Zeftronics vs. Plane Power Voltage Regulators

Marauder

My voltage regulator is having issues and I am researching a replacement unit. For those of you who have made this decision, what are the pros and cons of both units? The Zeftronics are almost twice the price of the Plane Power. The Zeftronics can be purchased with a Cannon plug which should plug directly into the Mooney harness. The Plane Power appears to require you to cut the harness and individually connect each lead to the regulator. Since I own a Plane Power alternator any advantage that the Plane Power voltage regulator has working with their own alternator? Both have similar features but the Zeftronics has a troubleshooting light. Thoughts?

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/planePowerSAL2.php

Looks like the Plane Power may need an adapter plate for my Mooney & they do not have a noise reducer. (Model R1224)

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/zeftronicsreg.php?clickkey=3013337 (Model R1530B)

Zef customer service was helpful.  I bought a new zef when I thought mine was dying.  I was wrong, was the cb feeding power to the zef building resistance.  

Are you sure it’s your vr going?  Do you currently have an old mechanical one?

you should troubleshoot the voltage into the vr vs battery voltage first, and field output at the vr vs field input into the alternator first.  If either of those two combinations has more than about 0.5 drop, it’s not the vr that’s the problem.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marauder said:

My voltage regulator is having issues and I am researching a replacement unit. For those of you who have made this decision, what are the pros and cons of both units? The Zeftronics are almost twice the price of the Plane Power. The Zeftronics can be purchased with a Cannon plug which should plug directly into the Mooney harness. The Plane Power appears to require you to cut the harness and individually connect each lead to the regulator. Since I own a Plane Power alternator any advantage that the Plane Power voltage regulator has working with their own alternator? Both have similar features but the Zeftronics has a troubleshooting light. Thoughts?

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/planePowerSAL2.php

Looks like the Plane Power may need an adapter plate for my Mooney & they do not have a noise reducer. (Model R1224)

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/zeftronicsreg.php?clickkey=3013337 (Model R1530B)

What model do you have, I probably have one or 2 zeftronics sitting on the shelf. 

You have my number

Brian

• Like 2

+1 on Zef...

My M20C got one to replace the sticks and stones and springs device that came originally with the plane...

Easy install into the same space, same wires, same same.... completely improved performance...

The original VR stuck on... boiled the battery, and melted the generator’s solder joints...

Look up the options that you can install with that... remote status lights on the panel would be beneficial...

Old PP memories of My M20C... I wasn’t so old back then... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

I've had my plane for two years and it has the Zef installed; I'd have to look up how long it's been in the plane.

Works perfectly; the Insight G3 always shows 13.8 VDC regardless of RPM or load.

Edited by MikeOH
  • Like 1

Zef customer service was helpful.  I bought a new zef when I thought mine was dying.  I was wrong, was the cb feeding power to the zef building resistance.  

you should troubleshoot the voltage into the vr vs battery voltage first, and field output at the vr vs field input into the alternator first.  If either of those two combinations has more than about 0.5 drop, it’s not the vr that’s the problem.

What’s in there now is an old analog regulator that has a couple of “George’s” repair stickers on it. I will need to look back but I’m pretty sure I sent it out for repair once or twice during the 28 years I owned the plane.

When the alternator was replaced, the voltage to the VR was confirmed and the shop felt it was the alternator. Since I was on the road, I opted to replace it with a PP. The post maintenance run up looked fine and the voltage looked good on the JPI and he portable voltmeter I had plugged in. It started going low again recently.

I did look at it last night and found the ground wire coming out of the Cannon connector was slightly loose. Not sure how important the ground is in maintaining voltage. Will know when I get to fly it again.

e7140571c2f9beb3639128d2f8a31eaa.jpg

842634395d8ba2ca6547f31ae37a8095.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I put a Zef in my Cessna several months ago.  I wasn’t sure if the problem was the regulator or the alternator and didn’t want to full field it and run the engine to test.

i had won a Zef as a door prize at a Mooney Max event, so I got it and installed it in five minutes, turned on the key and got a green light on the regulator meaning all was good.  I have run it with no issues since.  The green light and troubleshooting instructions are worth the price of admission.

