Hangar distance

JimB

Hangar distance  

97 members have voted

1. 1. How far do you drive to get to your aircraft?

• Less than 15 minutes
    • 15-30 minutes
    • 30-45 minutes
    • 45 minutes plus

This is my first aircraft ownership and right now I am in a community hangar. Overall its a pretty good experience. The management and the line guys are great. No issues other than anytime I want the aircraft out of the hangar to fly or ground run, I need to plan ahead. My aircraft is typically buried behind 9 other aircraft that have to come out first and the line guys maybe busy servicing corporate customers. If I wasn't doing all my own maintenance this probably wouldn't be as big of a problem. They have been accommodating with that too but I have an annual coming do and a pretty big panel/avionics upgrade planned.

It's great because it is 12 minutes from my house. Most of the T-hangars that are available are 30-40 minutes away and that seems really long when I only have to go 12 now but maybe my expectations are off. So how far does everyone have to drive to get their Mooney? 

Funny you brought this up.  I live 5 minutes from my airport, but lose my hangar at the end of the month.  I am in the middle of purchasing one at an airport that is about 45 minutes from home, but 15 minutes from work.  Still hoping to find a rental (affordable) nearby or eventually I suspect we will move closer to work and hangar.  During ownership, on a average I have beeen 30 minutes away.  I can tell you, there is nothing like being 5 minutes away.  I fly far more and am far less frustrated when working on the plane, especially when you forget something, like an airport badge or a tool.  Your situation with the group hangar adds another dynamic that is a consideration.  Having the plan towed adds a risk of gear damage that needs to be factored in, plus many community hangars frown on work being done, especially if you go up on jacks.  Sounds like you have a better situation in that regard.  I suspect you are also paying reasonable rent...that is my biggest issue here in CT.

I use two hangars at different airports that both take 23 minutes drive time.  I don’t mind it but it does limit my flying when trying to carve time out of a busy schedule. What is nice is how fast I can get in the air after I arrive. Short taxi and low traffic saturation help a lot in this regard. 

• Like 1

Currently 10 mins from my concrete floored T with electric. Closing on a new house that is 41miles away at the end of the month. Some small farm strips and airports nearby. Waiting lists and expense make moving the plane to closer strips unlikely. Farmers have no insentive to rent space to me, so I’m like going to leave the plane where it is and reposition it for family XC trips.

My first five years of ownership were spent almost an hour away from the plane. But it was where I could get a hangar at a reasonable cost. Now I'm only 20 minutes from the plane, but I had to buy the hangar to get it.

I'm in an oversized (made for a KingAir) T hangar. I had to buy the hangar and pour my own concrete floor. But it's nice now and only 20 minutes from the house.

• Like 2

Our 1700sq-ft box hangar works but with 2 planes the Mooney get blocked in by the 172. Taking the 172 out then the Mooney and putting the 172 back and closing the doors, only to do it all over again when you get back will wear you out. Reaching old fart status has me looking at tugs more and more

1 hour ago, steingar said:

Were I doing a lot of maintenance I would want my own hangar, and the increased distance would not be a major factor.  Were I just flying proximity would be the major concern.  It can't be easy to wrench on anything when you can't keep your tools close.

This is what I am struggling with. I did install my EDm 900 in the community hangar earlier this year and it wasn't terrible. The problem is when you want to go work on it for just an hour or two, you need to access everything each time and then put everything away again when you get done so the aircraft is at least movable. As far jacking, defueling, etc, the management has been really easy to work with and I haven't had any problems but wow it would be nice to be in my own hangar with my tools, jacks, lights, extensions cords, shelving etc. all set up. 

Currently in a T hangar 20 minutes away from the house, but it's 30 minutes from work.  Before that I was 1 minute from the plane, which was awesome, but that was on a 2200'x 30' grass strip that only had enough room to turn around on one end.  It kept me on my toes knowing that I had 1800' from when I crossed the power lines to make the midfield turn off or I'd have to get out and push!

Now I'm landing on a 12300' x 150' runway and I've noticed my landing accuracy is quickly deteriorating!

3 miles or 70 minutes.   Depends on where I am when I want to go fly.   Last week when I was 70 minutes away, drove past my friends field.   Went to the plane to fly back to his field.  Had lunch flew back,  Then spent the afternoon putting out a fire on 20 round bales and 3 acres of grass.   Flying is not really supposed to make sense.

6 minutes ago, Yetti said:

3 miles or 70 minutes.   Depends on where I am when I want to go fly.   Last week when I was 70 minutes away, drove past my friends field.   Went to the plane to fly back to his field.  Had lunch flew back,  Then spent the afternoon putting out a fire on 20 round bales and 3 acres of grass.   Flying is not really supposed to make sense.

Yep, I've driven from Harlingen to Weslaco just so I could fly to the EAA meeting in Harlingen..... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just a minute over 15,  I think your position in the hangar would be way worse if you were in front of the others would be moving constantly. We have been in shared hangars three to be exact and there was always something going on that I wasn't happy about. Now we are in a nice T with no one else and I really like knowing it's not going to be touched by anyone. 30 to 40 minutes isn't too bad and would be worth for the piece of mind that it's not being handled by anyone but you.

• Like 2

I am blessed to live in a small city and to pay $250/mo for a like new T hangar with power bi-fold door, lights and multiple 115V outlets 230V for 5 HP compressor.

KMRN has a 5500' x 100' runway. About 10 minutes from the house.

Hangar has plenty of room for tools, supplies and office. No hangar rash, fuel truck comes to hangar, @AGL Aviation, 100 yards away. Lynn can come by on his golf cart to do installs, annuals, other maintenance and bless the work I do myself.

IMG_20180629_171729504_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180710_142512734_HDR.jpg

• Like 3