Which of the J and older models hold their value best?

AdventureD

I stopped counting one of these in 2011... and the other, shortly after that...

:)

Seriously, the capex is in a quicken program... to be reviewed at a later date...

There is a section next to it called house...

Somebody will have to figure it all out decades from now...

Unless I start that LIVPT program... estimated to be about 17 years from the start date....

Or downsize to that forever M20E model...

Come on strong economy... don’t fail me now, or in the next 20 years...!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AdventureD said:

OP here...   First, the plane's history (which might be determined partly thorugh a filtered discussion with the owner) and a good pre-buy will inform the "money pit" aspect of your comment. Second, the issues are (i) whether the plane is priced above or below the expected value (which was not my question), and (ii) whether any particular plane is relatively more risky than another (which is implicit in my question).  Assuming risks (measured by, say, the variance of value) are the same for two planes, additional questions are the purchaser's tolerance for risk and preferences for quality.

Sorry, I'm an economist, and familiar with the Capital Asset pricing model.  Doesn't change my question.  Thanks  :).

Happy and safe flying,

AdventureD

By the way, I didn't say you were stupid (far from it, anyone who can build a ship like a Lanceair is way smarter than dopey little old me).  Just that I thought you asked a rather dumb question, and I stick to it.  The best maintained airplane on Earth can break catastrophically the next day.  A pal of mine bought himself a really nice Debonair, I know he had that thing examined down to its rivets, that's how he is.  The engine committed hari kari about a week later and landed him and his wife in hospital for months.

Yes, you do your due diligence and get the best ship you can.  But if economics really enter not it, the best thing you can do is shuck aviation and start stamp collecting, or Origami, or something else parsimonious.

There is actually a good answer for you, but it isn't a Mooney.  Mooneys, by their nature serve a fairly specialized market.  As such they make somewhat poor investments.  if you want to make a good investment in an airplane buy trainer.  A Cessna Skyhawk will always be easier to sell and will be far more likely to retain its value.

Speaking of lousy investments, are you going to disassemble your Lanceair when you're done with it to avoid the next owner from killing himself and his widow suing you?

• Confused 1