GTN 650 cooling fan

Duane Baker

On 4/19/2022 at 10:29 AM, Davo said:

Same thing happened to me. I found the original part number  at avnet.com   and ordered 2 for about $12 each. Google part number SG40281B1-D05U-G99. Easy to replace and has worked perfectly since.

Has anyone found one of these recently? Avnet is out of stock. Mine has a broken wire and so far, depinning the connector hasn’t been successful. 

IMG_2391.jpeg

get it from digikey?

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/sunon-fans/SG40281B1-000U-G99/2356472

Looks like the fan is obsolete, and there are subs. Top substitute shows over 1600 available. I haven't tried that specific fan, but have ordered from digikey a LOT. It also looks like you'll need to either get some pins, and pin the plug on, or cut and splice the plug on to the new fan. 

On 10/13/2023 at 11:23 AM, haymak3r said:

get it from digikey?

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/sunon-fans/SG40281B1-000U-G99/2356472

Looks like the fan is obsolete, and there are subs. Top substitute shows over 1600 available. I haven't tried that specific fan, but have ordered from digikey a LOT. It also looks like you'll need to either get some pins, and pin the plug on, or cut and splice the plug on to the new fan. 

And have you seen those tiny contacts? I believe there are only 5 conductors in those wires. Extremely tiny.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2023 at 5:46 PM, haymak3r said:

I've soldered wire that is pretty small. including other pc fan wires. Not a hard adventure to tackle. But, if you've never soldered before, I would take it to an avionics shop or something.

Soldering isn’t great in airplanes due to vibration induced fatigue, but I had no other option. I then supported the wires together with a small blob of RTV to reduce effects of vibration.

19 hours ago, RoundTwo said:

Soldering isn’t great in airplanes due to vibration nudged fatigue, but I had no other option. I them supported the wires together with a small blob of RTV to reduce effects of vibration.

100% agree. For anything that is important, I would not suggest soldering. But a 40mm fan seems like something that wouldn't necessarily fall in that realm. 

• 5 months later...

Well, outbound from Sun ‘n Fun yesterday, I got the fan failure message. Based on comments above, I ordered the Garmin unit from Sarasota Avionics for $100. I doubt the chances would be very good that they would have had one at their booth, but that would have been really nice if I could have picked it up while there.

By the way, their show special for GTN 750 upgrade to 750xi is $5,500 instead of the normal $6,089. I’d like that xi unit, but that’s still a big stack of bills I’d like to put into the fuel tanks instead of the panel.

The XI upgrade is very nice.  I had them do my 650 to 650Xi.  Faster start up and redraws.  Nicer screen.  No need for special card and no need to leave the card in the unit.

37 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

It isn't a $10 fan, it is a $15 fan...

https://www.elecok.com/sanyo-9ga0412j301-12v-cooling-fan.html

https://publish.sanyodenki.com/San_Ace_E/book/data/San_Ace_E.pdf

You will have to add the connector.

Hopefully this will help others in the future. Still, I can’t find any reference to the J308 variant like the one I received. Their specification section doesn’t even list those options.

2 hours ago, RoundTwo said:

Hopefully this will help others in the future. Still, I can’t find any reference to the J308 variant like the one I received. Their specification section doesn’t even list those options.

They will probably make you one if you can wait 35 weeks.