Is it legal? Will it work? Should I set the bourbon down?

I vote more pleasant on the fingers...

especially on cold days...

If there are any additional development steps coming...

A softer rubberier surface called TPE for thermo plastic elastomer may be even friendlier...

Some car control knobs are done this way... hard plastic core, with the TPE surface...

Nice work!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, carusoam said:

I vote more pleasant on the fingers...

especially on cold days...

If there are any additional development steps coming...

A softer rubberier surface called TPE for thermo plastic elastomer may be even friendlier...

Some car control knobs are done this way... hard plastic core, with the TPE surface...

Nice work!

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks. Yes, there will be more development....I’m still looking for the right knob- I just had these laying around. I want something like this, but it has to have a diameter small enough not to obscure the Bendix ignition placard markings. I like your idea regarding the thermoplastic elastomer.

740B2B25-5648-4FF8-BC64-7B73EB099F67.jpeg

• Like 1

You just need more stuff on your keyring. This closeup shows mine:

20190917_221254.thumb.jpg.7e761ce870b646855e533971e01749de.jpg

There's plenty to hold onto--engraved tag from CFI commemorating my PPL, blue key (baggage door), green key (get inside door), hangar key, maintenance hangar key, old hangar key (just in case). Plenty to hold onto for the push, even with thick Yankee gloves when flying / training in winter with occasional single-digit temps.

Edited by Hank
  • Haha 1

Just now, Hank said:

You just need more stuff on your keyring. This closeup shows mine:

20190917_221254.thumb.jpg.7e761ce870b646855e533971e01749de.jpg

There's plenty to hold onto--engraved tag from CFI commemorating my PP,, blue key (baggage door), green key (get inside door), hangar key, maintenance hangar key, old hangar key (just in case). Plenty to hold onto for the push, even with thick Yankee gloves when flying / training in winter with occasional single-digit temps.

I can’t have anything hanging on my key because it will obscure the instrument below... your ign switch location is definitely much better than mine!

14 hours ago, PilotCoyote said:

Hmmm...You’re correct. Perhaps I will make more friends this way.:huh:

This key would stay in the plane though..

I've always kept keys on a belt clip and ring.  They jangle a bit, but it beats having to dig out keys from your groin when you sit down :blink:

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Seymour said:

Are you in mass production and bartering yet?

It's worth a Jim Beam (and maybe even Ezra if postage is included).

I’ve got to go see the locksmith again- I used an existing key for my plane for this experiment, but if I made them with key blanks, I’ve got to be sure that there’s enough room for him to clamp the key + cap in the cutting machine.

might be a fun weekend project to punch out a bunch of them. No time till mid oct though- airplane is going through annual this weekend, then family stuff for three weeks. 

If I do make some, I’ll post here to see if anybody wants them. They’d be available in red or black and probably won’t cost much.

Edited by PilotCoyote
  • Like 2

On 9/20/2019 at 9:15 AM, PilotCoyote said:

Looks like I'm going to partner with my son to manufacture these things.

The new design is a more robust slide-over cap that clamps an unmodified key. There will be an option that incorporates a key ring as well.

Stay tuned!

Great idea!  I’m eager to purchase 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 12:38 AM, carusoam said:

That looks even better!

And these do too... with the gravity switch... :)

really looks like you can tell what mag is selected, just by looking! :)

-a-

2C029264-E527-409A-BC28-0E491E97B7C9.jpeg

570F2847-43CE-4127-B3BE-9C7819E3AA5F.jpeg

D924387D-E3A3-4A71-B91C-DA05DF7E8B20.jpeg

3FA08716-0A50-4086-BBD6-4ECAB6CEF1FC.jpeg

I have to try this.  My ignition switch is in the same spot and my hand gets jammed against the sidewall and hard to turn and push.  I love that it is very obvious the key is in and what it is pointing at.  I assume you just used two part epoxy to held the key in the knob after you hollowed out the interior of the knob?  What's next, someone find a way to make it glow or have an LED built in?  LOL  This also works great with a little sign a WWII pilot gave me, "if it's red or dusty, don't touch it".

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

My son scolded me last week for getting close to a propeller “without knowing where the key is.” Seems like a bright red one would be easy to spot on the dash. Great idea!

Good for your son. Those that have flown with me know that I always ask them "where is the key" before I help push it back or get near the prop. I have been in rehab for a few months once, dont plan on returning...

• Like 1