Panel Mounted Clock

David_H

A previous owner removed the original sweep clock from the panel. As such, I've been looking through threads to find opinions on clocks and haven't been able to find much that's recent. Feel free to let me know if I've overlooked a thread though.

It would be nice to find a clock to go in the panel that will be IFR legal and usable. My current short-list is below. Any opinions, suggestions, or clocks to avoid?

* Davtron M800: 800-14V, Illuminated Buttons, Battery Holder.... $300.00

* Flight Data GT-50.... $169.00

* EI SC-5 Superclock... $285.00

* EI ASC-5A Superclock... $580.00

I installed the GT-50.  Nice little unit and the cheapest of the bunch.  I liked it because I didn't have a volt meter, and it added that functionality.  That alone has already saved my butt.  I was doing an IFR training flight at night on an ILS approach (VFR conditions) and it started flashing in my face.  My alternator breaker had tripped and I didn't know.  The voltage annunciator (idiot light) was flashing, but at low RPM and high load, it's not uncommon for it to flash even with no issue; so I had ignored it.  Then the GT-50 started flashing.  I was able to unload the system and land so I could troubleshoot on the ground.  The original plan was to go missed and fly home so I knew I needed the time on the ground.  Luckily it was just a breaker reset.  Otherwise I would have started troubleshooting in flight when my radios and lights went out.  The ground was a much nicer place to troubleshoot. :) 

27 minutes ago, David_H said:

A Stratus USB Charging Port is also being installed in the panel.

It seemed like it might be a good idea to keep the USB charging ports and the clock separated. I wouldn't want cables to be in the way if I were to want to time an approach.

I think that if I were in a position to have to time an approach, my whole panel would have to be nearly dead in which case I can unplug the cord and run on the ipad battery for the approach.  The only thing I actually use the clock for is clearance void times and timing 1 minute for the LOP mag test for Savvy.

A Davtron M803 is now on the way. It'll occupy the space that the M303 currently resides in. 

I probably would have selected the GT-50 if it wouldn't have been for the OAT. The GT-50 really looks to be the best deal of the bunch.

Edited by David_H

22 hours ago, David_H said:

A Davtron M803 is now on the way. It'll occupy the space that the M303 currently resides in. 

I probably would have selected the GT-50 if it wouldn't have been for the OAT. The GT-50 really looks to be the best deal of the bunch.

The GT-50 does have OAT FWIW.

• Like 1

Keep in mind too that Reg’s do not require a standalone clock - even for IFR. A clock permanently installed clock visible to the pilot is required for IFR, but the requirement can be satisfied by a GMT clock function on an existing installed  instrument - e.g. the clock on the 430W satisfies the requirement - BTW I did confirm this with AOPA legal -