BK TAP program

Niko182

1 minute ago, toto said:

I'm not on BT, so I don't have any context. Is this really a $195k avionics upgrade? It doesn't come with a Bonanza?

It doesnt really have anything to do with a bonanza. That is the upgrade price of a new panel from BK. Thats insane imo.

Yeah, it's hard to see how the numbers make any sense at all.  If you bought an equivalent all-Garmin panel (let's say a 2x10" G500TXi, a 750/650 combo, GFC500 with a G5, and a transponder), you're probably somewhere in the neighborhood of $100k installed.  Add in $1500/year for subscriptions over five years, and you're still under $110k.  So with BK, you're paying in the neighborhood of an $85k premium.  I don't know how many avionics shops will finance installations, but you can probably find a bank that would do it.  In any case, an $85k premium for a BK panel seems ludicrous.  For the money, I'd venture that every single reader of this board would rather buy an $85k Mooney with an original panel and add $110k worth of Garmin or Avidyne toys.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChrisV said:

And if you want to sell in 3 years...?  You have to buy out the entire upgrade or try to sell a plane with a $3K/month subscription attached to it.  That would be tough.  This is definitely not meant for GA.

Even targeting hulls values at 1.5+ million or more, this is still a terrible “deal.”  Market dynamics will most likely prove this soon enough.

This is such a self evidently bad deal, that it boggles the mind what is going on at BK.  Ever since BK decided to try and shut down all the after market maintainers of BK products - such as autopilots central etc, about 3 years ago, I decided that it - I will not buy into any further BK instrumentation since such an eratic company it is just not safe or wise to do so.  Sure they then soon backed off that plan/threat.

That plus their silly 6-8 years and running promise to bring simple things like KI300 to market.

That plus I know of at least one case where a factory overhauled autopilot servo came back wired backwards so up inputs went down.... and somehow they wanted to push the cost off on the customer.

And now this - they are just telling us that good products or bad, they are one crummy and unreliable company.

Buying expensive avionics for an airplane, whether 5k-10k - 20k or ...GASP 195k is like getting married - you are planning to be with that for quite some time so pick wisely.  Its not like buying a candy bar where if you don't like it - so what - buy another one.  You are relying on it having product support for years to come.

BK - Not my kind of company.

29 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

It works for loan sharks too.  But pay up if you know what’s best for your knee caps.

Not sure, but a loan shark might be a better deal than BK is offering. Like @Niko182 said, I could drop 190k in my E and end up with a really really nice bird

• Like 1