EDM-900 Download?

afward

My Google-fu is weak...

What is the magical incantation of cables, adapters, & devices to get a USB-equipped EDM-900 to download?  I tried a generic USB A -> USB B adapter and a Verbatim 8GB USB 2 stick, but the EDM wouldn't recognize it...

Calling JPI hasn't be fruitful.

Thanks!

Did you plug it in after it booted?   You have to wait for it to finish booting, then if you plug a drive into the USB port after it is fully awake it'll prompt you if you want to download stuff.

At least, that's what it's supposed to do.   I just use a normal USB drive with an off-the-shelf adapter.

Edited by EricJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am having a hard time following your issue. JPI provided a USB memory stick and the adapter for it with the unit shipped that your installer should have passed onto you? If it’s been lost, they have been known to send another out to you with a phone call. At least, That has been my experience.

If you don’t want to wait, you should be able to find the adapter to interconnect the micro port of the EDM to a USB stick, but I don't recall the standard you'll be looking for. But a call to them can resolve that. Also I believe there is a limit on the size of memory you can plug in to be recognized. Make sure unit has started up before plugging memory in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, I'm not going crazy then...  Wait for boot, exit the refuel question, put in USB, wait 10+ seconds, nothing.  I might need to try a smaller USB stick or a different adapter.  Go figure.

FWIW, the JPI was installed two owners prior to me, and wasn't the best install (k factor is high, tach/hobbs time left at default, amps read backwards, etc.).  I wouldn't be shocked if the installer failed to hand over those parts to the guy paying for the install...

Maybe next time I try calling JPI I can get someone useful on the line. :rolleyes:

I've been downloading from my EDM-900 from the first day. And @kortopates can verify as I've uploaded over 400 flights to SavvyAnalysis. 

Lately I've found the USB key I've been using for all this time, isn't triggering the "download new" option when it's inserted. Sometimes I'd have to plug and unplug a few times before it was recognized. The last time I went to download, I ended up swapping the USB key out for a different one. That seemed to work. 

I'm wondering if there's a loose connection or the plug is wearing out? It's a bit odd. I've done this so many times, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing.

• Thanks 1

See if this sounds familiar...

https://www.jpinstruments.com/FAQ/usb-memory-stick-is-not-recognized/

More here...

https://www.jpinstruments.com/?s=Memory+stick

I didn't See a way to purchase the missing memory stick...

But, to change the amperage to a positive number... find the wires at the shunt and swap them around... probably the easiest route....

calibrating the K factor is a typical user procedure... no time like the present to get it set-up. If it hasn’t been done yet...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I've been downloading from my EDM-900 from the first day. And @kortopates can verify as I've uploaded over 400 flights to SavvyAnalysis. 

Lately I've found the USB key I've been using for all this time, isn't triggering the "download new" option when it's inserted. Sometimes I'd have to plug and unplug a few times before it was recognized. The last time I went to download, I ended up swapping the USB key out for a different one. That seemed to work. 

I'm wondering if there's a loose connection or the plug is wearing out? It's a bit odd. I've done this so many times, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing.

I'll have to try different USB sticks and see if that helps.  Hopefully it's as simple as that.

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

See if this sounds familiar...

https://www.jpinstruments.com/FAQ/usb-memory-stick-is-not-recognized/

More here...

https://www.jpinstruments.com/?s=Memory+stick

I didn't See a way to purchase the missing memory stick...

I came up with the same answers from their site.  I do have a voicemail in to them to call me back, so maybe?

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

But, to change the amperage to a positive number... find the wires at the shunt and swap them around... probably the easiest route....

calibrating the K factor is a typical user procedure... no time like the present to get it set-up. If it hasn’t been done yet...

I've thought about swapping those wires.  Not something I have to get done right now, but it's on the list.  The K factor page didn't appear to let me make changes, but that might be a mis-read on my part.  I'll take a look again.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, afward said:

I came up with the same answers from their site.  I do have a voicemail in to them to call me back, so maybe?

You might try sending them an email. The quickest responses I ever get from any vendor come from JPI when I send an email to "support at jpinstruments.com". Last time took about 10 minutes.

7 hours ago, afward said:

I'll have to try different USB sticks and see if that helps.  Hopefully it's as simple as that.

I've thought about swapping those wires.  Not something I have to get done right now, but it's on the list.  The K factor page didn't appear to let me make changes, but that might be a mis-read on my part.  I'll take a look again.

Thanks!

We have a really good resource for JPI... Jeev has the ability to get some details from JPI... Getting the right memory stick should be pretty easy...

Getting help from JPI can be done... it’s just not as easy as getting help from EI... :)

Swapping the wires might be a five minute project with a knowledgeable mechanic involved... knowing where the shunt is helps...

All engine monitors have to allow for K factor adjustment... like any sensor they can be imperfect and change over time...

The user manual is a download available from JPI... pretty well written for everybody...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

tl;dr: is try reformatting the drive with FAT32 and an allocation unit size of 16k.

I think it may have something to do with the blocksize the disk is formatted with.

The one they provided with my EDM-930 is an 8GB drive formatted with FAT32 and an allocation unit size of 16k.

I’ve tried various drives of various sizes larger and smaller and there didn’t seem to be a rhyme or reason why some were recognized for download and others weren’t. I had always intended to look up how the one they provided was formatted but hadn’t got around to bothering until I saw this thread.

Let us know if that helps!

Yeah, I got the download to work with another (16GB!) drive I had on-hand.  I did re-format it because I'd previously used it to install a Linux distribution (which means it wasn't set up the "standard" way).  Needless to say, that drive is now the JPI download drive and will be used for nothing else. :)

Side note: The drive that wouldn't work is a USB3 drive.  The one that does is USB2.  JPI specifically calls out USB2 in the documentation, so I wonder if the EDM 900 just gets confused when presented with USB3...  It wouldn't be the first time I've seen supposedly backwards-compatible hardware fail to work with downlevel clients.  (For anyone not aware, USB3+ connectors are all supposed to have blue inserts inside to differentiate them from USB2 and below, which are usually white).

• Like 4