G5 installation cost

airwheels

1 hour ago, Gagarin said:

Precise Flight has a low cost engine driven standby vacuum system  http://www.thevacsource.com/svs.php that uses the engine manifold pressure as a vacuum source. I have it on my M20J and only used once in VFR conditions. It works very well below below 8,000 ft and on approach. Another option is to replace the VSI with an IVSI (Instantaneous VSI) to control pitch attitude more accurately.

Yep, I have the PF standby vacuum system.  I also have a vacuum gage and a vacuum warning light.  I feel a lot better about flying ifr behind 2xG5s.

I do a lot of instrument instruction, and we can generally get students to be relatively “proficient” at partial panel for their checkride, but after that, the skill falls away quickly if not constantly practiced.  If you think an ivsi is gonna help you maintain pitch attitude partial panel, you better practice under a hood very often because that’s a perishable skill and the ensuing loss of control in imc will kill you real quick.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 10:31 AM, Gagarin said:

What is the advantage of the G5 over traditional gyros? After all the traditional gyros are easier to read as shown on the picture and the factory engine instruments are easier to read than those on integrated electronic displays. I may sound old fashion but it is a reality, just look at instrument panel pictures with both electronic displays and old steam gauges and you will notice that you can read altitude and airspeed on the old gauges but not on the electronic displays.  

Reduced workload and better situational awareness.  Looking at 1 G5 gives you same info as 6 steam gauges but your eyes stay put. Yes I agree the displays are small and a quick glance at steam and you know where your speed is based on needle position but the G3X, iPad Pro w/ForeFlight and the like have large tapes easy to read.

If you loose ur g5 AI, switch g5 HSI to AI mode. Loose power, you have 4 hours back up. 

On 9/25/2019 at 4:06 PM, Gagarin said:

Something I learned with electronic displays is to warm up the cockpit before engine start in cold weather, otherwise you don't know if you have oil pressure at engine start. It can take up to a minute for the LCD display to warm up.

366723517_RouteMap.thumb.JPG.e57f75696fd1d3d2de87845667d0c4ef.JPG

In cold weather, Always preheat cabin and thus sensitive Avionics and pilot gets benefits too. I throw in a ceramic with fan near rudder pedals before preflight and even with door partially open by extension cord within 10 minutes it’s toasty t-shirt comfortable. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 10:13 PM, EricJ said:

Even if one of them gets fried by a nuclear EMP or an electron worm or something, or if the entire electrical system fails, the other will still work and can be either an AI or a DG. 

EMP will basically take out everything that is not a wind up Timex and a generator. Magnetos should survive.  All integrated circuits.  Including the diodes in the alternator.   Army did a test over in Micronesia  took out stuff in Hawaii.   Oops. 

Edited by Yetti
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Yetti said:

EMP will basically take out everything that is not a wind up Timex and a generator. Magnetos should survive.  All integrated circuits.  Including the diodes in the alternator.   Army did a test over in Micronesia  took out stuff in Hawaii.   Oops. 

Not all EMP comes from nuclear blasts.   It's pretty tough to predict how things will behave, and hardening has come a long ways.   If you get EMP'ed from a nuke, though, you'll probably have other issues to deal with, too.