Electroair Electronic Ignition

FoxMike

• 2 weeks later...
Have any Bravo owners installed the Electroair Ignition system?  I saw some pictures of an Installation on a Bravo but I do not know the N number.  Would like a pirep if you have added the system.

I talked to this guy at Sun N Fun. He said there was an M20M in Maryland or Virginia that had it installed. He was supposed to get back to me but never did. You might call and see if he has the contact info.

e74b9f6c343f3d1e10e98070912408c5.jpg

I got a chance to talk to D. Pool, who is a national distributor for Electroair.  His comments were interesting but only one Bravo has been equipped so he has not much experience with the system on the Bravo.  I finally found the owner of the only Bravo equipped with the system.  He was very friendly  and we spoke for a long while on the phone and he followed up with an email.  His motivation for installing the Electroair was to aid in starting.  As you may know Mooney wired up some of the Bravos megs so that the left mag was grounded when the starter was cranking (left mag has impulse coupling).  I had that problem and changed the wiring to correct the problem.  At any rate the electronic ignition solved the problem and starting is easy hot or cold..  He reports that he has not noticed any performance increase (climb or cruise).  Since his install is the only one his shop had to do some innovating to get all the boxes inside the airframe. In a nut shell the coil pack was installed very near the turbo so it will see some additional heat which may affect its longevity.  The other components needed to be away from the engine compartment and were mounted in the tailcone.  To do this you have to order a harness which is meant for twins.  The owner is happy with kit but is keeping the impulse coupling and mag since their may be a time that replacement parts for the Electroair are non-existent.