Risk matrix

Thinking about my risk matrix.

Will land a Mooney on grass - At the Dallas meet up I was the only one who raised my hand to land on grass.

Will fly at night sometimes when the skills are sharp -  only as long as there is 3/4 of a moon or greater

Won't fly formation with the Caravan.

Don't attend airshows

Sometimes wonder if getting in a 45 year old machine that flies is a good idea

The Malibu owners group has a nice free FRAT tool ap that I use from time to time. It’s fairly accurate. MMOPA-FRAT Most corporate operators have a risk assessment tool  associated  with a safety management.

Its all about mitigating risk. It’s surprising how fast the fact of the flight stack against you. All it takes to brake the chain is to say no to one of them. 

I wouldn't fault you decisions, as it sounds like you are mitigating risks well and you are comfortable doing so. 

-Matt

The Yetti has firmly scored a passing grade!

He is sane, recognizes some limitations, and is comfortable in his own fur...

1) Given enough time... everything changes...

2) If allowed to change randomly... things don’t usually get better on their own...

3) Decide How you want to proceed...

4) Some people enjoy day VFR flights locally... in nice weather...

5) If you have found yourself being too limited, and you want to do something about it...

• go fly with other people...
  • get some training...
  • fly more often...
  • go to a Mooney fly in...
  • discuss Mooney flying in a positive manner...
  • avoid the negativity that comes with some flying discussions...
  • set some goals...
  • make it happen...

6) Then there is the inevitable... age and health issues...  Some people actually retire from flying.

7) Celebrate taking the next steps...

8) In my best days... grass and trainer planes didn’t do anything for me, just not part of my matrix.

9) If I wanted grass and Mooney... training would be a great way to get that wanted comfort level... practice would demonstrate my skills to myself...

10) fear of crowded skies? How many Mooneys run into things while flying? Does calming statistics work for everyone?

11) flying formation? Easy enough to avoid... without much penalty... ‘Don’t hit lead’ works if everyone follows the rule...

12) Getting in a 45 year old machine has the same risks as getting in a five year old machine... much better than a brand new machine... (infant mortality of machinery discussion)

13) Find bull, identify horns, grab horns firmly... Stay current... follow checklists... look out the windows... keep your plane AW... IMSAFE... 

I’m going with fly early and often for now, and at higher altitudes...on sunny days...  :)

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Risk management involves a number of steps. First is identifying the risks. Second is assessing the risks which is where the risk matrix (likelihood vs. severity)  fits. The matrix is a tool to guide you to identify which risks are significant enough to require a risk management plan. Traditionally, risk management plan strategies fall into four categories: Avoid, Mitigate, Transfer, Accept. Examples due to a risk of icing might be: Avoid - cancel the flight. Mitigate - delay, or choose a different route below the freezing level, or use a different airplane with FIKI capability. Transfer - take an airline flight. Accept - mission is critical, press on. 

Skip

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Oh and the 3 rules for flying.

1. Always land with an hour of gas in the tanks.

2. Never fly through a front line

3. No single engine piston in the colorado rockie mountains

You forgot #4

"Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!" :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yetti said:

Thinking about my risk matrix.

Will land a Mooney on grass - At the Dallas meet up I was the only one who raised my hand to land on grass.

Me too, so long as the  field is reasonably smooth.  Landed a 2500 foot grass strip on the UP couple weeks ago.

2 hours ago, Yetti said:

Will fly at night sometimes when the skills are sharp -  only as long as there is 3/4 of a moon or greater

I hate flying at night, but will do so at need.  My skills are usually as sharp as they're likely to be, though if its just after a spate of nasty winder wx I might demur.

2 hours ago, Yetti said:

Won't fly formation with the Caravan.

If it fits my Oshkosh schedule I would happily.  Sounds like a well-run group.  I've flown formation and enjoyed the experience mightily.

2 hours ago, Yetti said:

Don't attend airshows

Your loss.

2 hours ago, Yetti said:

Sometimes wonder if getting in a 45 year old machine that flies is a good idea

If it's been maintained there's nothing wrong with it. Only thing I would worry about vis a vis age is metal fatigue.  No indications of it I know of in Mooneys.  And your freedom depends on machines that aren''t 45 years old, they're 60 years old.  I refer of course to these:

B-52_Stratofortress_assigned_to_the_307t

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steingar said:

If it's been maintained there's nothing wrong with it. Only thing I would worry about vis a vis age is metal fatigue.  No indications of it I know of in Mooneys.  And your freedom depends on machines that aren''t 45 years old, they're 60 years old.  I refer of course to these:

I always wonder about the B-52 and space shuttle and international space station.    Seems like lots of icky build up of people's dead skin cells and such. 

