APP to display glide slope angle to Runway?

Gary0747

Are there any iPad APPs that will continuously display the angle to the runway?  Allowing one to fly a constant approach angle.  This would be useful when landing on runways that do not have approach glide slope lights.   I know flying LPV approaches do this but I was looking for something simpler and useable on any runway.

Portable garmin navigators give a glide slope that can be used for situational awareness...

It requires two inputs from the pilot...

1) How far from the Runway that you want to be at what altitude... three miles, 1k’ agl...

2) what descent rate you want to use.... 400fpm... maintains good forward speed while descending at Full throttle...

Rough numbers I used with my M20C?

The glideslope appears at the top of an hsi presentation giving a few dots of warning to start the descent...

So... it’s kind of like setting a descent angle... keep your eye on the MP climbing with the descent... the glide slope will disappear out the bottom if you are not scanning enough... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Foreflight also has a descent to destination datablock at the bottom that you can select to display in the same way you do groundspeed, ETA, etc. If you want a constant 500 fpm descent to destination just wait until the number tick up to 500 then begin ur descent. If you begin descending faster the numbers decrease and vise versa. I find it helpful. 

• Like 2

c7e48ba278a592a2c5699c2ed0f41ca9.jpg

1235377c84b01f5cca1796f6d1ac9d9a.jpg

d634db5fccad1621558d21ffc17d55cf.jpg5bfc19aef4c72717157f0346166f0dac.jpg

I’ve been testing this app I purchased for $4.99. It is NOT certified and for VFR/VMC only. I downloaded it onto my iPhone. It works fairly well, but I have used it on only 5 approaches. In three of the approaches it worked perfectly. The localizer moves incrementally but it matched the aircrafts on all approaches. In two approaches I lost glide slope or never got it. To be fair to the app developer, this was probably operator error. I’ve noticed that if it’s blocked by the aircraft it will lose glide slope; and the test aircraft has a lot of blocking materials and avionics running. Placement on dash helped. The plane I tested it on was pressurized so I had to use the gps altimeter which lags behind aircraft, about 50 feet, but our approach speeds are high. It also has the capability of using IOS barometer which will allow your phones barometer to act as altimeter, but I haven’t tested it on an Unpressurized aircraft yet. (Yes, your iPhone has an internal barometer). It also allows you ability to build approaches but has internal database of all ils in USA which is pretty outstanding. Loading an approach takes less than 30 seconds once familiar with app. You can even load a previously built approach. So far I really like the app, well worth the $4.99 but like I said, I’m still evaluating. It’s amazing that a five dollar app could potentially get you down through weather in an emergency. Dan Lieff; ATPCFII

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Typical iPad gps is not WAAS.... and has an update rate that is very slow compared to modern WAAS receivers...

ipad in your lap can lose sight of the satellites pretty easily...

Portable WAAS sources like a sky radar with a remote mounted antenna on the glare shield is helpful for these issues.

Nice looking app to perform what was requested... great pirep to go with it...

PP thoughts only, not a recommendation to use....

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 years later...
On 9/15/2019 at 4:40 PM, Gary0747 said:

Are there any iPad APPs that will continuously display the angle to the runway?  Allowing one to fly a constant approach angle.  This would be useful when landing on runways that do not have approach glide slope lights.   I know flying LPV approaches do this but I was looking for something simpler and useable on any runway.

I can’t find a Glide Path indicator in ForeFlight, neither FlyQ Seattle Avionics, with a IPad. But the APK FlyisFun (FIF) in Android Samsung TAB S2 does have Glide Path indicator, which FIF called Virtual ILS. As long the APK has the runway coordinates DATA you will have Virtual ILS. 

33 minutes ago, Kapasus said:

I can’t find a Glide Path indicator in ForeFlight, neither FlyQ Seattle Avionics, with a IPad. But the APK FlyisFun (FIF) in Android Samsung TAB S2 does have Glide Path indicator, which FIF called Virtual ILS. As long the APK has the runway coordinates DATA you will have Virtual ILS. 

Welcome aboard Kapasus…

The quality of the data is critical to being able to use it reliably…

WAAS is better than non-WAAS…

Make sure you have a WAAS source feeding the system… and know what it’s data update rate is…

PP thoughts only, not an avionics tech…

:)

Best regards,

-a-