Garmin GTX 345 transponder question

Jeffo

Novice question...Is there a “privacy mode” using a Garmin 345 transponder, or any other ADSB transponder for that matter?  Just did a recent install, now every flight, VFR or IFR shows up on the tracking websites.  Anyone else have this concern, and does blocking tail number with the FAA help?

18 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

At the Garmin tent at OSH we asked about this and the Garmin rep  showed me a  screenshot that has an anonymous mode button at the bottom of the transponder page on the GTN 750. Maybe it’s dealer configurable

There is an anonymous mode available to UAT transponders, but I don't know if that's implemented in all of them.  Apparently, the 1090ES people are SOL for now

39 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

... at OSH we asked about this and the Garmin rep  showed me a  screenshot that has an anonymous mode button at the bottom of the transponder page on the GTN 750...

The GTN750 screen controlling a GDL88 providing UAT ADS-B Out has provision for  the VHF anonymous mode.  

There is no equivalent privacy mode for Mode S ES transponders used to implement ADS-B out.  

The crowd-sourced systems like FlightAware receive your ADS-B transmissions directly from your plane into a wide-spread receiver network. Since that data stream is independent of the FAA that means blocking your N number with the FAA will not hide your flights.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, smwash02 said:

I think the goal was to not have one in the interest of safety.

I think one thing that wasn't predicted when ADSB was being considered is the proliferation of cheap home-brew ADSB receivers. Anyone with an internet connection can set one up for under $200, if you want to build stuff yourself then maybe even under $50.

1 hour ago, Stanton R said:

You can tell flight aware not to put your N number on the web page. https://flightaware.com/about/faq#blockmytail

In fact it looks like you can have the FAA block your N number from being sent to the internet.

Yikes, looks like it will cost you $900 a year to get selective blocking, otherwise you're not able to track your own information.

Only in the areas where mode C is required today. Not everyone is going to do ADSB and many don't need to.
I'd rather be seen so I keep my TXP on.

Technically not true. See the reg Jerry cited above - once installed it must be on in all controlled airspace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

As a follow up to my first question, has anybody here on the list tried getting their tail number blocked through the FAA? Doing some digging,  It appears tail numbers are free to block, and a monthly fee to track your own plane if blocked through specific providers.  I recognize now that companies have set up systems that captures ADSB information bypassing the FAA system.  Wondering if the big providers like Flight Aware and Fltplan.com honor the FAA’s request to block anyway even though they have captured the ADSB information outside of the FAA’s system.  I know being anonymous will never be a reality, but wondering if semi-private is possible?

1 hour ago, kortopates said:

Technically not true. See the reg Jerry cited above - once installed it must be on in all controlled airspace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"or in all controlled airspace "

Missed this segment of the clause and its definition. Good to know.

39 minutes ago, Jeffo said:

As a follow up to my first question, has anybody here on the list tried getting their tail number blocked through the FAA? Doing some digging,  It appears tail numbers are free to block, and a monthly fee to track your own plane if blocked through specific providers.  I recognize now that companies have set up systems that captures ADSB information bypassing the FAA system.  Wondering if the big providers like Flight Aware and Fltplan.com honor the FAA’s request to block anyway even though they have captured the ADSB information outside of the FAA’s system.  I know being anonymous will never be a reality, but wondering if semi-private is possible?

Yes, the providers that receive FAA data must use the block list for all data sources that they use.