Edited by MBDiagMan
  • Like 1

my zef vr went bad in about 3 months.  Went back and forth pointing fingers at plane power alternator.  Finally just got a plane power vr and havent had any issues since. And still havent gotten a refund from zeftronics though they have the bad VR.  I would never do business with zeftronics again.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Marauder said:

What’s in there now is an old analog regulator that has a couple of “George’s” repair stickers on it. I will need to look back but I’m pretty sure I sent it out for repair once or twice during the 28 years I owned the plane.

When the alternator was replaced, the voltage to the VR was confirmed and the shop felt it was the alternator. Since I was on the road, I opted to replace it with a PP. The post maintenance run up looked fine and the voltage looked good on the JPI and he portable voltmeter I had plugged in. It started going low again recently.

I did look at it last night and found the ground wire coming out of the Cannon connector was slightly loose. Not sure how important the ground is in maintaining voltage. Will know when I get to fly it again.

e7140571c2f9beb3639128d2f8a31eaa.jpg

842634395d8ba2ca6547f31ae37a8095.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

So if power to the VR is ok, you’ll need to check power from the VR.  Check the field voltage at the VR and at the alternator.  On my F, the field wire goes from the VR, through the master switch, then to the alternator.  My master is getting old and has built up some resistance... how’s yours?

One other thing... there are two cannon plug options.  You have the big metal old school one.  Order the correct model because there’s a little plastic cannon plug in some of our planes too.

Edited by Ragsf15e

So if power to the VR is ok, you’ll need to check power from the VR.  Check the field voltage at the VR and at the alternator.  On my F, the field wire goes from the VR, through the master switch, then to the alternator.  My master is getting old and has built up some resistance... how’s yours?
One other thing... there are two cannon plug options.  You have the big metal old school one.  Order the correct model because there’s a little plastic cannon plug in some of our planes too.

I know the shop checked voltages on the entire electrical system up to the alternator. But I don’t think those voltages were checked with a load or with the engine running. When the engine is running, I’m seeing voltages vary from 13.0 to 13.7 in flight. And there didn’t seem to be a logic to the varying voltage. I watched it carefully when the gear was lowered and the voltage remained around 13.3 throughout the cycle.

I’m hoping the loose ground is the culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's probably not a bad idea, checking all the connections, to include cleaning the canon plug puns and sockets.

After that:

6 hours ago, TheTurtle said:

my zef vr went bad in about 3 months.  Went back and forth pointing fingers at plane power alternator.  Finally just got a plane power vr and havent had any issues since. And still havent gotten a refund from zeftronics though they have the bad VR.  I would never do business with zeftronics again.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 8:57 PM, TheTurtle said:

That is unacceptable. They need to at least send you the Vr  you paid for so you can resell it. Don’t give up on getting satisfaction from Zef. Sorry that this happened to you. 

Edited by RogueOne

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2019 at 10:42 PM, Ragsf15e said:

On 9/18/2019 at 11:21 PM, orionflt said:

What model do you have, I probably have one or 2 zeftronics sitting on the shelf. 

You have my number

Brian

The problem was indeed the voltage regulator. Terry (MooneySpacer IA and I verified the voltages were low coming out of the regulator). Replaced with a Zeftronics since it already came with a Cannon plug. At idle, 14.1V, at idle with full load, including pitot heat, 13.9V.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Marauder said:

The problem was indeed the voltage regulator. Terry (MooneySpacer IA and I verified the voltages were low coming out of the regulator). Replaced with a Zeftronics since it already came with a Cannon plug. At idle, 14.1V, at idle with full load, including pitot heat, 13.9V.

looks like mine will be sitting on the shelf even longer now :) glad it's fixed.

Brian

I bought a set of auto paralleling Zef VRs for a generator powered old Baron. Probably not fair comparing mechanical VR with an external paralleling relay box to a electronic set but they are exceptional in comparison. I replaced them because the mechanical set was difficult to sync and set the voltages right at the same time. In addition it would change with temperature. I have no experience with customer service because I found the instructions to be good and they worked perfectly.

• Like 1