Hangar distance

JimB

Hangar distance  

97 members have voted

1. 1. How far do you drive to get to your aircraft?

• Less than 15 minutes
    • 15-30 minutes
    • 30-45 minutes
    • 45 minutes plus

1 hour ago, Bob_Belville said:

I am blessed to live in a small city and to pay $250/mo for a like new T hangar with power bi-fold door, lights and multiple 115V outlets 230V for 5 HP compressor.

KMRN has a 5500' x 100' runway. About 10 minutes from the house.

Hangar has plenty of room for tools, supplies and office. No hangar rash, fuel truck comes to hangar, @AGL Aviation, 100 yards away. Lynn can come by on his golf cart to do installs, annuals, other maintenance and bless the work I do myself.

IMG_20180629_171729504_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180710_142512734_HDR.jpg

An oriental rug under your plane? High class!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, carusoam said:

Where are all our hangar home Mooney guys?

I’m 10miles away... far enough that when you leave something behind, you are not going back...

Check lists start leaving the house... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Present.  About 120 feet.  If you ever have an opportunity to live with your plane, do it!

C66DFF88-2EB4-45A7-AA82-CF95F260BC27.jpeg

• Like 5

13 hours ago, RLCarter said:

25 miles away, not too bad as long as the expressway isn't jammed up

I understand this all too well. Living in Southern California I need a distance option instead of time. I'm either 15 minutes or 45 minutes away, depending on traffic. Plus side to the new location is that one of the dealerships I work at is about 5 minutes away, I usually spend my lunch on those days at the hangar.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

I am blessed to live in a small city and to pay $250/mo for a like new T hangar with power bi-fold door, lights and multiple 115V outlets 230V for 5 HP compressor.

Hangar has plenty of room for tools, supplies and office. No hangar rash, fuel truck comes to hangar, @AGL Aviation, 100 yards away. Lynn can come by on his golf cart to do installs, annuals, other maintenance and bless the work I do myself.

You've got it WAY TO GOOD, BOB!

Tom

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

I've got the same ground tug!  We bought it many years ago for our mercy flight organization and then moved up to a "Best Tug" (Oh, that one is Awesome).  I asked to buy the old on, dead batteries and all, and some of the old timers in our org made a motion and passed it before I could say no to sell it to me for $200.  I had all I could do to stop them from giving it to me (I donate a ton of time to the org).  A set of new batteries and a new operator switch and it tugs the Lancair, with 160 gallons of fuel, just fine.  Well, except on ice in the winter time.

Tom

• Like 1

11 hours ago, steingar said:

Were I doing a lot of maintenance I would want my own hangar, and the increased distance would not be a major factor.  Were I just flying proximity would be the major concern.  It can't be easy to wrench on anything when you can't keep your tools close.

My hangar is better appointed than my garage. I typically do i my vehicle oil changes (and other owner mx) there because of the tool selection and the fact that the recycling drum is at the end of my hangar row.

5 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

The Persian is a nice touch. I started retiring my old oriental rugs to the airport years ago. We have the same tug in the same color but mine has a briggs and stratton 

Edited by Shadrach

My drive is just under 15 minutes at home, but when in Florida, it's the first step out my back door!

Picture from this past spring with my Lancair in the hangar, and @Deb (David and Debbie's) plane on the apron in front of the hangar.

It won't be too long shared time between the Florida home and the Michigan home will be a little more balanced.

Tom

August 7, 2019 Download 359.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

I've got the same ground tug!  We bought it many years ago for our mercy flight organization and then moved up to a "Best Tug" (Oh, that one is Awesome).  I asked to buy the old on, dead batteries and all, and some of the old timers in our org made a motion and passed it before I could say no to sell it to me for $200.  I had all I could do to stop them from giving it to me (I donate a ton of time to the org).  A set of new batteries and a new operator switch and it tugs the Lancair, with 160 gallons of fuel, just fine.  Well, except on ice in the winter time.

Tom

Tom, mine cost $300 in 2014 - it had been sitting in the FBO's storage hangar, belonged to a guy who had sold his Cherokee 2 or 3 years earlier. The 24V battery was shot but I had a couple of Concorde 12Vs that were not airworthy but are still going strong 5 years later. I simplified the variable speed switch. The tug is great for a Mooney.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob_Belville said:

Tom, mine cost $300 in 2014 - it had been sitting in the FBO's storage hangar, belonged to a guy who had sold his Cherokee 2 or 3 years earlier. The 24V battery was shot but I had a couple of Concorde 12Vs that were not airworthy but are still going strong 5 years later. I simplified the variable speed switch. The tug is great for a Mooney.

Got any better pictures? Does it lift the nose gear? If so, what does the lifting? Your leverage on the handle?

I'm always looking for ways to perfect my design.

5 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Got any better pictures? Does it lift the nose gear? If so, what does the lifting? Your leverage on the handle?

I'm always looking for ways to perfect my design.

Don, no there are rollers fore and aft of the nose wheel. 

https://dragger.com/product/nose-dragger-dragger-electric-differential/

5 hours ago, Skates97 said:

I understand this all too well. Living in Southern California I need a distance option instead of time. I'm either 15 minutes or 45 minutes away, depending on traffic. Plus side to the new location is that one of the dealerships I work at is about 5 minutes away, I usually spend my lunch on those days at the hangar.

Use to go to Torrance, Cypress or Brea back in the late 80's and 90's, traffic wasn't too bad and it would of helped if I knew where I was going...

I’m an hour away and pay almost the highest rent in the area $385 for a half concrete floor/ half gravel manual sliding door t-hangar. We’re in the unlucky situation of being medium to small towns with a lack of hangar space. I’m on a waiting list for one that’s closer, it’s only 45 minutes away. It sounds awesome to be able to walk out of the house and into your hangar like some guys on here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

On 9/12/2019 at 7:36 AM, Mooneymite said:

30 second walk.

Owning your own hangar on your own land is a great way to justify hangar cost as an investment.  The utility and convenience of living with your plane is hard to beat.

Mine is only a 15 second walk!  With this Georgia heat (97f today), if I had a 30 second walk I would need to  bring extra water.

lee

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

The engine drive version of mine was free.  But it had an old Techumsum engine.  So an $80 harbor freight engine and we were back in business.

• Like 1