The downside of good ANR headsets

Dan,

That looks like a well used tire... it probably took years to get the tread so shallow...

Happens faster than you can take your feet off the brake pedals...

Happens easier when you land at flying speeds and hit the brakes too soon...

can happen more often if you have thick soled shoes... making it challenge to know you are on the brakes...

Or so I have been told.... :)

I have also watched somebody in a twin run out of runway... the big smoke show uses up a lot more rubber...

Hope your sense of humor is working well today...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

38 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Happens faster than you can take your feet off the brake pedals...

Happens easier when you land at flying speeds and hit the brakes too soon...

can happen more often if you have thick soled shoes... making it challenge to know you are on the brakes...

To prevent this and other things, I don't brake until the plane slows to 50 mph in its own. Short fields are no problem, I earned PPL and based my Mooney for seven years at an obstructed 3000' field, and only reached the end on purpose to let someone land behind me, or to take off the other direction on calm evenings doing Night Currency landings.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hank said:

To prevent this and other things, I don't brake until the plane slows to 50 mph in its own. Short fields are no problem, I earned PPL and based my Mooney for seven years at an obstructed 3000' field,...

I find a large difference in braking required between a C and long body. I almost never touch the brakes in the C and normally have to add a good bit of power to get off the runway. 

1 hour ago, Ragsf15e said:

In the military we’d call that a midlife tire on the mains.  Lots of life left!

Looked like lots of tread left to me. (except the flat spot)

As for flat spots.  My partner and I have put two on the tires in the last  4 years, one on each tire.  --I was trying to make a taxiway when I made one flat spot :)   That said, I still have tread (and groove) on the flat spots.   It just takes a second, and I don't recall it making any noise. Its more like you can feel  it lock up.

I always turn right to be able to back up into my hangar and need to use differtial braking to make the turn.  That’s probably why my right tire needed to be replaced last annual.  Three tires almost equals a tug I guess.  I’ll need to run that one by the wife. 

18 minutes ago, bradp said:

I always turn right to be able to back up into my hangar and need to use differtial braking to make the turn.  That’s probably why my right tire needed to be replaced last annual.  Three tires almost equals a tug I guess.  I’ll need to run that one by the wife. 

I’m curious what people think about “differential braking” in a mooney... the rudder steering gives full nose wheel authority, no?  Differential braking isn’t going to turn the nose more, just drag it around and possibly damage it?  Or am I wrong?

35 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

I’m curious what people think about “differential braking” in a mooney... the rudder steering gives full nose wheel authority, no?  Differential braking isn’t going to turn the nose more, just drag it around and possibly damage it?  Or am I wrong?

I did 180 turns to the right on a 75' runway for 7 years (she turns tighter right than left; no differential braking, just full rudder).

Since leaving there, I haven't noticed a difference in tire life; nose wheel is always short (4 years?), but in 12 years I've only replaced mains one time and they are still doing well.

1 hour ago, Ragsf15e said:

Three of the four hangars I have been in required differential braking in order to get the nose pointed in the right direction. It definitely reduced the turning radius. I don't know if it's dragging the nose tire if so it doesn't feel like it and I have never seen evidence of it on the tread.

On 9/13/2019 at 4:50 PM, Ragsf15e said:

I use it when I need it. There is no guidance on differential braking in the Limitations section of the POH. I imagine that any stress it puts on the gear is minimal when compared to my landings! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/13/2019 at 11:50 PM, Jeph357 said:

Plasti Dip Spray, Multi-Purpose Rubber Coating (Multiple Colors Available), 11oz, 11203-6

c35a17dd-4010-402d-8942-71051c4ab5f7_1.6

Spray on liberally then sand down to shape.......That easy...Its multi purpose

whatever is left over can be used to seal the leaking tanks, too.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Though some say not to touch flaps on the runway, I find the airplane brakes much better when at zero flaps vs approach flaps.

If you land with half flaps/approach flaps, it's much easier to flat spot the tires as there's more of a lift component at speed and the weight may not be on the wheels, hence the skid.

I learned how to fly my Mooney on a 2400 foot strip.  Thus, for my first 2.5 years of Mooney flying all landings were short field landings and I always retracted my flaps on landing.  Still do out of habit.

-Seth

• Like 4