EDM 830 Installation

jcovington

A few years ago I added a basic EDM 700 to our M20J. It was a tight fit but I was able to get it to fit above the right radio stack. I designed a subpanel and had Aircraft Specialty (http://www.aircraftspecialty.com/) cut and silkscreen the panel for the EDM (see first photo). Over the years I added more sensors to the EDM 700 and it served me well.

Last year the EDM 700 screen started to dim at random times so I knew it was going to need servicing. I had never added fuel flow to the 700 as I had a Shadin Miniflow giving me fuel flow information. I considered sending the 700 back for repair and getting the fuel flow option added turning it into an 800. I considered removing the 700 and adding an EDM 900 to remove the primary ship's instruments. Ultimately I decided to remove the EDM 700 and the Shadin Miniflow. In its place I installed an EDM 830. My reasoning was that the EDM 700 screen is fairly small for the amount of information to display and I didn't want to put more money into it. I decided against the EDM 900 as I wanted to keep the ship's instruments. I haven't had very many problems with them and I wanted the redundancy. I realize that the EDM 830 isn't primary but if I am on an out island in the Bahamas I will use it to get back to some place the primary can be repaired. 

When I had the GTX345 installed a couple of years ago I had the DME and ADF radios removed from the right radio stack giving me a couple more inches to work with for the larger EDM 830. I experimented with a horizontal layout for the EDM 830 (left panel in second picture) and didn't like that as well as the vertical orientation (middle panel in second photo). After living with the vertical orientation for a few months I had Aircraft Specialty cut a final panel (right panel in second photo). 

I received the final panel yesterday and installed it this morning. I am very happy with the final results. The technique that Aircraft Specialty uses now is an anodized finish with laser etching. A clear coat over silkscreening can crack where the screws are tighten. The anodized panels don't have this problem. The colors are more limited it anodizing but since I wanted black it worked out great for me. The final photos show everything installed. 

WP_20140817_13_25_14_Pro.jpg

20190921_081104.jpg

20190921_084513.jpg

20190921_084845.jpg

20190921_084835.jpg

Edited by jcovington
Correct name of Aircraft Specialty
  • Like 3