Insurance Rates Increasing - BS!

GLJA

Started work on the repair today. Decision was made to not remove the entire tail, and completely replace both skins. Instead, trimming back to the rivets around the damage, replacing the rib, and patching that way. 

Tech needed to check and see if he required a doubler around the river line, so he left this as is for now. 2024 aluminum should be here Monday, and repair completed Tuesday night ready for paint. 

67B49C24-782D-4F7D-A3C7-5D9EFC97ACB3.jpeg

F3D29B92-6840-41DA-88A8-CD3177545886.jpeg

Interesting.   Please post pics of progress and completed repair.

Found out today that my hangar neighbor's Comanche rolled itself off the scales while the jacks were still parked under the wings but not supporting the airplane.   It landed on the jacks right on a rib on each side.   He had chopped out a spot to put a temporary patch and it's kind of similar to your pic.  

Just now, EricJ said:

Interesting.   Please post pics of progress and completed repair.

Found out today that my hangar neighbor's Comanche rolled itself off the scales while the jacks were still parked under the wings but not supporting the airplane.   It landed on the jacks right on a rib on each side.   He had chopped out a spot to put a temporary patch and it's kind of similar to your pic.  

This was stage 1. We discussed the patch and decided to go all the way to the rivets around it. More structurally sound and I think will look more professional and unnoticeable. 

100% will post photos. Estimated time is 12-15 hours of work, aside from the 2-3 months it would take my AME

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArtVandelay said:

Are you just going to splice in a rib section, or do you have to replace entire rib?

Tom

The front rib goes from the middle spar forward. It’s a $125 part from Mooney. 

3 rivets connect it to the spar, then all the way around the skin. 

44875B48-01FF-4120-AA10-1D55659FC720.jpeg

5 hours ago, GLJA said:

The front rib goes from the middle spar forward. It’s a $125 part from Mooney. 

3 rivets connect it to the spar, then all the way around the skin. 

44875B48-01FF-4120-AA10-1D55659FC720.jpeg

Least expensive certified airplane part I've ever heard of! Hope the rest of the work goes as well.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hank said:

Least expensive certified airplane part I've ever heard of! Hope the rest of the work goes as well.

The AME-S doing the work couldn’t believe it either. He was going to originally reuse the bent one, until I gave him the price on a new one. 

I’m anxious to see the final result Tuesday night of the repair. 

53 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

WOW! I'll say.

I'm thinking their computer had the wrong price...I'd bet it was supposed to be $1,250!

Well, add in rush freight, duty, and exchange it soon becomes a $350 part! Feel better now?

2 hours ago, GLJA said:

Well, add in rush freight, duty, and exchange it soon becomes a $350 part! Feel better now?

Hey, I'm happy for you!  I was already feeling better knowing someone didn't get the usual aviation price gouge.

Edited by MikeOH
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

Hey, I'm happy for you!  I was already feeling better knowing someone didn't get the usual aviation price gouge.

I feel better putting in a new replacement rib, rather than trying to reinforce the old one. 

1 hour ago, Planegofast said:

Just curious, my antenna faces forward.  Does the antenna work facing towards the rear?  I like the look better.

Was wondering how long it would take someone to notice. 

Guy that did the repair was having a bad day. Had issues rethreading a couple of bolts, and fitting the top skin. I was looking through photos and mentioned that he put the antenna on backwards. 

Told him not to worry about it as the rudder travel isn’t affected 

1 hour ago, GLJA said:

Was wondering how long it would take someone to notice. 

Guy that did the repair was having a bad day. Had issues retreading and fitting the top skin. I was looking through photos and mentioned that he put the antenna on backwards. 

Told him not to worry about it as the rudder travel isn’t affected 

The radiation pattern might be affected, but you can try it and see.

1 minute ago, ArtVandelay said:

Won’t the tail now interfere, especially if VOR on a 90° bearing?

Tom

Don't think the radio waves will affect the rudder at any angle ?????

Are you thinking the VOR actually rotates? If that's the case, how do the towel rack ones on the 201 and up operate? 

36 minutes ago, GLJA said:

Don't think the radio waves will affect the rudder at any angle ?????

Are you thinking the VOR actually rotates? If that's the case, how do the towel rack ones on the 201 and up operate? 

Changing the antenna orientation relative to the metal in the tail can be expected to affect the antenna pattern.   On many aircraft the antenna whiskers point back, on some, including Mooneys, they point forward.   Changing it may affect the sensitivity in certain directions since the tail will now be in a different place relative to the antenna.   You can try it and see what happens, but you'll want to compare different orientations or directions to the VOR at the edge of the VORs range.    It might work fine, but it might not.   I'd be surprised if it isn't changed somehow.   The main way to know that it isn't affected would be to put it back the way it was.

The "towel rack" is a different type of antenna with a different installation that has been tested for it's particular configuration, so not really comparable.

4 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Changing the antenna orientation relative to the metal in the tail can be expected to affect the antenna pattern.   On many aircraft the antenna whiskers point back, on some, including Mooneys, they point forward.   Changing it may affect the sensitivity in certain directions since the tail will now be in a different place relative to the antenna.   You can try it and see what happens, but you'll want to compare different orientations or directions to the VOR at the edge of the VORs range.    It might work fine, but it might not.   I'd be surprised if it isn't changed somehow.   The main way to know that it isn't affected would be to put it back the way it was.

The "towel rack" is a different type of antenna with a different installation that has been tested for it's particular configuration, so not really comparable.

AME that didn’t install it says it won’t matter. Only reasoning they are installed forward (typically not on Mooney’s), is in tail draggers. That way, you don’t take an eye out with one while doing a walk around. 

Either way, it’s an easy swap if there are any issues. For now, I’ve got more important things to do, like prep and paint the tail.