A different approach to accidents/incidents

I pay close attention to aviation accidents because there is always something to be learned. Going public and discussing our faults can’t be easy especially in a higher profile airplane accident.

I’m sure many of us have experienced that inner voice that hints to us that something’s not quite right. It’s important that we listen and error on the side of caution no matter how much we want to fly on.

He commented that the downwind aspect of the plane was compressed due to the heavy crosswind. You can see the upwind wing raised high on taxi and the initial takeoff roll. I’m sure his full aileron controls into the wind couldn’t overcome that wing lift. 

I’m reminded of my own foolishness landing my newly purchased super decathlon in a 38 knot 70 degree crosswind gusting to 45 knots. Fortunately, the landing was one of my best and exhilarating. But, the taxi to the avionics shop was stressful and  difficult with the stall horn often blaring. I had to make a call to get a couple of guys in the avionics shop to come hold down the plane so I could exit. They seemed impressed with my landing, but should have been thinking “what an idiot”.  

Edited by HXG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HXG said:

I pay close attention to aviation accidents because there is always something to be learned. Going public and discussing our faults can’t be easy especially in a higher profile airplane accident.

I’m sure many of us have experienced that inner voice that hints to us that something’s not quite right. It’s important that we listen and error on the side of caution no matter how much we want to fly on.

He commented that the downwind aspect of the plane was compressed due to the heavy crosswind. You can see the upwind wing raised high on taxi and the initial takeoff roll. I’m sure his full aileron controls into the wind couldn’t overcome that wing lift. 

I’m reminded of my own foolishness landing my newly purchased super decathlon in a 38 knot 70 degree crosswind gusting to 45 knots. Fortunately, the landing was one of my best and exhilarating. But, the taxi to the avionics shop was stressful and  difficult with the stall horn often blaring. I had to make a call to get a couple of guys in the avionics shop to come hold down the plane so I could exit. They seemed impressed with my landing, but should have been thinking “what an idiot”.  

Thank you for sharing. I recall learning something about the superior pilot using his superior judgement to avoid having to use his superior abilities. 

• Like 2