GTN 650 cooling fan

Duane Baker

I’ve spoken to G about this issue as I had and very occasionally still do have the same warning on my 750.  The fan is on the back of the tray which needs to be taken out to be replaced.  If the unit begins to overheat, the screen dims and possibly the comm tx power may decrease depending on the heat level.  Even in summer in SC, my screen hasn’t dimmed when the message came up.  My plan is to get it replaced after the ads b craze opens up some shop time for some other avionics upgrades.  

Side note, I was able to tour some of the test equipment at Garmin when I was there- the ovens, freezers and lightning simulators they use to test the equipment  are very cool. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I got the message to:

It came on when flying at 6000 feet NJ to SC for fuel stop then on the second leg it was not there.....

installed about 2.5 years ago.....

What do you make of it not being there anymore?

I searched the internet and this apparently happens a lot.....

Cant have a reliable fan in this century?

IMG_3831.jpeg

When I used to design telco equipment, the specs required there be no cooling fans since the MTBF for fans was much lower than the rest of the electronics. You can imagine the issue at a large central office with an acre of equipment racks. If every box had a cooling fan, there would be thousands of them and probably multiple failures per day. Quite a trick to design for convection cooling with the possibility that your unit was mounted at the top of an 11' 6" telco rack with everything below heating up your box! Compared to that, the radio stack in an airplane is a piece of cake. The biggest issue is going to be heat soaking when the airplane has been sitting on a hot ramp in the summer for a few hours. In a J there is a central cooling fan (unless it's been removed) and it may be possible to direct a duct to blow air on the back of the GTN equipment tray.

Skip

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Same thing happened to me. I found the original part number  at avnet.com   and ordered 2 for about $12 each. Google part number SG40281B1-D05U-G99. Easy to replace and has worked perfectly since.

• Like 3