar to position the airplane and a Harbor Freight winch to pull the last few feet into the hangar.  That's probably the cheapest solution if you can bolt the winch down effectively.  Other essential items to add to your list: sofa and kegerator (or mini fridge).  Hangars make really good man caves...

I just got into a hangar after a rather long wait and hadn't considered this.  I almost put my back out trying to get the thing into the hangar the first time.  I was essentially grounded until I landed a good deal on a used Sidewinder from a forum member here.  This was a very slight incline as well.  I use the standard towbar to pull it out of the hangar and the Sidewinder to push it back in.  A hangar neighbor uses the metal tow bar to position the airplane and a Harbor Freight winch to pull the last few feet into the hangar.  That's probably the cheapest solution if you can bolt the winch down effectively.  Other essential items to add to your list: sofa and kegerator (or mini fridge).  Hangars make really good man caves...

I was looking at the winch idea, power towbars are sooooo expensive.

11 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Or just hire him/her to do it.  They need to earn a living too.

Clarence

As retired mechanic I agree 100%, my response was based on his statement below and by no means was I trying to push the A&P's out of the picture

2 hours ago, 1ang said:

Any advice or resource on how to properly do engine oil filter safety wire?

4 hours ago, 1ang said:

He guys, first time owning an airplane, have a hanger and looking to stock it up. What are some of the essentials needed?

First time owner, a Mooney and having a hangar, you have a very strong start, congratulations, you’re doing it right!!

My hangar essentials are a fridge, old seating (couch or chairs), a grill and some choice beverages. Oil, cleaning supplies and some basic tools also help. 

I usually move my K model by hand, but I share a 4 airplane hangar and if the 340a is in front of me, an electric golf cart with front hitch and tow bar makes a nice setup, it just takes some practice to keep it within the steering tow limits. 

2) I have a similar slight hill and lip right at the threshold of my hangar. Tried to get it in on my own, but was unable. So bought a sidewinder and love it. 

Gonna see if I can do it first before I open the wallet to that expense
  • Like 1

Pulling the plane in & out of the hangar is my exercise routine, plus the occasional waterless wash and wax.

Need to stay strong enough to move the plane as required, and flexible enough to get in and out of the cockpit. Then everything else will take care of itself.  :P

oh, get yourself one of those nice double-ratcheting screwdrivers. It really makes annual inspection time nicer! And will still wear out the grip in both hands as well as all the other moving muscles in both forearms. You won't carry anything or write much for a few days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Pulling the plane in & out of the hangar is my exercise routine, plus the occasional waterless wash and wax.

Need to stay strong enough to move the plane as required, and flexible enough to get in and out of the cockpit. Then everything else will take care of itself.  :P

oh, get yourself one of those nice double-ratcheting screwdrivers. It really makes annual inspection time nicer! And will still wear out the grip in both hands as well as all the other moving muscles in both forearms. You won't carry anything or write much for a few days.

I use a light duty cordless drill/driver to remove screws.  If I have a bunch, I will fess up and admit I use it to install them, too, but only after starting them by hand and with the clutch at the lowest setting, and then I finish them off with a manual screwdriver. 

In terms of pulling the plane over a bump, you can often do it if you build up momentum first, but you do NOT want to do this solo the first few times--make sure you have a friend as a spotter to guide you.  It's a good way to get hangar rash if you're not lined up correctly... :o