Mooney Down - W00 - Freeway Airport - Maryland

A Mooney just crash landed on Route 50 at Freeway Airport, W00, in Maryland.

N202JB.

Both occupants alive, both people in the car hit alive.  Not sure of severity of injuries.

A flight plan had the aircraft departing W00 for Clarksburg, WV (CRW).  

The aircraft is not based at W00 but uses the Mooney Service Center there like I do.

https://wtop.com/prince-georges-county/2019/09/small-plane-crash-lands-on-route-50-in-bowie-may-have-hit-car/

The pictures in the linked article are pretty clear.  

Left wing ripped off.

Maybe returning due to issue (likely with the flight plan showing W00 as departure airport).  Freeway is 2400 foot field with obstructions on both ends.  Aircraft may have tried to land with traffic once it got too low as the 18 runway is perpendicular to the east west oriented route 50.  We'll obviously find out more.

-Seth

• Sad 1

In the pics in the link the prop blades are bent backward (indication of no power) and gear is up.  He may have been trying to extend glide to make it to the runway.

He's under a class B shelf of 1500 feet for a bit after departure from that airport.

-Seth

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Seth said:

N202JB.

Both occupants alive, both people in the car hit alive.  Not sure of severity of injuries.

The aircraft is not based at W00 but uses the Mooney Service Center there like I do.

https://wtop.com/prince-georges-county/2019/09/small-plane-crash-lands-on-route-50-in-bowie-may-have-hit-car/

Left wing ripped off.

Maybe returning due to issue (likely with the flight plan showing W00 as departure airport).  Freeway is 2400 foot field with obstructions on both ends.  Aircraft may have tried to land with traffic once it got too low as the 18 runway is perpendicular to the east west oriented route 50.  We'll obviously find out more.

-Seth

THe article says both plane occupants refused being taken to the hospital...good news. It also says the occupants of the car were taken to the hospital for minor injuries..good news.

I will stand down unless something far different is factual.

• Like 5

Hope all involved are ok in the end results. Gotta love the Mooneys chromoly tube cage! But I don't know what they got wrong the article or the picture.....

A small plane crash landed on Route 50 near Freeway Airport in Bowie, Maryland, late Thursday morning, injuring two people and snarling traffic for miles in both directions.

Authorities say it appears the plane had taken off from from the nearby airport when it crashed into a car on the highway shortly before 11:30 a.m.

Two people who were inside the car that was struck were taken to the hospital with minor injuries, according to Prince George’s County Fire and EMS. Two people who were inside the plane were evaluated for injuries but declined to be taken to the hospital.

Photos from the scene show small Cessna in the shoulder of Route 50 at Church Road, alongside large pieces of debris, as well as a silver Nissan with its front end smashed in.

Maryland State Police said the Federal Aviation Administration was headed to the scene to investigate the crash.

Any appropriate updates I get I'll post.  W00, Freeway, is my Mooney MSC and where my Mooney is right now with the engine being removed to be sent out and where my new propeller is heading for install.

Glad everyone is safe.  And true, the passenger cabin intact is part of what Bob Kromer continuously advocates regarding Mooney's in bad situations.  It is indeed a good picture for marketing safety (except the entire crashed airplane aspect).

-Seth

• Like 2

It's now in the news:

Pilot:  Julius Tolson of Laurel, MD - 58 years old

Passenger Michael Garrah of Columbia, MD - 59 years old

I've heard Michael Garrah's name around W00 before. 

Glad they are both okay (as are two guys in the smashed up car).

-Seth

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeph357 said:

Hope all involved are ok in the end results. Gotta love the Mooneys chromoly tube cage! But I don't know what they got wrong the article or the picture.....

A small plane crash landed on Route 50 near Freeway Airport in Bowie, Maryland, late Thursday morning, injuring two people and snarling traffic for miles in both directions.

Authorities say it appears the plane had taken off from from the nearby airport when it crashed into a car on the highway shortly before 11:30 a.m.

Two people who were inside the car that was struck were taken to the hospital with minor injuries, according to Prince George’s County Fire and EMS. Two people who were inside the plane were evaluated for injuries but declined to be taken to the hospital.

Photos from the scene show small Cessna in the shoulder of Route 50 at Church Road, alongside large pieces of debris, as well as a silver Nissan with its front end smashed in.

Maryland State Police said the Federal Aviation Administration was headed to the scene to investigate the crash.

I’ve reached out to my contact at the WTOP who the link was from (personal friend) and let them know Cessna was incorrect and it was a Mooney.  

1 hour ago, larrynimmo said:

Short runway and on top of rt 50 if you are taking off to the north...I have flown in and and out of there in cold weather...google earth pic

0BAE4881-3C33-469C-A88E-B06184BAEA6A.png

I learned how to fly Mooney’s there and used to base my M20F there prior to a hangar opening up at a closer airport to where I live -GAI.  

My Missile I now normally keep at my hangar at GAI except for heavy maintenance at W00.  It’s there now.

4 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Love the view of how the fuselage has survived INTACT, great marketing for Mooney.  Also love the way the news say its a Cessna.  :)

This one occurred at my home drome just yesterday, a few hundred feet from my hangar. The two occupants weren't hurt, but talk about INTACT.

I'm still puzzled as to what happened.

Dakota.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, flyboy0681 said:

This one occurred at my home drome just yesterday, a few hundred feet from my hangar. The two occupants weren't hurt, but talk about INTACT.

I'm still puzzled as to what happened.

Dakota.jpg

Incredible, but two occupants weren't hurt???   Good news!  From looking at the condition of the airframe I have a hard time believing it.  The way the engine mount snapped off the firewall and the engine is just laying there, I would expect that this was a near pancake landing which usually means fractured vertebrae for those inside.   This looks miraculous.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

Incredible, but two occupants weren't hurt???   Good news!  From looking at the condition of the airframe I have a hard time believing it.  The way the engine mount snapped off the firewall and the engine is just laying there, I would expect that this was a near pancake landing which usually means fractured vertebrae for those inside.   This looks miraculous.

Here is video of the incident, it did pancake somewhat.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Small-Plane-Crash-at-Boca-Raton-Airport-One-Person-Taken-to-Hospital-560038701.html

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing that video @flyboy0681.  There was a lot more energy expended in friction sliding across the ground than the image above suggests given the relationship between the fuselage and separated engine.   Maybe the rescue crew separated the engine.   That guy in the video was lucky to be missed too!   It is always great to see accidents not turn out horribly.

• Like 1

Spinning on the ground and ripping parts off in a chain link fence is a great way to dissipate energy.   Glad the Piper folks weren't hurt too badly.

Also glad this Mooney crash wasn't worse.   I hope I never have to assess whether to land on a roadway with traffic on it.   As many videos that we see where it miraculously works out, I always expect it to go more like this one did, where the airplane and automobile traffic don't mix so cleanly.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Seth said:

N202JB.

Left wing ripped off.

-Seth

Yikes!  I used to live and teachbin Annapolis and drove down 50 and past w00 a lot.  What a think s car crash and no serious injuries.

e

Edited by aviatoreb