UAvionix Tailbeacon receives STC

vorlon1

Been holding out for the tail version think it will look better than having two dissimilar nav lights on each wing. Now the question is will it be as easy to install on our Mooneys as the wing version.It's just two screws holding the tail lamp with a metal cover.

I ordered the Tailbeacon and will upgrade both of my wingtip nav lights to LED’s. That way the nav lights should outlast the aircraft. My aircraft already had a fairly recent Garmin GTX-327 installed when I bought it earlier this year, so I didn’t want to spend the $ to swap out the transponder. Plus, given the backlog at most every avionics shop, the Tailbeacon is a great alternative. 

On 9/13/2019 at 4:38 PM, bonal said:

Been holding out for the tail version think it will look better than having two dissimilar nav lights on each wing. Now the question is will it be as easy to install on our Mooneys as the wing version.It's just two screws holding the tail lamp with a metal cover.

Yes it really is that easy!  I have attached the install manual below.  You can get a $50 discount here: https://wolfaviationsales.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fuavionix-tail-beacon

tailBeacon-TSO-User-and-Installation-Guide-UAV-1002185-001-Rev-B.pdf

9 hours ago, Jeev said:

Yes it really is that easy!  I have attached the install manual below.  You can get a $50 discount here: https://wolfaviationsales.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fuavionix-tail-beacon

tailBeacon-TSO-User-and-Installation-Guide-UAV-1002185-001-Rev-B.pdf 1.21 MB · 1 download

Has it been confirmed the TailBeacon will fit in the Mooney rudder?  I've been concerned it might be too big to fit.

23 hours ago, MikeOH said:

Has it been confirmed the TailBeacon will fit in the Mooney rudder?  I've been concerned it might be too big to fit.

I have not done one yet but it is a standard tail light with two screws.  Double check the dimensions in the manual I linked above with your current light.  Once I do one locally or another Mooneyspacer gets it in we will have a definite answer.  I don't see why it would not fit.

34 minutes ago, Jeev said:

I have not done one yet but it is a standard tail light with two screws.  Double check the dimensions in the manual I linked above with your current light.  Once I do one locally or another Mooneyspacer gets it in we will have a definite answer.  I don't see why it would not fit.

Thanks!  Somehow I missed the dimensioned drawing when I previously looked for documentation.  All I had found was the mounting template which didn't answer the fitment question.

8 minutes ago, OR75 said:

but then the Feds will be tracking your  ADS-B signal

And it can’t be reconfigured without the WiFi passcode. Pretty easy to find when you’d be broadcasting your location.

Hopefully word gets out that these are worthless unless purchased from a reputable source. However, the A&P that installed mine mentioned that he had heard of SkyBeacons having been stolen already.

also, a screwdriver won’t work to remove it (unless you use it to hack it off the tail)

Edited by MinneMooney