Insurance Rates Increasing - BS!

GLJA

In this case, BS stands for Bird Strike. Hit a Canada Goose on take off, at about 300 AGL. Flock was landing on a field to feed, I tried to climb over them, and got past 8 of the 9. One flared up, hit the windshield, and ended up on the Vertical Tail. 

If anyone has a lead on a cheapish Vertical Fin for a 74 M20F, I'm all ears. 

Starboard.jpg

Landing.jpg

Port Front.jpg

Port.jpg

Starboard Front.jpg

• Sad 2

29 minutes ago, Im_an_FNG said:

Hey man, I don't know about spare parts. But I am super glad to hear you are safe and well. Those birds are heavy. To that end, i suspect you have structural damage in the vertical tail.

My AME took a look. This is what he said:

”There’s three ribs and two skins that make up the vertical stabilizer. You’ve damaged one rib and both skins. You’d be better off finding a salvaged tail fin and replacing.” 

I tend to agree. But, I’ll wait and see what insurance says next week. Their money, their call. Sounds like it’ll be more economical to bolt on a new fin. 

I would totally save that tail with the gore in my hanger as wall art.  That polished area is very nice.  Maybe mount a flying goose coming at it...

Sorry, that was a little soon.  Glad YOU and most of plane are all right and will fly again.

Probably one of those damn American Goose’s vacationing Up Nort.

Again, sorry I know it is to soon.

Hope it gets repaired quickly.

Good story to tell.

That goose was named Darwin.

• Like 2

My office that I fly to is in an agricultural area and on a flyway for water fowl. It’s seems like every take off I’m dogging them. I feel that a bird strike is a high probability in my furure. I’ll have to say you hit that goose pretty square. If it didn’t get cut in half it had to have hung on for a bit to make that big of mess!

Just now, kmyfm20s said:

My office that I fly to is in an agricultural area and on a flyway for water fowl. It’s seems like every take off I’m dogging them. I feel that a bird strike is a high probability in my furure. I’ll have to say you hit that goose pretty square. If it didn’t get cut in half it had to have hung on for a bit to make that big of mess!

I actually took off part of the feathers and breast before I took the photo. Should’ve left it on, but wanted to see damage. 

Just now, carusoam said:

Glad for two things...

1) The Mooney was strong enough to hold together...

2) You were able to share the pics...

In my area we get some large geese and vultures...

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Best regards,

-a-

I had a first time passenger with me, and I said the same thing several times to him. They’re well built birds! Obviously stronger than a goose. 

• Like 1

Yuk!

I am glad it didn't go through the windscreen and into your lap.  That is a big bird.

I hit a bird about 2 weeks ago - a little tiny sparrow sized bird - a glancing blow to the windscreen right in front of me the pilot position - it left a lot of blood but no damage.

I am very glad you are ok.

8 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

So you were only doing about 80 knots, cannot imagine what it would have happened it you hit one in cruise.

Tom

I passed a large, soaring raptor of some kind at 9000' last weekend.    We both saw each other and avoided a collision, but the initial viewing angle I had on him didn't look like a bird and I was struggling to figure out what it was up there.   At first I thought it was a helicopter and much further away.   He didn't have ADS-B-out.   Probably waiting on a busy shop like everybody else.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Yetti said:

Turkey vultures.  Dodge one about every other flight.  Good training for quadcopter avoidance.

Turkey vultures and Harris hawks are social, so there's seldom just one.   This guy was by himself, so I suspect it was something else.   We get eagles and all manner of large and small raptors out here, so there's no telling.

39 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Turkey vultures and Harris hawks are social, so there's seldom just one.   This guy was by himself, so I suspect it was something else.   We get eagles and all manner of large and small raptors out here, so there's no telling.

Yep.  They love riding the thermals up.   last time I dodged one it was about 5000 AGL.   He had some others "in the pattern" below him/her.

• Like 1

You have no idea what the internal structure is like in a used vertical stabilizer from a scrap yard.  I would "repair" yours.  The shop to go to without question is Beegles Aircraft, Greeley, CO.  They have been doing structural repairs for a long time. 

John Breda

42 minutes ago, M20F-1968 said:

You have no idea what the internal structure is like in a used vertical stabilizer from a scrap yard.  I would "repair" yours.  The shop to go to without question is Beegles Aircraft, Greeley, CO.  They have been doing structural repairs for a long time. 

John Breda

Hi John,

I actually sent the photos to a Structural Engineer friend of mine that works for Westjet. Pretty sure he’s giving me the friends and family discount, but he figures he could get it done, less a repaint, in a weekend and under the cost and install of a new vertical stab. 

I’m going to look for a new rib, and what parts are needed and go from there. If I’m up in the air in less than 3 weeks, I’m a happy happy man. 

Will definitely document the repair as I go along. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GLJA said:

Hi John,

I actually sent the photos to a Structural Engineer friend of mine that works for Westjet. Pretty sure he’s giving me the friends and family discount, but he figures he could get it done, less a repaint, in a weekend and under the cost and install of a new vertical stab. 

I’m going to look for a new rib, and what parts are needed and go from there. If I’m up in the air in less than 3 weeks, I’m a happy happy man. 

Will definitely document the repair as I go along. 

You will be using insurance dollars to get this work done.  The vertical stabilizer (and the Mooney flap) are two of the thinnest control surfaces in General Aviation.  

Beegles has jigs and the experience working on Mooneys to do the work correctly.  I would still suggest them as a first choice.  They can also get the work done as quickly any anyone (not sure about their availability to do the work however).   

You likely will want Mooney Engineering to weigh in on if the plane is able to be ferried.

John Breda

• Like 1