Control wheel taper pins

geoffb

i used a small modified C-clamp (cupped so the pin can move), installed the nut flush with the end of the pin, a little pressure and it popped right out

edit:..the cup was wood so it wouldnt screw up the yoke..pin only needs to move a few thou and it will be loose

Edited by RLCarter

A stiffer C-clamp and socket got the right side like RLC's illustration.  The Pilot's side, with the clock is now taunting me.  No where to land the top of the C-clamp and spacer.  Might try routing out a block to fit up there nice.  Would help if these things hadn't been torqued quite so tight.

One of the best  things I've found for driving a taper pin out is (don't laugh or judge) an air chisel with a flat tipped punch. 

Hold it VERY FIRMLY to the pin and use MINIMAL AIR - just enough to get the internal "hammer" of the air chisel gun working.

The pin typically frees within 3 "strikes" without deformation to the pin.  Keep the nut in place so as not to mess up the pin threads, but back it off enough to give you free play for the pin to move.