Baggage door strut

podair

I have lost track how many times this thing has tried to decapitate me... I am a bit tired of the baggage door crashing on my head when there is a slight gust of wind when loading. Are there any aftermarkets STCs which a sturdier solution, or shall I just call Lasar for a new one? Mine is pretty loose around the bit where it clicks into place, and I can't see how I can fix mine.

Edited by podair

3 minutes ago, podair said:

I have lost track how many times this thing has tried to decapitate me... I am a bit tired of the baggage door crashing on my head when there is a slight gust of wind when loading. Are there any aftermarkets STCs which a sturdier solution, or shall I just call Lasar for a new one? Mine is pretty loose around the bit where it clicks into place.

Not sure on yours but the C's & E's just go over center to hold them in place. Mine was MIA and not available so I copied a buddy's , fairly easy to make

image.jpeg.c430cd017435b2db9263db445a2b4df5.jpeg

31 minutes ago, podair said:

thanks, but on the F it is a slider that clicks into place when extended, I ll try and take a picture next time I fight with it. 

my bad... my E is the older style. Could you drill a small hole through both arms and pin it with one of these? 

image.jpeg.a7cd8d1f957775ae5d8b8bc12131ba79.jpeg

2 hours ago, M20F-1968 said:

Why not use a pneumatic piston.  This is more of a hardware part.  Does it really have to be  factory part or copy of a factory part?

John Breda

Maybe we could get the people that make the very popular gas structs for the pipers to get an stc for the Mooney's like they did for the pipers. They have them both for the pilot door and baggage door. 

I have a RAT (air driven alternator) that uses such struts to push open a door to get the turbine into the wind (mounter on the avionics bay door).  The company makes 

them in many sizes.  I am sure one can be used for this purpose.  I'll look for the manufacturer's name.

John Breda

5 hours ago, Huitt3106 said:

Who would be a good source for this? I’d prefer to do it this way depending on the price. Thank you!

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt,

We have three resources for pre-owned Mooney parts around here...

@Alan Fox

@acpartswhse

@SheryLoewen

Every now and then somebody will mention a salvage yard they have used. So using the search function may also give a hint to where you may find something...

Best regards,

-a-

The link below is the one I'm looking for.  My local MSC doesn't have anything available but they found the one in the link.  I may have to install one as owner supplied.  

https://aircraftpartsandsalvage.com/product_info.php?products_id=29309

Edited by Huitt3106

I don't know about the one in the link above used on the older C model. But the long slider mechanism used on the Mid body's and long body's are repairable by LASAR and very affordable. In fact, they may have one on the shelf ready to go as an exchange or they'll repair your existing one. What they send out is like new, except stronger with a beefier weld at the door and base.

I don't know about the one in the link above used on the older C model. But the long slider mechanism used on the Mid body's and long body's are repairable by LASAR and very affordable. In fact, they may have one on the shelf ready to go as an exchange or they'll repair your existing one. What they send out is like new, except stronger with a beefier weld at the door and base.

Definitely don’t want to have to buy a new one if that’s what you have.. Here’s their link for that (it’s not available). https://lasar.com/doors/baggage-door-hold-open-arm-350154-901

I called them earlier and they don’t have any available that match what I have.

Definitely don’t want to have to buy a new one if that’s what you have.. Here’s their link for that (it’s not available). https://lasar.com/doors/baggage-door-hold-open-arm-350154-901

I called them earlier and they don’t have any available that match what I have.

This is their link for the older style https://lasar.com/doors/baggage-door-arm-913020-002

I’ll likely just figure out a way to fabricate my own. It’s hurts my CB soul to pay $175 for a used part that is made up of $1 worth of materials (I’m fully aware of the cost to manufacture low demand parts like this, not arguing with that aspect).

2 hours ago, Huitt3106 said:

Do you remember the materials you used? What gauge and st

Not sure on the gauge but it was the same as the original, material was overkill (4130  Chromoly), I turned the rivet out of mild steel. I've made 2 others for MS members but I don't have enough 4130 left to make another one, plus my lathe is tied up for the next 4 or 5 weeks or I'd make you one and send it to you.... Sorry

Not sure on the gauge but it was the same as the original, material was overkill (4130  Chromoly), I turned the rivet out of mild steel. I've made 2 others for MS members but I don't have enough 4130 left to make another one, plus my lathe is tied up for the next 4 or 5 weeks or I'd make you one and send it to you.... Sorry

No worries, I appreciate the information!

• Like 1