1 minute ago, Yetti said:

I always wonder about the B-52 and space shuttle and international space station.    Seems like lots of icky build up of people's dead skin cells and such. 

There is the really magic thing people do from time to time.  It's called cleaning.  Granted, not certain how much any of that gets done on the Space Station, but I suspect Buffs and other airplanes see plenty.

8 minutes ago, steingar said:

There is the really magic thing people do from time to time.  It's called cleaning.  Granted, not certain how much any of that gets done on the Space Station, but I suspect Buffs and other airplanes see plenty.

How much 409 cleaner can you get around a payload release an not have it short out and release pointy boom boom things?

Just now, Yetti said:

How much 409 cleaner can you get around a payload release an not have it short out and release pointy boom boom things?

Were I cleaning one of the things I think I would have the bombs off loaded first.  I know, higher order reasoning.  Someone has to do it.

3 minutes ago, steingar said:

Were I cleaning one of the things I think I would have the bombs off loaded first.  I know, higher order reasoning.  Someone has to do it.

You'd think so.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/10/16/mechanic-accidentally-fires-cannon-destroying-f-16-ground-belgium.html

45 minutes ago, steingar said:

They get cleaned a lot!  As a lowly Lcpl, I washed many a F-18.  Later when woking on hueys and cobras spent many hours getting windblown drying the engine after a wash (at this point, I wasn't the one doing the washing).

31 minutes ago, Yetti said:

We always loaded/unloaded munitions at the CALA (Combat Aircraft Loading Area).  The CALA was away from the flight line and ramps.  The aircraft all parked pointing away from everything else (into the woods typically when state site) so should a missle or gun go off accidentally or no so accidentally, it wouldn't would hit anything with a heart or was expensive.

18 minutes ago, bob865 said:

We always loaded/unloaded munitions at the CALA (Combat Aircraft Loading Area).  The CALA was away from the flight line and ramps.  The aircraft all parked pointing away from everything else (into the woods typically when state site) so should a missle or gun go off accidentally or no so accidentally, it wouldn't would hit anything with a heart or was expensive.

most people who know about 1911s know to have a sandbag or something else to point at.   Sometimes they just go off.

2 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Really?  I own a 1911 but rarely shoot it. I’ve probably put 50,000 rounds through various Glocks, though.  I fully respect and practice all of the standard firearms safety rules, but in my experience they only go off when someone or occasionally something pulls the trigger.  

Now you know.     The glocks have a transfer bar.   The 1911 just has a floating firing pin.   If dropped hard enough the kinetic energy can move the pin foreward.   And there are other ways the hammer can drop and they  go off.   If carried in a proper holster, it will kick the slide back just a tad and then it cannot fire if the hammer drops.   I am not a fan of glocks, the balance, angle of grip is all wrong for me.

4 hours ago, Yetti said:

most people who know about 1911s know to have a sandbag or something else to point at.   Sometimes they just go off.

Mine is going to be 103 years old in a few months, never gone off without my finger telling it to. I'd rather carry my 1911 into the zombie apocalypse than a glock. Come to think of it, I do carry it into out rural Walmart after midnight. Kind of like the zombie apocalypse only without the apocalypse.

A40DE65F-E3B1-4C5C-A7B9-E1E57643C30A.jpeg

Edited by Eight8Victor
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Yetti said:

Oh and the 3 rules for flying.

1. Always land with an hour of gas in the tanks.

2. Never fly through a front line

3. No single engine piston in the colorado rockie mountains

1.  I try to never break this one.

2. Always breaking this one,  don't think it's possible to go from indy to Houston without going thru a front.

3.  Def guilty of this one.

Love flying at night BUT will admit the engine sounds different.  much easier to see other planes and airports but def harder to find emerg landing spots.

my never break rules.

1.  never take off without knowing exactly how much fuel is in the plane

2.  never bank more than 20 deg in pattern.  

3.  everything in the plane must work

4.  never let a woman spend more than 1 night

5.  no ice in my beer, EVER.

6.  never go home without checking the merchandise