Prebuy Wednesday, I Probably Need to Buy Stuff

Derek

Small toolbox

Screwdriver with the ends that flip, pliers, knife, paper towels, small tube of hand cleaner, lightbulbs for any panel lights, small multimeter, extra batteries for anything that might take them, funnel, small container of brake fluid and two quarts of oil, an assortment of screws for inspection panels and elsewhere, tire gauge, mini tire inflator, window cleaner and microfibre towels.

8 minutes ago, RogueOne said:

Engine inlet cover and pitot cover.  Plexus for windshield and cotton towels (CLEAN).  Extra set of keys (multiple).  Tie down ropes.

Good call, +1 on the pitot cover.  The engine inlet cover or plugs is good, but maybe not a "must have from day one"...

@Derek, can you tell we're all waiting with bated breath for pictures?  :) 

Oh, @TonyK reminds me, if you have the same Bussman fuses for the panel and glareshield lights I do, you WILL burn them out, and they can be stupidly expensive from the wrong places (I've seen $50-60 each), so I'd suggest ordering a couple now from here ($11 each)...

https://www.newark.com/bussmann-by-eaton/gmw-5/fuse-5a-125v-fast-acting/dp/19K5343

• Like 1

Gatts jar

relief bags

white terry cloth hand towels

barf bag Multi all in one tool, Swiss knife

Leatherman tool

sun window shades

examine aircraft spruce catalog pilot and aircraft supplies

two spray bottles one diluted with soap one water to clean off bugs 

couple quarts oil funnel

spare headset for passenger

co detector 

flashlight

Airplane box organizer for luggage area 

lots more 

• Like 2

This is my on board toolbox, in addition to towbar, tiedown ropes, lightweight chocks as above, a quart of oil, fuel sump cups and dipstick:

20170601_173558.thumb.jpg.b518418a7b8bd6dfc66b8f786917be99.jpg

20170601_173451.thumb.jpg.a4a2654511a741dc029d9a1b350ab9c3.jpg

You'll need a small blanket for your wife (that's what the tools are spread on), and mechanic gloves if you live up north--that steel towbar is COLD in December!

• Like 1

People buy chocks? A couple of 10 inch long 2x4s work fine. If you want to be fancy, a couple of eye screws and 2 of feet of rope.

Sheesh. How are we ever going to grow the ranks of CBs. :P

If you have/get a hangar, one of the first things you will want to do is paint stripes for the wheels.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DonMuncy said:

People buy chocks? A couple of 10 inch long 2x4s work fine. If you want to be fancy, a couple of eye screws and 2 of feet of rope.

If you have/get a hangar, one of the first things you will want to do is paint stripes for the wheels.

Oh man I am not showing you my laser cut N Number powder coated with blingy chain connector.  In my defense they were cheap.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

I found a 2x2 square alum tubing off the back of a 18 wheeler trailer on the side of the road.   I cut it lengthwise on the table saw and put some 1" webbing in the holes.   Free and pretty cool.

FWIW, I’ve given up on a funnel, too messy.  I now just hang onto my empty oil can and put the lid back on.  When I need to add another quart, I cut the bottom out and I have a one time use, disposable funnel.  Dump in the next quart, and the empty becomes the funnel for next time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Derek said:

But, given that I may own a plane next week, what supplies are must haves from day one?

Derek, I think when you asked the "must haves" question, we all salivated at this with our "oh boy...what i've learned" response.  But in my opinion, it REALLY depends.  It depends how you define "must" and it also matters where you keep it.  

Sounds like you're not hangaring it, so my recommendation is to have cowl and pitot plugs.  Very little investment for anti-bird, anti-crap defense.  Tie downs and chocks depends where you go, and as part of my instruction checklist, I always made trainees call the FBO for "just checking" info.  Thus, ask if they have these items...if not, maybe somewhere else is better for my $100 hamburger lunch.  Still, that being said, a set of tie downs and chocks is a NO BRAINER as far as investment goes.  You just bought a $XXX,XXX piece of machinery and the few pesos to have just-in-case tie downs, chocks, tow bar...is easy.  Do it.

Now, the fun part...you'll realize what you need with the most important thing: experience.  Where you are and how/where you fly will determine what you "must have."  I have realized that a cover is MY must have because i worry about chips and dirt and etc; others will disagree.  And that's what's awesome.  One man's trash is another mans treasure, and one man's "must have" is another pilot's "waste of money".  So, enjoy the ride and don't stress.  I've wasted money on unneeded crap, but it makes me a smarter owner.  enjoy it all. :) 

• Like 3

+1 for all the various things people use... some more critical than others...

+1 for Jim’s recommendation on the CO monitor...

This little device didn’t get much play when I was training to fly... it probably still doesn’t...

My CFI said I would recognize the exhaust aromas, and see the moisture condensing on the inside of the windows...

Our friend Dan @DanM20C has done a lot of work to educate MSers in the arts and sciences of CO measurement... he has great first hand experience...

While getting to know your new 2U plane... get a CO monitor so you don’t mistake something important for something not so important...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

I dunno, I think chocks are useful enough for temporary use.  They're particularly useful when I have to fuel at a local airport that has a sloping ramp where the fuel pump is.  It's no fun to see your plane rolling away as you're walking to the pump! :o

I use these Airgizmos chocks.  They're cheap and take up no space in the back.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/airgizmoswheelchocks.php

Similar to these, I bought a couple of the bright orange triangular shaped marshaling wands and they work great as transient chocks. Don't weigh a thing either.

Good luck,

Patrick

https://www.trafficsafetystore.com/traffic-wands/day-wand#PAIR WND DAY16

10 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

FWIW, I’ve given up on a funnel, too messy.  I now just hang onto my empty oil can and put the lid back on.  When I need to add another quart, I cut the bottom out and I have a one time use, disposable funnel.  Dump in the next quart, and the empty becomes the funnel for next time.

This is my favorite oil refill spout.

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-10107B-12-FloTool-No-Spill/dp/B0000AXRH0/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2LULDZ2O5HYQK&keywords=oil+spout+for+motor+oil&qid=1568987991&sprefix=oil+spout%2Caps%2C160&sr=8-2

• Like 1

For adding one quart, you don't need a funnel or spout and I'd rather not have one in the plane because they are dirty..  Just pour it carefully down the dip stick.  It will flow along the dipstick. 

For oil, Petroleum Supply Company.  A case of Phillips XC 20-60 ships with a spout.  

For funnels, I do keep a long skinny funnel trimmed to fit into the top of the GATT fuel jar for sumping the main drain so I can set it on the ground and the just worry about pulling the drain in the cabin.  I used to try to do it without but if you apply a sideways force to the drain pull, it can get stuck and its kinda hard to reach anyway.

22 minutes ago, hypertech said:

For adding one quart, you don't need a funnel or spout and I'd rather not have one in the plane because they are dirty..  Just pour it carefully down the dip stick.  It will flow along the dipstick. 

For oil, Petroleum Supply Company.  A case of Phillips XC 20-60 ships with a spout.  

For funnels, I do keep a long skinny funnel trimmed to fit into the top of the GATT fuel jar for sumping the main drain so I can set it on the ground and the just worry about pulling the drain in the cabin.  I used to try to do it without but if you apply a sideways force to the drain pull, it can get stuck and its kinda hard to reach anyway.

I like the give away blue plastic ones. For storage, I plug the ends and wrap it with a shop towel and carry it in my tool bag. There's a little trick - screw the funnel onto the jug and  move with deliberate haste - to poring w/o spill but once you get the hang of it you can screw the funnel into the filler tube and leave it to drain.