South Carolina Mooneys?

r0ckst4r

Hello, new to the forum.  I'm currently working towards my private pilot license based out of SMS in Sumter, SC.  One of my major goals when starting was to be able to fly to family in CT and FL.  After lots of searching looking for a plane to fulfill this need most searches ended up with the M20J as the answer.  I know some of the complaints about it are that it's cramped on the inside but I'm not large myself being only 5'7" and 150lbs so I think it might not be that much of an issue for me.  However, that being said I don't want my first face to face encounter with a Mooney to be when I fly 500 miles to see one for sale.  So I figured I check over here to see if there are any Mooney owners near me who might not mind showing off their pride and joy.  Don't worry, not asking to fly one, but figure if I can't stand climbing in and out of one I might as well know now.  Plus it would be nice to meet some fellow SC aviators.

SC is a perfect place to be if your mission includes flights to CT and FL...

Your stature is more than perfect to fit in an M20J... and leaves plenty of room for the rest of your family.

PPIs, WnB, and all the other good ideas, like TT... still apply...

Welcome aboard!

Best regards,

-a-

Check out the South Carolina Breakfast Club. I'm too far away, but they're as well known as the Florida Mooney Lunch Club, they just are not all Mooneys. Don't have a link, again due to distance, but I am over that way periodically. Like last weekend's trip to Landrum, just outside Spartanburg. 

Hi there!  A part of my mission is to fly from SC to NY and FL to see family.   That’s one of the things I use my K 231 for, its great as it can do those trips nonstop.   The J has the same interior space and will yield similar results, just without a turbo.

if you’re at a point where you can do a training flight or hitch an airplane ride to Laurens, there’s a breakfast club there tomorrow and I’ll be there in my K; usually a few other Mooneys also show up.  I’m happy to talk Mooney, have you sit in it, and maybe go for a ride, depending on whether the family is with me or not.   PM me for details! 

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies.  I'm not flying solo yet but it looks like the breakfast club will be at my FBO in October so hopefully if I'm lucky there might be a Mooney there.  And if not when I start making my cross countries I'll see if I can pay 81X and Amelia a visit. 

Edited by r0ckst4r

5 minutes ago, r0ckst4r said:

Thank you for the replies.  I'm not flying solo yet but it looks like the breakfast club will be at my FBO in October so hopefully if I'm lucky there might be a Mooney there.  And if not when I start making my cross countries I'll see if I can pay 81X and Amelia a visit. 

There were a few Mooneys at the last meeting I attended (at least three including the Ovation I flew). Which of the two October meetings is at your home base?

On 9/15/2019 at 2:22 PM, r0ckst4r said:

Decent chance I’ll be at that breakfast club.  Send me a PM if you’ll be there!  

On 9/13/2019 at 9:36 PM, r0ckst4r said:

I know some of the complaints about it are that it's cramped on the inside but I'm not large myself being only 5'7" and 150lbs so I think it might not be that much of an issue for me.  

The cabin interior width of a Mooney is actually a little wider than a Bonanza.  The reason it feels cramped is that the headroom is less.  The cabin height of a Mooney is much less than that of a Bonanza which gives the illusion that it can be cramped when its width is quite nice compared to some other single engine piston airplanes.  You sit more reclined in a Mooney compared to more upright in a Bonanza or Cessna products.  I am 6'1" and weight 260.  I feel quite comfortable in my C model.  I fly with a friend who also has a C model and before that an A model and he is taller than I am and we fit together in the C model just fine without even rubbing elbows. :) 

• Like 1

I'm at KSUT, Southport, NC.  My missions are typically the same as yours, Florida and New England.  I find my 231 perfect for the missions .... especially getting into cool, smooth air flying back & forth to FL.  More times than I can remember the turbo motor gave me the altitude to have a nice ride above the weather whereas a 201 would have been in IMC.

I'm 6'O" and 200#.  I've flown with my wife and her 6'2" cousin in the back to Daytona for the races several times.  I've asked him if he's cramped and his reply always is "I'm more comfortable back here than flying in coach".

If you want to meet up, I'm easily 60 minutes closer than Amelia in at typical trainer.

• 2 months later...
52 minutes ago, r0ckst4r said:

Anyone thinking of attending the December Breakfast Club meeting at KGGE?

Decent chance I'll be there if the wx is nice.  Last one of the year!  December 15 at 9AM for those on MS not familiar with the SC Breakfast club!