Remote Oil filter kit.

Newowner

Planning to install oil filter on my 66 M20F. Now it has oil screen. It’s all original stock. Going to buy AirWoolf relocation kit. Need advise on part number from aircraft spruce and also how long hoses should be as I have to order them separately. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just buy the Lycoming oil filter adapter for your engine and build a trough out of a piece of PVC pipe to catch the oil when changing the oil.

Remote filter kits add more  clutter to a tight engine compartment, add more to maintain and more hoses to replace.

Clarence

I just had an airwolfe installed on my M20A. There wasn't room for the lycoming adapter. Not to mention a crap ton of cowling screws and three pieces that would have to be moved each oil change just to access the filter.  Now mine sits happily in a corner where its easy to get to. 

So far no experience with it. Still waiting for my engine to get finished. The hoses were suppose to be ordered from Airwolfe before Labor Day. I talked with them the other day and he said he just passed the info on. My mechanic still hasn't heard of them shipping. I think at this point that is all I am waiting on to get my plane back together.

As far as length, it all depends on where you mount it. It's setup to install it, measure, then order the hoses. \

Just my 2 cents. Good luck. I hope to enjoy mine soon. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rinj said:

Not to mention a crap ton of cowling screws and three pieces that would have to be moved each oil change just to access the filter.  

I almost never disagree with Clarence, but in this case I will as it applies to the original cowlings (before the style which uses Camlocs to hold on the tops and sides).

Like Rinj said, using the Lycoming adapter requires the entire cowling to come off, which is a crapload of screws and all three pieces of the cowling.  Every oil change.  Now with my remote oil filter, it is only the right side which is way less than half the screws and less than 1/3 the time.

I'm not sure when they changed the cowling, either 1966 or 67.

I'd vote for the oil filter adapter, if you can make it fit.  The installation is less complex and less weight.  Changing the oil filter isn't that hard. 

I've found that the more often I remove and install my cowling, the less (perceived) time it takes.  The first time, ouch, what a pain.  After a few years with my C, it's just part of the routine. 

Besides, the oil change interval is a good opportunity to look for things amiss under the cowl.  A year between annuals is a long time, no matter how many hours you're flying.  During an annual some years ago, I replaced the #3 exhaust gasket.  There was soot on the cylinder and the gasket was compromised.  Some 25 hours later while changing the oil, I see the same exhaust stain on the #3 cylinder.  Hmmm... further investigated revealed the inboard side of the #3 exhaust stack flange was cracked.  I would not have wanted to wait until the next annual to find that.  I'd likely have been re-facing the exhaust port, best case, or replacing the cylinder, worst case.  Knisley fixed me up in only a couple days.  Did a great job for me, but that's enough thread drift for this post.

Tom

#3_Cracked.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Andy95W said:

I almost never disagree with Clarence, but in this case I will as it applies to the original cowlings (before the style which uses Camlocs to hold on the tops and sides).

Like Rinj said, using the Lycoming adapter requires the entire cowling to come off, which is a crapload of screws and all three pieces of the cowling.  Every oil change.  Now with my remote oil filter, it is only the right side which is way less than half the screws and less than 1/3 the time.

I'm not sure when they changed the cowling, either 1966 or 67.

I should have qualified it with the model year.  Certainly pre 1965 models have more screws to remove and no Camlocs.

Clarence

• 1 year later...

Anyone have a pic or directions for this PVC trough?

I was going to try a funnel and hose, but if someone has something better, will they tell me?

81 J model

Ref Air Wolf installation, I think I’d buy it first then determine where you wanted it and measure for hoses, otherwise your going to end up putting it where the hoses will allow.

I like them because they are easier, often allow a larger filter to be used, and you can pre-fill the filter and I believe that helps some.

Edited by A64Pilot

6 hours ago, hoot777 said:

Just told by aircraft spruce to use LW-13743 at $688 . Seems high but I am a CB   . It’s for a M20 G 1968. Any more thought. Screens worked for a lot of years.

Search Donaldson-Airmaze filter adapter, just over 200.00

Clarence

14 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

Anyone have a pic or directions for this PVC trough?

I’ve got one I made a few years back, will snap a pic tomorrow while at the hangar if no one else does