Power supply for avionics

Nippernaper

With a new set of avionics, I'm finding I need to spend some time in the hangar with everything running in order to perform updates, download data, figure out which buttons do what, etc. I've read the previous threads on power supplies, but am not completely sure I know which ones to pick. I've identified two possibilities, see links below. Thoughts? Is the noise offset function needed/useful?

https://www.amazon.com/TekPower-Analog-Display-TP30SWI-Switching/dp/B01MQ2PGYO/ref=pd_cp_23_2/178-8363182-2771543?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01MQ2PGYO&pd_rd_r=da7b4289-486f-4bf8-a111-69fd2c8a3378&pd_rd_w=zUe5e&pd_rd_wg=4sFw1&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=DGF2GJHNMYGGWCK0Y5A1&psc=1&refRID=DGF2GJHNMYGGWCK0Y5A1

https://www.amazon.com/Desktop-Converter-Vehicle-Cigarette-Lighter/dp/B07PBXKLGM/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=12%2Bvolt%2Bpower%2Bsupply%2B12%2Bamp&qid=1569199200&s=electronics&sr=1-2&th=1

11 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I just put the battery charger on the battery.

I had thought about that, but laziness being what it is, I'm looking for a solution that doesn't require removal of the avionics access door.  The more work it takes, the less likely it is to happen.  I'm hoping to be able to just plug into the aux power receptacle.  I know you can hard-wire a charging harness and route it to the aux power door, but that's a ways off for me.

3 minutes ago, Nippernaper said:

I had thought about that, but laziness being what it is, I'm looking for a solution that doesn't require removal of the avionics access door.  The more work it takes, the less likely it is to happen.  I'm hoping to be able to just plug into the aux power receptacle.  I know you can hard-wire a charging harness and route it to the aux power door, but that's a ways off for me.

I use a very old, cheap, version of this to plug in my charger or battery saver to the battery. I'm not sure what your "aux power receptacle" is but mine is a socket behind a spring door in the battery access panel.

Main Image

13 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

I use a very old, cheap, version of this to plug in my charger or battery saver to the battery. I'm not sure what your "aux power receptacle" is but mine is a socket behind a spring door in the battery access panel.

Main Image

Yep, that's it!  Unfortunately, the only charger I have is a "smart" one, that won't work with the relay that's between this power plug and the battery (at least on my J).  I've been looking for a "dumb" charger, but there just aren't any around that I could find, hence the "power supply" route.

57 minutes ago, Nippernaper said:

Yep, that's it!  Unfortunately, the only charger I have is a "smart" one, that won't work with the relay that's between this power plug and the battery (at least on my J).  I've been looking for a "dumb" charger, but there just aren't any around that I could find, hence the "power supply" route.

Same problem so I have 2 chargers in the hangar - the smart one which requires direct connection to the battery and an older, dumb charger for use with the plug. BTW, the "Battery Minder" is "dumb" in that it activates the solenoid that fools the smart chargers. 

I built my own, as you'll see in the search up thread. For my connection I bought the bare connector(3-PIN CESSNA AIRCRAFT EXTERNAL POWER PLUG) and soldered it. It would be far cheaper than the Plug&Jump unless you're like me and use heavy gauge wire and hook it to an Anderson power connector so I can swap it between the PDU and alligator clips(for battery attachment).