Different use of our planes...

Oscar Avalle

The World Bank is supporting the development of a new tourism area in El Salvador, called surf city. I am not a surfer... but they seem to have excellent waves for that. So I flew over the area, filmed it and prepared a video. I put it on my you tube channel and now... this... the press is happy saying That i am promoting the area through innovative means...

Enjoy the video btw...the area is beautiful and the music, well, fun...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 5

El Salvador has a long Pacific coastline, be a great place for a surf safari. If you don't get murdered first.

True, but they are getting things under control. Murder rates in San Salvador are now similar to Detroit or Chicago. Tue challenge is to get people jobs, or they will leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 minute ago, Oscar Avalle said:

True, but they are getting things under control. Murder rates in San Salvador are now similar to Detroit or Chicago. Tue challenge is to get people jobs, or they will leave.

I hope so.  From everything I've heard its a beautiful country with great people.  

22 minutes ago, steingar said:

If you don't get murdered first.

A common misconception American's have about many wonderful places around the world. I've been to San Salvador and other places in El Salvador and never once felt unsafe. And I haven't been murdered either. It truly is a beautiful country with friendly people.

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

A common misconception American's have about many wonderful places around the world. I've been to San Salvador and other places in El Salvador and never once felt unsafe. And I haven't been murdered either. It truly is a beautiful country with friendly people.

It’s not a misconception, it’s the truth for the many Salvadorans I’ve known and worked with that send money home to family members monthly so that they can pay “protection” aka extortion. Micro-Extortion is the rule not the exception.  This subject is personal to me and I am glad that the World Bank is attempting to stimulate the economy.  I live in a state that has a large Salvadoran community and have had the pleasure of working with these folks for years. I admire their culture and work ethic a great deal and know first hand the sacrifices they have made to relocate and to legally bring relatives to the United States in order to remove them from danger. Whatever your experience in Salvador, your “feelings” about safety are quite subjective and have little bearing on the reality. Even in the most godforsaken parts of the world, merely “not being murdered” is poor measure of safety (though I’ll concede it’s a start).

I mean no offense Paul but I’ve you seen make the “Common misconception Americans have” comment or something similar many times. It comes off as a bit patronizing. It’s kind of a stereotypical “Let the word traveler educate you ignorant, provincial hayseeds about what’s outside of your bubble”.  In this case, I’ll take the experience of locals that have made great sacrifices to escape with their families over the “insert county name into generic Bourdain monologue” narrative. El Salvador is getting better, but it’s still not a safe place. Gang activity is far more organized there than it is here. That’s probably not something one witnesses when they bungee in for a week or so at a time but it’s still there.  It’s certainly is a beautiful country...so beautiful that every Salvadoran I know would have likely stayed if they thought it viable.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 2

No offense taken. And I certainly don't mean to be patronizing, I'm sorry that I'm coming across that way. But I'm also convinced that the situation is different for a tourist or visitor than a local. The situation for many locals is dire. But one small part of the solution is to help generate the jobs and opportunity that comes with tourism. And I know I'm different in that I do travel extensively and a certain comfort level comes with that. 

I really appreciate your sentiment towards the Salvadoran community and share that with you. In fact, there are four Salvadorans working in my house today installing a fireplace so my Texas wife can survive the coming Colorado winter.  Absolutely wonderful guys.

What I try to get across is that American's should feel free to travel more and visit interesting and beautiful places around the globe. I don't see nearly as many Americans out and about around the planet as I see Germans, Chinese, Canadians, Israelis, Australians, French, Brits, etc. And when I talk with my friends, they say the reason is safety. I just believe it's an unfounded fear.

I have an Uncle and Aunt who are retired, in their 70's, and spending their retirement living in various cities around the world. They've spent time in almost all the capitols of Europe, or at least the major ones. So last year they asked us about Mexico City. It took some convincing, but they decided to go visit. They ended up staying three months and now say that next to London, it's their favorite city on the planet. All their other friends and family tried to talk them out of it, because of safety concerns. They had a wonderful time and are so glad they didn't miss out on that opportunity. I know, anecdotal evidence, but try it, you might like it. :D

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

No offense taken. And I certainly don't mean to be patronizing, I'm sorry that I'm coming across that way. But I'm also convinced that the situation is different for a tourist or visitor than a local. The situation for many locals is dire. But one small part of the solution is to help generate the jobs and opportunity that comes with tourism. And I know I'm different in that I do travel extensively and a certain comfort level comes with that. 

I really appreciate your sentiment towards the Salvadoran community and share that with you. In fact, there are four Salvadorans working in my house today installing a fireplace so my Texas wife can survive the coming Colorado winter.  Absolutely wonderful guys.

What I try to get across is that American's should feel free to travel more and visit interesting and beautiful places around the globe. I don't see nearly as many Americans out and about around the planet as I see Germans, Chinese, Canadians, Israelis, Australians, French, Brits, etc. And when I talk with my friends, they say the reason is safety. I just believe it's an unfounded fear.

I have an Uncle and Aunt who are retired, in their 70's, and spending their retirement living in various cities around the world. They've spent time in almost all the capitols of Europe, or at least the major ones. So last year they asked us about Mexico City. It took some convincing, but they decided to go visit. They ended up staying three months and now say that next to London, it's their favorite city on the planet. All their other friends and family tried to talk them out of it, because of safety concerns. They had a wonderful time and are so glad they didn't miss out on that opportunity. I know, anecdotal evidence, but try it, you might like it. :D

There are always anecdotal stories on either side. I think the traveler is a as much a factor in the outcome as the destination. I have a childhood friend that lived in Mexico City for years. He was abducted and driven around at gun point and forced to withdraw cash at several locations from various bank accounts. Anecdotal evidence as well and not really useful. A story like that would not deter me from visiting Mexico City but I’m not going to pretend it’s the same thing as staying in San Antonio. Wealthy Americans are by and large safe in most places until they cross the wrong path and then they make easy prey.  I don’t think Americans are generally afraid of travel but that could be do to the fact that most of my friends travel. I think it’s mostly geographic.  In the big European countries like Germany, France or Spain, one can’t be more than about 300miles from a border at any time. In the states the number is more than twice that with oceans on three sides. Some parts of America are certainly provincial than others but in reality, it’s just easier to get to a different country for most of the world. I meet a lot of Chinese travel on business. I do not frequently encounter Chinese families traveling for pleasure.

• Like 1

Most places folks leave Americans alone.  I think they know that lots of jobs depend on our money.  I was there years ago, and I never once felt unsafe except the roads, where I nearly died numerous times.  Mexico only because violent when los Narcos moved up from Columbia.  Most of the violence is los Narcos fighting amongst themselves and fighting the government.  I really don't think they have fights to pick with gringos.  That said, anyone can be at the wrong place at the wrong time.  Me, I'd not worry much about Mexico.

From what I've heard from a few folks traveling through there, El Salvador is genuinely dangerous.  This is from guys riding bikes on the way to Darien's gap.  The gangs aren't as respectful of travelers, and it is far easier to get caught in bad business.  I usually ignore American sentiments about foreign lands, Americans can be profoundly stupid about these things.  But in El Salvador I suspect its true.

I have no doubt the people are wonderful.  Most of the folks I've met in Central America have been.  

• Like 1

Oscar, great video as always!

Using a Mooney to promote tourism, Fantasticó!

I have used my Mooney for business... But, not quite as directly as this.

Thanks for sharing.

We’ll have to see if the surf boards are going to fit in side the Mooney...  :)

Traveling anywhere has some added risks... the more you travel, the better you get at it...

Won’t make much of a difference inside or outside of the US... :wacko:

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2