Baggage door strut

podair

2 hours ago, Shiny moose said:

Where’s the dude that uses a large spring to replace the slider on the door. Some older Lake Aircraft used a large spring to hold their cabin  doors open. Works great, stable, hold door and pull on spring to close 

I was thinking about that solution. I believe it is in this thread, from Andy95W. The baggage door holder has long been on my todo list for improvements.

• Like 1

Definitely don’t want to have to buy a new one if that’s what you have.. Here’s their link for that (it’s not available). https://lasar.com/doors/baggage-door-hold-open-arm-350154-901

I called them earlier and they don’t have any available that match what I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, apparently my post added confusion. The point of my post was to point out LASAR repairs the newer baggage door sliders. I don't think they sell too many brand new $800 ones since they repair them for much less. If they don't already have a repaired one ready to send out, one only needs to send in the their broken one for repair.
But I get the impression you may have the older style, so this may only be of interest to the those with mid and long body Mooney's.

55 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Sorry, apparently my post added confusion. The point of my post was to point out LASAR repairs the newer baggage door sliders. I don't think they sell too many brand new $800 ones since they repair them for much less. If they don't already have a repaired one ready to send out, one only needs to send in the their broken one for repair.
But I get the impression you may have the older style, so this may only be of interest to the those with mid and long body Mooney's.

I do have the older style.  I do like the operation of the newer style though.  I understand what you're saying and appreciate the you trying to help either way!

• Thanks 1

I have a RAT (air driven alternator) that uses such struts to push open a door to get the turbine into the wind (mounter on the avionics bay door).  The company makes 
them in many sizes.  I am sure one can be used for this purpose.  I'll look for the manufacturer's name.
John Breda

A RAT for the Mooney? Whoah Daddy! Let’s see it!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, David Lloyd said:

Just got a response from Dan at LASAR about my cabin door roller slider.  He said the haven't much success with repairs, the usually break again in a short time.  New is $542.73.

that price is just stupid....

A passenger just (well its been a year now i'm afraid) forced the door shut shearing my "old style" baggage arm.  $134 new from lasar looks pretty good and makes it tempting to just buy rather then repair, especially compared to $175 from the salvage yard above. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/23/2019 at 7:11 PM, RLCarter said:

Not sure on the gauge but it was the same as the original, material was overkill (4130  Chromoly), I turned the rivet out of mild steel. I've made 2 others for MS members but I don't have enough 4130 left to make another one, plus my lathe is tied up for the next 4 or 5 weeks or I'd make you one and send it to you.... Sorry

Do you have measurements? I don't have any thing to copy.

• 1 year later...

I’m Reviving this thread, as I spied an interesting solution on an older model....  a 180 degree locking support hinge. Took me a while to find the source- it can be purchased at Hinge Outlet. Sold in a set of two for under $8.00

The beauty of this thing is that it isn’t an over center device- it locks at 180 degrees and stays locked until you release it, and it’s very stout. It is too long out of the box, so It has to be trimmed to length, then two slight bends made on one arm in a vice, then fold in half and match drill the new mounting holes. It’ll never collapse on you.

You can buy it here:

Hinge support

5012E654-95A3-42CC-8A4C-C4855B4FC632.jpeg

6858AAA8-C0CA-4554-8D44-609E91282FF4.jpeg

754665AB-0127-4705-93A8-A314CAE92E57.jpeg

42AC7AF1-AD5A-472F-B2A8-058D450A04AC.jpeg

A507DC68-7CBA-4CB5-B894-A5E9796CD251.jpeg

Edited by PilotCoyote
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, PilotCoyote said:

I’m Reviving this thread, as I spied an interesting solution on an older model....  a 180 degree locking support hinge. Took me a while to find the source- it can be purchased at Hinge Outlet. Sold in a set of two for under $8.00

The beauty of this thing is that it isn’t an over center device- it locks at 180 degrees and stays locked until you release it, and it’s very stout. It is too long out of the box, so It has to be trimmed to length, then two slight bends made on one arm in a vice, and then new holes match drilled. It’ll never collapse on you.

You can buy it here:

Nice find.  Looks like a great replacement.  

• Like 1

@PilotCoyote That looks awesome!

How does this new hinge sit/fit between the baggage door and the frame? Any issues with the door being nudged slightly when closed with this hinge?

Also looking at the photos, did you bend the hinge attached to the fuselage or did it come like that?

Edited by Immelman